Sign in to follow this  
Dagonet

"Bad" Movie night

Now, if you'd said Highlander II...

No one should ever say Highlander II, not for any reason.

I 'made' my oldest son watch Highlander with me. After it was done I told him about the sequels, and he just looked at me then asked how there could be sequels.

There can be only one (Highlander movie)!

If you want something that you can have a good laugh at, but that is also somewhat enjoyable on its own limited merits, you can't go far wrong with the 60s Batman series. Camp as hell, but oh so funny when viewed through the lens of extreme irony! Same goes for the old Thunderbirds and Stingray series (I'd say Captain Scarlet as well, but that was genuinely decent for what it was if I recall). 

Good call on Captain Scarlet being descent. (Otherwise there would have been fan rage on my part ;) )

Thunderbirds was fairly standard (untill Lady Penelope rocks up in that pink rolls royce of her.)

Stingray, ho boy! "Anything can happen in the next half hour!" No kidding. Brilliantly cheesy. I do love that ending song.

It has at times the most hilarious dialogue, such as this:

Undersea minion: "But- but- but Sire! We-"

Undersea king: "Why do all my subjects have to use the word "but"?" (ROFL!)

How about the batman movie? (The Adam West one) I can barly watch trough the entire thing! By the time Robin (Not me! The Batman one!) comes up with the most insane nonsense to solve the Riddler's riddles (Turkeys gobble up) and it turns out he's correct- AAAARGH! Pisses me off everytime.

Also the Joker having a (painted over) mustache is awesome!

How about Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory? Not that "bad" really. Gene Wilder is the only Willy Wonka.

The movie is best seen with a pile of candy within reach, as you will get hungry, probably somewhere during the intro...

Fun facts:

• The title was changed from "Charlie -" to "Willy Wonka -" because at the time "Charlie" meant "Viet Cong".
  • It was banned in Germany (where it was partly shot) for some reason.
  • Peter Ostrum's (Charlie) reaction at Wonka yelling at him is genuine because Wilder hadn't told him how he was gonna play the scene. Freaked the poor kid out. :)
  • During the candy man song you can see a young extra get hit on her chin when the store clerck walks out of the bar. Watch closely it's at 2.18!

Plan 9 from Outer Space

"Is it true that this movie won the Golden Turkey award for being the worst film ever made?

While Plan 9 from Outer Space has been called a contender for the worst film ever made, it was actually Ed Wood, Jr himself who won the Golden Turkey award posthumously for being the worst director ever. Wood's movies are noted for technical errors, unsophisticated special effects, idiosyncratic dialogue, eccentric casts, and outlandish plot elements."

Also good to watch: Just about anything that's 50's sci-fi/ horror or any of the Gamera movies.

Personal 50's faves:

Them! (giant insects? check. radiation? Check. Soldiers? check. Hammy acting? Check!)

Plan 9 from outer space (ah the old stand by "worst movie ever".)

it the terror from beyond space (No not Pennywise! Spaceship? Check. Rubber monster? Check.)

The thing from outer space (No not the John Carpnter one! Or the crap remake! Alien invasion? check!)

The giant claw (Ho boy, this is a bad one. Drinking game: take a shot everytime somebody sais "battleship.")

Plan 9 from Outer Space

"Is it true that this movie won the Golden Turkey award for being the worst film ever made?

While Plan 9 from Outer Space has been called a contender for the worst film ever made, it was actually Ed Wood, Jr himself who won the Golden Turkey award posthumously for being the worst director ever. Wood's movies are noted for technical errors, unsophisticated special effects, idiosyncratic dialogue, eccentric casts, and outlandish plot elements."

For more Wood (stop laughing!) also check out Bride of the monster (Lugosi yelling "pull the string!" is awesome to me.) I also liked Orgy of the dead. (Chrisswel and naked dancing chicks! What's not to like?) Seriously this is fulll of nudity so to any kids reading this: you have been warned!

Edited by Robin Graves

How about:

The Stuff

The Thing

The Blob

or

Killer Klowns from outer Space

Attack of the Killer Tomatos

They Live!

Someone already said The Last Starfighter, a personal favorite

I'm particulary fond of martial arts movies of various levels of cheesyness.

Just about anything from Shaw Bros/Golden Harvest is good.

• Five deadly venoms,
  • Five elements ninja
  • House of Traps
  • Shogun Assassin
  • Master of the flying guillotine
  • Shaolin & Wutang
  • Kid with the golden arm
  • Close encounters of the spooky kind
  • Taosim Drunkard
  • 36th chamber of shaolin
  • Ninja in the deadly trap
  • Born invincible
  • Web of death
  • the Chinese ghost story trilogy

And those are just some of my personal favorites.

