Sign in to follow this  
Hawktel

Very Minor Rogue One Spoiler for X Wing

TIE Scout incomming

Is it in a comic? Did I miss it already?

Will FFG give it two system upgrade slots and the double system upgrade to go with it? Will it be a 20 dollar small base or an overpriced 30 buck large ship like the IG2000? Will it be totally redundant thanks to the TIE Shuttle? Is it going to be the TIE Punisher equivalent to the TIE shuttle?

And when will we get the /gt Title for the Fighter so I can have a cheap mini bomber! (Adds one each missile, torp and bomb slot, adds TL, decreases att to one)

But I digress.

To me, the Empire was always characterized by it's sluggishness and how unwilling it was to adapt, very reminiscent of WWI generals. The TIE Fighter was always sort of a symbol of that. The Rebel Alliance's early victories were down to how unprepared the Empire was to fight an organized military with technologically advanced craft flying Z-95s etc.

The X-Wing caught them flat footed, as they hadn't needed TIE Fighters to do anything more than suppress small cells of angry dissidents.

To have them plowing loads of money into aerospace engineering to fight an enemy they don't even know about yet is just a bit odd.

I'm not sure why you have this perspective. 

The Empire is arrogant (The Battle of Yavin and the Battle of Endor) and uncreative (The second Death Star), but they are also obsessed with military might and technology. It makes perfect sense for them to spend money building bigger and better killing machines even with no obvious opposition. 

More then that they're a military bureaucracy  and if you want an idea of what that can do check out the movie The Pentagon Wars. which was about how the Bradley IFV was turned from a perfectly solid design into a death trap because of bureaucratic meddling.  I have no doubt that the initial Deathstar plan was solid and the exhaust flaw exists solely because some Admiral said  "Why can't it have more landing bays? it needs more landing bays. put more landing bays" and another said "well if he gets more landing bays then I need more troop barracks." etc etc 

But pre hope there were only tie fighters they made the others in response to seeing the x-wing, really hate how Disney disrespecte 30 years of established lore.

Then YOU should have ponied up the cash to buy Lucasfilm instead of Disney.

Apparently they don't consider souls a viable currency, which being Disney I found quite shocking.

If you ask me, Disney is nothing but a piss ant company who has money and nothing else going for them. They are becoming EA, hell, they are even WORKING with EA. They threw away 30 years of blood sweat and tears of hundreds of people who were 10000000000000000000000000000000000000 times more talented then they ever could be, just to clone the movie "A new Hope" be super generic and add yet ONE MORE DEATH STAR! cause it so worked the first two times. 3rd times a charm says the empire!

And then kill off one of the main characters, who prob was killed off ONLY Because the actor who was him is getting old and just wants to retire and live his own life instead of some fake movie character (thats not to say i didnt like Han)

But ****, Stackpole alone expanded the universe in a better direction then Disney ever could. The Kryptos Virus, the Bacta War, AND THEY DIDNT EVEN NEW NEW FIGHTERS! T-65 x-wings were FINE! TIE INTERCEPTERS, FIGHTERS, and BOMBERS, were FINE! IT WAS ENJOYABLE! IT WAS READING AND ENJOYABLE! GASPS.

Disney comes alone, makes crappy wing modifications, adds some stupid "rings" to the tie fighters support pylons, and hopes a new generation starts fapping there money all over Disney undeserving faces. It makes me sick honestly,

Screw your disney loving ass. They didnt work for what they got, they didnt earn the fame that more talented men and women put into the universe. They just had money. And that is ****** up how this world is that if you have money, you can **** on others like that.

Im sure if some company came in and took apart what you spent years working on and threw it in the trash you wouldn't be very happy either.

But pre hope there were only tie fighters they made the others in response to seeing the x-wing, really hate how Disney disrespecte 30 years of established lore.

Apparently they don't consider souls a viable currency, which being Disney I found quite shocking.

If you ask me, Disney is nothing but a piss ant company who has money and nothing else going for them. They are becoming EA, hell, they are even WORKING with EA. They threw away 30 years of blood sweat and tears of hundreds of people who were 10000000000000000000000000000000000000 times more talented then they ever could be, just to clone the movie "A new Hope" be super generic and add yet ONE MORE DEATH STAR! cause it so worked the first two times. 3rd times a charm says the empire!

And then kill off one of the main characters, who prob was killed off ONLY Because the actor who was him is getting old and just wants to retire and live his own life instead of some fake movie character (thats not to say i didnt like Han)

But ****, Stackpole alone expanded the universe in a better direction then Disney ever could. The Kryptos Virus, the Bacta War, AND THEY DIDNT EVEN NEW NEW FIGHTERS! T-65 x-wings were FINE! TIE INTERCEPTERS, FIGHTERS, and BOMBERS, were FINE! IT WAS ENJOYABLE! IT WAS READING AND ENJOYABLE! GASPS.

Disney comes alone, makes crappy wing modifications, adds some stupid "rings" to the tie fighters support pylons, and hopes a new generation starts fapping there money all over Disney undeserving faces. It makes me sick honestly,

Screw your disney loving ass. They didnt work for what they got, they didnt earn the fame that more talented men and women put into the universe. They just had money. And that is ****** up how this world is that if you have money, you can **** on others like that.

Im sure if some company came in and took apart what you spent years working on and threw it in the trash you wouldn't be very happy either.

what did you spend years working on for star wars. are you george lucas' account. does george lucas play x wing? 

