Sign in to follow this  
Boba Rick

Tycho Celchu

So when it comes to stress tokens, they have no effect on him as far as doing additional actions.  But then you can't do another red maneuver, right?  Or is there a way around that?

Tycho ingores the effects of stress when performing ANY actions, not just additional. But he still suffers the red maneuver restriction. It's not unheard of for him to be flying around with a bucket load of stress token in tow. Some players have bragged about how many they've managed to accumulate in a game.

I've been told you're not flying him right if he doesn't have at least eight stress before the game ends. :D

Eight stress tokens? That's merely three rounds of play. Make that 20.

Some players have bragged about how many they've managed to accumulate in a game.

When flying Tycho I always bring a pair of D20. Much simpler than using tokens. :D

It's worth mentioning that an a-wing only has a single red maneuver, the k-turn. So that is the only maneuver a stressed Tycho can't perform (baring damage cards that turn other things red) and given so e of the shenanigans that an a-wing can pull, no k-turn us not much of a restriction.

So when it comes to stress tokens, they have no effect on him as far as doing additional actions.  But then you can't do another red maneuver, right?  Or is there a way around that?

Tycho ingores the effects of stress when performing ANY actions, not just additional. But he still suffers the red maneuver restriction. It's not unheard of for him to be flying around with a bucket load of stress token in tow. Some players have bragged about how many they've managed to accumulate in a game.

And some players have created scenarios where the objective is to gain as many as possible.

http://tools.fantasyflightgames.com/xwing/htmlpreview/2516/

Yes Tycho will frequently lose his K-turn while being stressed. Though if you put Daredevil on him as one of his Elite Pilot Talent, then he can make a sharp 1 turn and another sharp 1 turn from Daredevil as his action, if you add PTL (Push the Limit) on he can do another action.. from his action bar, should you want a focus, target lock, boost or an evade token.

_____

Experimental interface kind of works similar... but  it can only utilize actions off a card... so in effect it can only perform Daredevil (the down side) usually at the expense of Autothrusters. The up side is that instead of using up an EPT for Push the Limit you can put something else like Out Maneuver. I bounce between these two Tycho builds... not sure which one I like better.

Edited by Dej2

19!

19!

Nineteen Factorial? Wow, that's worthy of praise.

To be honest once I hit about 6 or 7 we just agree that he is permanently stressed for the rest of the game but I have heard epic tales of tycho one shooting a phantom with about 16 stress tokens in tow.

If Tycho is using PTL and he has another ship using Squad Leader and gives him an action... can he pull off 4 actions in one turn? Does Squad Leader trigger PTL and when Tycho performs his own action can he use PTL again?

If Push the Limit weren't limited to once per round, Tycho could take actions until he ran out of actions.

Page 8, under Card Abilities:

"A card ability cannot be resolved more than once during the timing specified on the card."

This means that, if PTL wasn't limited to once per round:

Tycho Chelchu:

1. Focus

2. took an action, trigger PTL

3. PTL for: Target Lock <-- PTL has not yet resolved, timing specified on card is still in effect from the original triggering of PTL.

4. Success! You took a second action, PTL moves to resolution: Assign One Stress Token, Instance of PTL fully resolved

Error 404: No Action Found - you would need to take a third action after the resolution of the first PTL timing event specified on the card in order to trigger PTL a second time.

In effect the wording of the card ("once per round") is entirely to prevent PTLing on passed actions if you've already PTLed. Otherwise Tycho could go crazy with: action PTL action EI upgrade card action. Han uses Squad Leader, Tycho: action PTL action. End activation phase. Combat phase: Cracken shoots, Tycho: action PTL action (It is worth noting that at this point Tycho would be looking at Cracken and saying: "Perform a free action? WHAT ACTION? I've done them all!").

If Push the Limit weren't limited to once per round, Tycho could take actions until he ran out of actions.

"A card ability cannot be resolved more than once during the timing specified on the card."

Tycho Chelchu:

1. Focus

3. PTL for: Target Lock <-- PTL has not yet resolved, timing specified on card is still in effect from the original triggering of PTL.