Go and watch where the Wu-Tang Clan got all their samples from. ;)

If you want ninja action, start off with Revenge of the ninja, then, American ninja, anything with the word "ninja" in the title and then slowly work your way down to stuffs as "Ninja the protector" and anything by Godfrey Ho especially if it stars Pierre Kirby!

If you don't feel like ninja's you can always break out the Bruceplotation (if you feel Enter the dragon is to good for a bad movie night) Movies such as Game of death, Game of death II and (god help you) The dragon lives again.

Edited by Robin Graves

I still say you cant beat 'ninja terminator'.

YOu get not one but THREE martial arts films all rolled into one, and its borderline incomprehensible :)

Whats not to love about the 'camo ninja' who owns a garfield phone and has to defend his home from an attack of drunken crabs :)

Several contributors to channel awesome/TGWTG made their own tribute to it called Ninja the mission Force. (including the camo ninja and the garfield Phone)

Still camo would work for ninja. It's way better than the red, bright blue and gold of the 5 elements ninjas.

I particularly like how in 'The Ninja Squad'  (an 'epic tale of action and romance... there is ZERO romance unless you consider blazing away with M16s and uzis as some sort of foreplay) not only are all the Ninjas colour coded like some sort of power ranger but they also have headbands with 'ninja' written on them in case you were not sure that the guy in full martial arts 'gi' , a hooded cowl, mask and a metric shedload of blades, throwing weapons and nunchucks was a ninja  :)

You have listed 'mediocre' movies.

I collect truly bad film, fllm so bad its good.

Try out:

Bronx Warriors

Ninja Terminator

Hell comes to frog town

Zombie flesh eater (2 or 3)

To name but a few

'the ninja squad' and 'golden ninja warrior' get honourable mentions.

Holy ****, there's someone else in this world that has seen a frogtown movie.

If we're talking enjoyable yet truly bad movies?

Then I'd go with:

- Troll 2 (no need to see the first Troll, as Troll 2 has nothing to do with the first film or even trolls for that matter)

- Warrior of the Lost World (my favorite bad movie of all time)

- Eliminators

- Arena (1989)

- Gor

These should give you your fix.  And make for a great party.

Oh, and if you're looking for a flick that perfectly satirizes all of those cheesy 80s low-budget fantasy films?  Look no further than Your Highness.  Ha.  Danny McBride just kills it!

And sign me up as another fan who loves movies like Krull, Flash Gordon, Enemy Mine, The Last Starfighter, The Neverending Story, Tron, The Black Hole, and Condorman.  Those films are not bad at all!  They're cult classics!

Ooh The black hole! Another nice one!

Let me add:

Dark Star: John Carpenters first flick (and together with "It, terror from outer space", the inspiration for "Alien".)

Star Crash: Itallian SW rip off that stars David Hasselhoff (Wait, what?)

Life Force: Awesome scifi horror movie by Tobe Texas chainsaw massacre Hooper.

Abandoned spaceship? Check. Zombie apocalypse? check. Naked space vampire chick? Wha- I mean check!

Patric Stewart kissing a guy*? What? Check! Awesome score? Check!

* It makes sense in context. Still you'll never look at cap. Picard the same way again. ;)

No-ones said they live yet?

Glad Kung fury is there -most movies in the original couple of posts wern't bad though.

What you want is terrible 80s - 90s b-movie horror trash.

So, Troma it is then. Let's start with blood sucking freaks, at least for the most... creative... execution I have ever seen.

I always recommend terror firmer. tromeo and juliet features the late great Lemmy.

At least 3 of the toxic avengers, class of nuke em high...

Shogun Assassin was mentioned, that was our first VHS...

Hobo with a Shotgun deserves mention.

Night of the Lepus.

If you want to go worst ever: Manos - the hands of fate.

Edited by DariusAPB

Also +1 to Life force I seem to recall two excellent reasons to watch that movie...

I have Dark star but find it hard to watch HOWEVER: Star One - spaced out.

The entire space metal album is amazing but spaced out is perhaps my third favourite on that album. (Sorry, but Star child (2001 a space oddysey) and Intergalactic space crusaders (Blakes 7) are better.

Basically project star one is a concept group who do songs based on different sci fi series. The first album has references to ESB, Dune, Star trek IV, Stargate, enemy mine etc...

Second i've not heard as much of, but i know it references the Matrix on one track.

Edited by DariusAPB