Sign in to follow this  
Junjie2

Advice Wanted: Building a Gaming Table

I made "Hobby" desk out of a solid core door for building model aircraft. used two prefab kitchen cabinet/drawers for the "legs"  on each side of the chair space works great and i have storage space. One other good thing about using the kitchen cabinet units as legs is the table is slightly taller. also makes really solid and good looking unit. I am going to make a gaming table the same way but will finish it with a black Formica sheet. i am just not familiar with cutting Formica. Its also kind of pricey so i might just skip that since i have a ton of different mats.My problem is trying to figure out how to make the table configurable to a 4x3 4x5 and of course 3x80" for epic...  4x3 is the perfect size for normal game play... 4x5 would fit my 4x4 mat that we use occasionally for multi player "fur ball" games.and 3x80" is a good size for epic..  actually 4x80 would be better but i dont have infinite space.. so I was trying to figure out some kind of configuration where i could add a leaf or two to change the size. the 3x4 to 3x80" configuration would be pretty easy to do using a solid core door with a leaf in the center. Have even thought about using those under desk keybord holders for card storage. slide them out when needed..

Check out some of the wood working sites. I've discovered that there is all kinds of weird stuff available to wood workers like locking hinges, drawer slides and guides. You might find something that will solve your problem.

6x4 is the size I am leaning towards. dont know about the OP decision..  

If I need to play Epic or any other larger format, I have a ping-pong table I can use. It's just unwieldy for regular 3' x 3' games. 

I picked 4' x 4' because it would be replacing another square table. It's used for other table games such as cards or Mahjong or anything else that doesn't require a rectangular gaming table.