Sign in to follow this  
RusakRakesh

Expanded universe is defunct

Well, if it means something to some roleplayers, then it means something to them, and their game ... if it doesn't mean anything to you doesn't change the fact that it means something to them ... and the other way around of course.

Since we're roleplayers we'll never agree on a baseline "canon" or share premisses or perspective on the universe with each other or other fans, as we are, as you point out, roleplayers.

I, like many people, have a strong connection to the EU. I read almost every single novel post RotJ,including ALL the vong war. It's difficult to let a "history" you have know for the last 30 years go.  The galaxy is a large place, plenty of room for every story.

Edited by Jedifish

I, like many people, have a strong connection to the EU. I read almost every single novel post RotJ,including ALL the vong war. It's difficult to let a "history" you have know for the last 30 years go.  The galaxy is a large place, plenty of room for every story.

As far as I'm concerned a good story is a good story.

I'm digging the new canon books and comics too though.

You know, I've done the same, read nearly all the books, yet I have no problem at all with the new fiction. My enjoyment from reading those books is not diminished by the new books. I think the biggest disservice is not giving the new fiction a chance, as many fans of the legends material are doing. Unlearn what you have learned..

Why the need for a dedicated thread? Are we now actively seeking confrontation? I don't think these forums need more of that as it is. I'm a big fan of the new canon, but I don't actually feel like the EU is worthless as Legends now. The name changed, but the stories are still there, and we can all take inspiration from those (the same way the authors of the new canon are doing). There's no need for debate or arguments.

Absolutely! The only canon that exists is The Ewok movies, the Holiday Special and the 107 issues of the original Marvel Comics run. You stupid people with your stupid, stupid minds should be not stupid enough to realize this!

What!? And you're not including the Yuuzhan Vong? Heresy!

Persononlly, the only thing Canon in my games is the movies and Skippy!

I enjoyed the EU/Legends material just as much as anyone else.  I also like the new material as well.  Really, I just enjoy good stories.

Now I do get annoyed with Disney's penchant to retcon material for no reason.  I usually just hand-wave these as Disney's people not paying a lot of attention to continuity.

Did I miss something? The EU => Legends move announcement was ages ago.... so, why is this thread popping up now? Was there something new which got said?

OP was either tired of seeing "but the EU is defunct" comments over and over again in every thread... or decided to go fishing by dragging his hooks behind the boat...

Did I miss something? The EU => Legends move announcement was ages ago.... so, why is this thread popping up now? Was there something new which got said?

OP was either tired of seeing "but the EU is defunct" comments over and over again in every thread... or decided to go fishing by dragging his hooks behind the boat...

And it looks like he done caught himself a whole line o' suckers!  Myself included.

Edited by The Grand Falloon