Sign in to follow this  
RusakRakesh

Expanded universe is defunct

Hey guys,

did you know your RPG Adventures are not canon either? So you might as well stop playing.

It's not real!

Everyone go home!

HOW DARE YOU! (you sound like my wife LOL)

Personally, I'd go for anything before end of Ep VI is canon,,, with a few exceptions (SWHS for one) so it still gives A LOT of scope for history and plot ideas.. I can kind if relate to the 'Canon Swipe Haters'it reminds me of the WoTC D&D 4E fiasco.. that's a lot of cash spent and time spent reading gone... but it doesn't mean you can't use them as plot ideas...

I'm curious. A week or so ago there was a threat where a GM was having trouble as his players were all strict canonists. 

So, I have a question: Has anyone found that games with Legends material or strictly without Legends material have a harder or easier time finding and keeping players?  

I'm assuming that most players could go either way but I'm talking about the fringes on either side.

I'm curious. A week or so ago there was a threat where a GM was having trouble as his players were all strict canonists. 

So, I have a question: Has anyone found that games with Legends material or strictly without Legends material have a harder or easier time finding and keeping players?  

I'm assuming that most players could go either way but I'm talking about the fringes on either side.

A serious question on a troll topic???  I shouldn't bite, but...

I'm very lucky to have a great group that buys in to my particular brand of lunacy. And the only reason we played this game was to rewrite everything from scratch.

But we had lots of chats at meet-ups and by email, discussing the changes we would make to the game and everyone contributed. In fact, I'd intended to kill off the movie heroes, until the players sold me on the fact that they would make great mentors for the PCs. We made lots and lots of changes, big and small, and everyone felt like they were a part of the design process. So everyone was on board and psyched for it. 

While most people probably don't change things as drastically as we did, I think the core of it remains the same - whatever game you intend to play, talk to the players and get them on board.  If you're going to make drastic changes, discuss it.  And conversely, if you're sticking rigidly to canon, then make sure they're okay with that too, as players generally expect to be the heroes of the story.

Any story can work providing everyone is invested in it and in agreement.

That's the same for any game.  I've played in Forgotten Realms campaigns that were reset to Year Zero, with the GM declaring Time of Troubles and all subsequent Wrestlemania events null & void and would never happen. 

Edited by Maelora

Why the need for a dedicated thread? Are we now actively seeking confrontation?

There's no need for debate or arguments.

Would you rather I derail specific threads? :P

There is, or there isn't like you can see because some think its trolling, others voice general opinion... you open a thread and you write what you think, there are no rules except "don't be a ****", and that's also a highly controversial and subjective subject.

In my eyes, comments beginning with "I don't get why we are talking about this as EU is now defunct, but..." or any other form of manipulative slur about whats right or wrong, which in essence we all do so its funny and sad at the same time :P

Edited by RusakRakesh

Also I apologies that this thread is not the usual noob question, or askng for stats/deck-plan/something else answered by looking up News on the site, or using the search option... really sorry I am talking with people on a forum :P

I'm also often taken aback by the intensity of focus on canon / legends / not-canon / whatever when it comes to an RPG setting that spans most of an entire galaxy.

There's always room for most of what GMs would want to do, without contradicting what's been shown "on screen". There's always room for the PCs to be "the heroes" without ever encountering ANYONE or ANYWHERE from the movies and shows.

Also I apologies that this thread is not the usual noob question, or askng for stats/deck-plan/something else answered by looking up News on the site, or using the search option... really sorry I am talking with people on a forum :P

A forum is dedicated to discussions and debates, that much is true, but I hardly think that a confrontational one liner is better than the "usual noob question", as you say. If you weren't trying to sound elitist and antagonistic, then I apologize for misjudging your post (it is hard to evaluate the tone on the internet, after all), but you didn't exactly phrase it in a way that encourages a healthy discussion.  

While FFG has shown that they have no problem borrowing concepts and ideas from the EU, such as races, equipment, ships and more, they have focused their game on the OT. The only thing I think canon will affect is whether we will see any books focused on concepts like The Old Republic or the Legacy era. Now that those concepts have been decanonized I don't think Disney/Lucas would greenlight any books focused in those areas. Canon obviously can't affect individual games unless you let it.

I can see the intention of the opening post. Dunno why everyone SEEMS to be bit hostile at him. I on other hand agree with his sentiment.

My best friend GM's our games and he is going to use Expanded Universe... or "legends" as it's called now. Because that thing while it has a lot of silly things, also has a lot of content and riches to be used in PRG. :)

Edited by SuperArppis

I agree with the OP, people tend to wave the argument "But the EU doesn't count anymore" around as if it means something. Well truth be told, your stories and ideas don't count or influence my games, doesn't mean that those ideas and stories don't count.

On another forum I posted for help on a Yuuzhan Vong campaign and got nothing but "Oh you shouldn't do that" "EU is no longer canon" and all this, no help at all with adventure ideas, stats or anything, just arguments about how I and my players were 'wrong' for wanting something different.

Defunct is a funny sounding word.

defunct

deeeeefuuuuuuuuunct

deeee...

funct.

When I write stuff like "Old EU", "Legends" or similar, I do that primarily to give readers who are not as well versed in the defunct *mad giggling* expanded universe a primer to decide if they want to incorporate that. I know players and GMs who disregard all canon, even the movies, I know players and GMs who are very dogmatic towards the new canon, and I know (and count myself to) the players and GMs who use it as a guideline, but not strictly word for word.

