Sign in to follow this  
RusakRakesh

Expanded universe is defunct

DeathByGrotz, they are similar in a very sweeping sense, biotech and all that, but lack a lot of the motivation and such behind the 'Vong as people have put out there, the comparison was made in a very snide and derisive way (as Max puts it) and I stick by my opinion that it was made to dismiss me rather than assist me. The Tyranids are not the 'Vong, I am looking for assistance involving the 'Vong, not a psudo-Vong that is kinda close.

Well, if you want to be hurt about a very valid comparison you dismiss because of your own ignorance of how Tyranids are used in campaigns, by all means, go right ahead. It's your loss. Dismissal wasn't my intention, right until this post. You dismissed yourself.

I'm okay with the Vong, if only for one reason. They paved the way for my favorite Star Wars era. The Legacy era. Those comics were fun to read. It's a shame Volume II wasn't able to blossom like the first series did.

DeathByGrotz, they are similar in a very sweeping sense, biotech and all that, but lack a lot of the motivation and such behind the 'Vong as people have put out there, the comparison was made in a very snide and derisive way (as Max puts it) and I stick by my opinion that it was made to dismiss me rather than assist me. The Tyranids are not the 'Vong, I am looking for assistance involving the 'Vong, not a psudo-Vong that is kinda close.

Well, if you want to be hurt about a very valid comparison you dismiss because of your own ignorance of how Tyranids are used in campaigns, by all means, go right ahead. It's your loss. Dismissal wasn't my intention, right until this post. You dismissed yourself.

Postmodernist doublespeak at its finest, and more insults to boot.

Edited by MaxKilljoy

I am okay with ugly. I somewhat draw the line at self-mutilation (I hope that's the right word) though. The Vong always looked like the orcs from the LotR movies to me. Which is a fine design for the right setting, but basically fusing non-force, organic weaponry and Space-Orcs together did not make a great Star Wars villain. The teased droid army of self-aware droids would have been a better challenge. 

But the biggest "crime" I accuse the Vong about? Retconning basically EVERYTHING Palpatine did as a way to unite the galaxy against the coming Vong Invasion.

I am okay with ugly. I somewhat draw the line at self-mutilation (I hope that's the right word) though. The Vong always looked like the orcs from the LotR movies to me. Which is a fine design for the right setting, but basically fusing non-force, organic weaponry and Space-Orcs together did not make a great Star Wars villain. The teased droid army of self-aware droids would have been a better challenge. 

But the biggest "crime" I accuse the Vong about? Retconning basically EVERYTHING Palpatine did as a way to unite the galaxy against the coming Vong Invasion.

Indeed - that always bugs me when someone tries to retcon a total villain into some kind of misunderstood hero...

(And agreed... the Vong were just too much at once... anti-machine, crazy biotech, the Force thing, space orcs, self-mutilation and pain-worship...)

Indeed - that always bugs me when someone tries to retcon a total villain into some kind of misunderstood hero...

(And agreed... the Vong were just too much at once... anti-machine, crazy biotech, the Force thing, space orcs, self-mutilation and pain-worship...)

Yeah it's like saying: Eh Stalin was not so bad! He killed all those political enemies, jews, gypsies and german war prisoners for the betterment of Russia!

Oh wait. That's an actual thing.

I will coin a term for "redeeming a villains action. I'll call that Sephiroting now, because of all those FFVII fanfiction out there who do it.

Man it's Moments like these I remember why I am glad that the EU is defunkt . The good stuff will return in refined form, let's just hope the Vong stay in the garbage compactor.

Edited by MOELANDER

14.jpg?w=580&h=580

A picture of a figurine of Darth Vader as a samurai. Relatively irrelevant to the topic at hand.

What? Huh?

This really sparked my interest. Never seen this before so I did some digging and the Stormtrooper and Boba Fett also look awesome :D But then I do have an unnerving facination for Japanese stuff!

14.jpg?w=580&h=580

A picture of a figurine of Darth Vader as a samurai. Relatively irrelevant to the topic at hand.

What? Huh?

I have been unable to like this enough!!!!!!!

Wasn't even done with the thread, but I had to do something about this!

EDIT: To add more exclamation points!!!!!!

Edited by Vestij Jai Galaar

Unfortunately I have 'reached my quota of positive votes for the day' or I would like this.

I believe I spent them all on Blackbird888's picture of samurai Vader.

Uh-oh. Dark elf zombies are invading! And so are the Slivers!