4. Success! You took a second action, PTL moves to resolution: Assign One Stress Token, Instance of PTL fully resolved

Error 404: No Action Found - you would need to take a third action after the resolution of the first PTL timing event specified on the card in order to trigger PTL a second time.

In effect the wording of the card ("once per round") is entirely to prevent PTLing on passed actions if you've already PTLed. Otherwise Tycho could go crazy with: action PTL action EI upgrade card action. Han uses Squad Leader, Tycho: action PTL action. End activation phase. Combat phase: Cracken shoots, Tycho: action PTL action (It is worth noting that at this point Tycho would be looking at Cracken and saying: "Perform a free action? WHAT ACTION? I've done them all!").

I can see how you're getting there from the "once per opportunity" rule, but I don't think that's how it works.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're interpreting "the timing specified on the card" to mean "a time interval that begins with the card's triggering event and ends when the card's effect has resolved". From there it follows naturally that you couldn't trigger a second PtL off the action taken during the first PtL.

I think "the timing specified on the card" doesn't extend to cover the full resolution of the card, but just the triggering condition. So the window for Push the Limit is an interval that begins after you perform an action (the triggering condition of PtL) and ends when you're done declaring effects that trigger off that action. It's there to keep you from triggering PtL twice off the same action, not to keep you from triggering PtL while PtL is resolving.

Of course this is all academic, because PtL is limited to once per round. As far as I know there aren't any currently-released cards that can generate a situation where it matters which one of us is right about the meaning of the opportunity rule, so I'm content to agree to disagree.

Can anybody think of a situation where you could nest another instance of an effect inside itself and the only thing stopping you is ZealuxMyr's reading of the opportunity rule?

I think your interpretation of the once per opportunity rule is correct, digitalbusker. It's really aimed at the timing of the trigger. One example that's been discussed recently was, can Guri assign more than one focus token if there's more than one enemy at Range 1? Well the timing specified on the card is "at the start of the Combat phase", and that only happens once per round, so you can't really loop the ability during that timing to gain multiple focus tokens.

Push the Limit's specified timing is immediately after performing an action, so it has a single timing point in which to trigger, even though it's resolution may take quite a long time depending on the free action taken and any other triggers that may occur in there (EI springs to mind).

Tycho Chelchu:

1. Focus

I can see how you're getting there from the "once per opportunity" rule, but I don't think that's how it works.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're interpreting "the timing specified on the card" to mean "a time interval that begins with the card's triggering event and ends when the card's effect has resolved". From there it follows naturally that you couldn't trigger a second PtL off the action taken during the first PtL.

I think "the timing specified on the card" doesn't extend to cover the full resolution of the card, but just the triggering condition. So the window for Push the Limit is an interval that begins after you perform an action (the triggering condition of PtL) and ends when you're done declaring effects that trigger off that action. It's there to keep you from triggering PtL twice off the same action, not to keep you from triggering PtL while PtL is resolving.

Of course this is all academic, because PtL is limited to once per round. As far as I know there aren't any currently-released cards that can generate a situation where it matters which one of us is right about the meaning of the opportunity rule, so I'm content to agree to disagree.

Can anybody think of a situation where you could nest another instance of an effect inside itself and the only thing stopping you is ZealuxMyr's reading of the opportunity rule?

I do like how you explained this far better than my explanation. Especially because my explanation left me wondering how to justify an A-Wing with two PTL upgrade cards (that are not limited to once per round) not being able to trigger each card separately and thus get all its actions by cycling which card triggers when (one off the first action and one of the second action and so on).

And, as must remain clear, this is purely academic.  ;)

Tycho Chelchu:

1. Focus

I do like how you explained this far better than my explanation. Especially because my explanation left me wondering how to justify an A-Wing with two PTL upgrade cards (that are not limited to once per round) not being able to trigger each card separately and thus get all its actions by cycling which card triggers when (one off the first action and one of the second action and so on).

And, as must remain clear, this is purely academic.  ;)

Besides, A-wing test pilot specifies that you cannot take 2 of the same Elite Talents, so no dbl-ptl.