Sign in to follow this  
UsernameNumber

Tips for playing with large groups?

Hello!

I just played Imperial Assault for the first time with a couple of friends. We did the first mission of the campaign, using the special rules that give each hero two activation tokens since there were only two of them, and we had a great time. We definitely want to start meeting regularly to play through a whole campaign, but although only two could make it for the first run, several more have expressed an interest in joining the campaign. 

I notice that the box says 2-5 players, but there are 6 hero sheets, plus the imperials. So my question is, if I end up with a group of 7 counting myself, does the game still work with all six heroes in play? If not, has anyone devised rules to compensate? 

I've noticed that there are only four activation tokens, so one thing I've considered is having people play all six heroes, but making them still only have four activations per round and requiring them to decide at the beginning of each round who gets them (or maybe letting them decide who gets the next token after each Imperial move?). That might prevent the extra heroes from overwhelming the Imperials, but then it also means that at least two PCs per round don't get to do anything. 

If anyone has advice I welcome hearing it!

One thing to consider is that while you (if you're the Imperials) will be playing half the time, they're only going to be playing 1/12 the time.  That is a really bad number.  You might be better off getting a second copy and playing a 4 player and a 3 player.  There are a lot of possibilities to homebrew ways to link the two games like doing both side missions at once, crossing the rebels over to the different imperial player etc.

One suggestion that may or may not be in that link, tag team the Imperials.  If you have an extra player let him join your team, divvy up the activations of your imperial troops and watch the rebel scum quiver in fear as you take turns pointing at the up coming plot twists and snickering behind the campaign book.

One suggestion that may or may not be in that link, tag team the Imperials.  If you have an extra player let him join your team, divvy up the activations of your imperial troops and watch the rebel scum quiver in fear as you take turns pointing at the up coming plot twists and snickering behind the campaign book.

That worked for these Brits, for whatever that's worth.

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/imperial-assault-joining-dark-sidekick/