Sign in to follow this  
Tyberius_Deangelo

How does this game compare/contrast with Saga Edition?

It has more simplified rules without losing the depth. I like that, as all playing with the numbers kinda was lame in the Saga Edition... well  they got into the way of things after awhile. Saga Edition isn't bad, it's pretty good imo. I just like this over the Saga for that simple reason. :)

I really like this system, I'm glad Fantasy Flight games got the license!

I will say one thing about Saga I found frustrating:  every book introduced new techniques or feats or whatever that might have been interesting to try out, but because of the way the whole game was constructed, you would essentially have to have a new campaign and your character development heavily pre-planned.  It felt like your combat and survivability far outstripped your ability to actually be competent at skills or techniques.

The power curve in this game is far flatter and (IMHO) far easier to retrofit if you want to revise your character to use something new that just came out.

I will say one thing about Saga I found frustrating:  every book introduced new techniques or feats or whatever that might have been interesting to try out, but because of the way the whole game was constructed, you would essentially have to have a new campaign and your character development heavily pre-planned.  It felt like your combat and survivability far outstripped your ability to actually be competent at skills or techniques.

The power curve in this game is far flatter and (IMHO) far easier to retrofit if you want to revise your character to use something new that just came out.

Agreed.

I was in a Dawn of Defiance campaign that kicked off about the time that Threats of the Galaxy came out.  The GM was nice enough to allow us players to do limited re-spec'ing as new material came out, especially Scum & Villainy and tFUCG, but I've heard enough stories of GMs that didn't allow a re-spec.

Amusingly enough, even when all the books were out, I was able to play a Jedi in the NJO era using just material from Saga Edition's core book while the other PCs each took elements from various splatbooks (including a Selkath Force Adept, so I wasn't the only Force user in the party) and was able to very much stay competitive throughout the entire campaign, and he was able to stay competitive when he got moved into a Legacy Era campaign, even going so far as to being the one to take down the BBEG of that campaign.

Man, this board really needs individual avatars. For a second, I thought WhatFrog just got suckered by Mouthy when he very well shoulda known better.

Who is "WhatFrog"?   :)

To be fair, that typo was a result of being reefed out of my goddamned mind at the time. . . .

In my opinion,i feel FFG star wars games capture the true feel to the setting/universe.

Mainly in part to the unique dice mechanics that offer that feel.I have GM'd the star wars rpg from west end games,wotc and so on.

In the end,i find FFG to be the more immersive of all iterations.Don't get me wrong,the others offered just as much for their time,and so i'm

not saying anything bad towards those games.I just feel that FFG is best on many accounts.It really is star wars.