So yeah It never bothers me, when writers on this board declare the canon status of a certain subject. The thing I propose to change is to use the "official" monikers given: Canon, for everything declared so by the Keeper of the Holocron Leland Chee, and Legends for everything before. That makes it easier to identify.

Edited by MOELANDER

Honestly, as long as you're having fun you can just make up whatever you want, including completely new stuff.

We did it all the time back in the day when we barely understood what a tabletop RPG even was and all we had to go on was an old Fallout RPG character sheet.

And we played Star Wars adventures anyway, just making **** up as we went along, because it was fun. :)

I vividly remember crying tears of laughter in our campaign, were the main source of nutrition were shapeless, veiny, flesh colored snack bars, and Mon Calamari soft drinks that were secretly made of fish spunk, loved and critically acclaimed in the entire galaxy.

I know, 13 year old roleplayers have a VERY mature humour.

On another forum I posted for help on a Yuuzhan Vong campaign and got nothing but "Oh you shouldn't do that" "EU is no longer canon" and all this, no help at all with adventure ideas, stats or anything, just arguments about how I and my players were 'wrong' for wanting something different.

I'm not surprised. I wouldn't have helped you either directly. What I would have done is linked you to a path of inquiry that can properly address what you want: Warhammer 40k and Tyranids. The Vong are almost a 1:1 'nid rip-off and the Warhammer fanbase has developed considerable material for it and actually LIKES the 'nids/Vong/Bugs/whatever. In contrast, expecting a Star Wars forum to be helpful about one of the reasons people are glad the old EU is gone is a bit too optimistic for the internet, I'm afraid. Literally, go look for Tyranids, translate it back to Star Wars and you'll have more material than you'll even want.

Edited by DeathByGrotz

Maybe people havent noticed but Disney is mining the Eu for stuff. Inquisitorious are Eu and we're pulled into canon. As we're gozanti cruisers etc. They basically said we are not going to be tied down to all of it. We are going to pick and choose what we want. Now if we could lose super weapon of the week...

Edited by Daeglan

Honestly, as long as you're having fun you can just make up whatever you want, including completely new stuff.

We did it all the time back in the day when we barely understood what a tabletop RPG even was and all we had to go on was an old Fallout RPG character sheet.

And we played Star Wars adventures anyway, just making **** up as we went along, because it was fun. :)

I vividly remember crying tears of laughter in our campaign, were the main source of nutrition were shapeless, veiny, flesh colored snack bars, and Mon Calamari soft drinks that were secretly made of fish spunk, loved and critically acclaimed in the entire galaxy.

I know, 13 year old roleplayers have a VERY mature humour.

I guess it tells something about my maturity, in our current RPG session, my character had to live on planet where he had to process water trough these herd animals and then drink their piss. Otherwise the water would have been too toxic (he was stranded there). But when they peed it, it became really close to the real proper water. :D

Edited by SuperArppis

A forum is dedicated to discussions and debates, that much is true, but I hardly think that a confrontational one liner is better than the "usual noob question", as you say. If you weren't trying to sound elitist and antagonistic, then I apologize for misjudging your post (it is hard to evaluate the tone on the internet, after all), but you didn't exactly phrase it in a way that encourages a healthy discussion.

Nit picking at two words out of 3 posts is not cool too. I don't diss "noob questions", thats not cool, but you have to admit how bad it looks that people ask questions that can be answered by reading sticky thread, search forum or read the book and/or FAQ... However, no biggy for posting questions (pepole looking to talk is ok, and instead of taking action, is basic human nature nowdays), was just an example for the usual post. Edited by RusakRakesh

I'm not surprised. I wouldn't have helped you either directly. What I would have done is linked you to a path of inquiry that can properly address what you want: Warhammer 40k and Tyranids. The Vong are almost a 1:1 'nid rip-off and the Warhammer fanbase has developed considerable material for it and actually LIKES the 'nids/Vong/Bugs/whatever. In contrast, expecting a Star Wars forum to be helpful about one of the reasons people are glad the old EU is gone is a bit too optimistic for the internet, I'm afraid. Literally, go look for Tyranids, translate it back to Star Wars and you'll have more material than you'll even want.

and this demonstrates why I don't bother asking the questions I want to ask, because people aren't helpful. I know nothing about Warhammer, absolutely NOTHING. How is linking me to something I know nothing about going to help me? I know a lot about the Vong, its simply working them into coherent adventures and statting them out that I wanted to discuss and bounce ideas off to work something out for my campaign, but apparently...being sent to look at something I know nothing about would help.

Except for one Infinities game I played in once, everything up to the start of the campaign is, usually, canonically correct.  Then, from the first session onward, all bets are off - anything can change what's supposed to happen.

Edited by Lord Dynel

and this demonstrates why I don't bother asking the questions I want to ask, because people aren't helpful. I know nothing about Warhammer, absolutely NOTHING. How is linking me to something I know nothing about going to help me? I know a lot about the Vong, its simply working them into coherent adventures and statting them out that I wanted to discuss and bounce ideas off to work something out for my campaign, but apparently...being sent to look at something I know nothing about would help.

You don't need to know diddly squat about Warhammer to ask Warhammer GMs how they do adventures with Vong Tyranids. Directing you someplace where you'll get decent answers is the very definition of "helping". I garuantee you there are more Warhamster GMs out there who've done adventures with literally the Vong in anything but name Tyranids than there are Star Wars GMs who've done the same, because your average SW fan loathes the very idea of the Vong.

Edited by DeathByGrotz