Some might say you have a chip on your shoulder there Zeoinx. I would say you might need a new shoulder entirely.

Also, I really support the Disney direction. EU is still there and it still has stuff I loved as a kid. I think it hit a dead end. The EU books got so convoluted, Luke was still the biggest beef in the galaxy and saving it's butt for over 40 years,  outer galaxy kinksters invaded everything and then they went to go find the Star Wars parallel of "god". As for other media? The Comics were bad, The movies we all forget like Ewoks and then the Droids cartoons were just terrible. No, I'm sorry, I'm happy it's at a restart. 

Edited by CheapCreep

Must really suck to be you right now.

Anyhooo.....I can say with certainty that this is a new, never before seen Tie design. Its not anything we've seen before either from canon or Legends. That's as much I can say for now but I think you guys might like it:)

With regards to those complaining about them messing with established lore.....what lore? The EU? This is the new canon and as far as it is concerned this is unexplored territory. Also this is no different from when they added Tie Defenders, Avengers and Gunboats through the pc games back in the 90s. They weren't in the original movies at all but we were ok with it and embraced them as SW fans, which eventually became canon so why isn't it ok now? We should be excited that they are creating new designs especially since the ship designs in TFA were mostly homages to the original. Also this means we'd get more cool new ships for XWMG:)

Edited by Wraithdt

TIE Bomber: Schematics in rebels, ship in Commander!

The Tie Bomber is seen flying in squadrons in the new 2nd season, 2nd half trailer for Rebels.

Disney has cut off the continuity snarl the Legends EU was for good, to give everybody a fresh start with the 'verse. It is still out there to serve as a concept pool to take ideas from for their new established timeline.

Edited by John Tenzer

I guess it will be another new Disney Tie.

Because Disney takes a **** on what we think is canon and what not.

They design new ships because they can.

99,999% of their target customers wouldn't recognize a proper TIE Defender anyways. So lets just give them new fancy spacecraft.

What you think was canon never was. There never was a single canon, there were multiple levels of canonicity which should tell you what an utter pile of crap the quality control was. How much had to be retrofitted, changed, been deemed a misreported story, "from a certain point of view"?

But of course, let's just dump on Disney because they see that keeping that stinking heap intact for the pleasure of minutia-obsessed basement dwellers is both bad for business and for the franchise.

If disney prevents an opening crawl that mentions trade route taxation, I would sacrifice to them the old legends material several times over.

Really, if you want to fight against Disney and it's ruining of "the old never really canon, now called legends fiction", don't PURCHASE or Support in any way anything that is Star Wars. Speak with your wallet, rather than a message board forum.

Me, I have no problems with how Disney treats its properties. The new Muppet Show is awesome. I'm loving the Marvel Movies, as well as the Latest Star Wars movie and new fiction. Phineas and Ferb was an awesome show. Rebels is fun for my son and I to watch together. Barring the craptacular Cars series, Pixar movies are fantastic.

Does Disney produce some insipid programming? Yes, yes they do. Do they market that at the same audience as marvel and star wars? Not really.

Truth is, the only issue I have with Disney is how it treats its employees, specifically the actors that play characters at parks and work in the shops. Disney forces certain standards on them that are brutal. Height, hair, weight restrictions. Off duty on a cruise ship? Stay below deck. I find it ironic since much of the new stuff Disney puts put has a message of equality. Heck, The Force Awakens proves that you can have a non-white, non-male lead characters and still make money.

I've worked on a few "Disney Channel" movies and they don't like seeing Handicapped signs on bathrooms or parking stalls. While "Disney Film" division is fine by it. It's a huge corporation with different heads on different stations and one lose overarching leader. (It's like the empire!)

I like the new Disney direction.

I enjoyed FA, and my children and I are enjoying the Rebels Series - and I do not subscribe to the view that Disney don't care about the integrity of the Star Wars Universe; I cannot think of many mega-corporations that would treat a core asset like that (and yes that's about money and not design).

What they did have was a big mess on their hands when they acquired Star Wars and all that goes with it in terms of what is/is not canon and should/should not be dumped. You can blame Lucasfilm for that!

I am really excited that Disney has taken on the Series, invested heavily in it, and that we can all look forward to another 5-8 years of new stuff to enjoy.

Do we honestly resent that they have the money to support that program?

(Still don't want yet another Tie Fighter though...)

Anyhooo.....I can say with certainty that this is a new, never before seen Tie design. Its not anything we've seen before either from canon or Legends. That's as much I can say for now but I think you guys might like it:)

I dare you to say that in the Gunboat thread. :P

Personal I while I loved the old EU (X-wing series all the way), I much prefer the way Disney has handle the series better the Lucas did. George is well know for his micro managing, he approved most of the books that ended up messing up the Cannon of Star Wars. Disney a least told us up front that they would be changing accepted cannon, Lucas just butchered it with his prequels.

I was not impressed with the New Hope Remix A.K.A The Force Awakens, but I can a least give them two Movie before I pass judgment on wither or not I think they are doing a good job. Part of me is holding out hope that Disney decides to do the X-wing Series as movies at some point for the fact most of them still fit in with The new Cannon. Lets wait and see before We all decide to Lynch The Mouse.

What universe are you living in? Disney saved Star Wars from the corrupted mind of George Lucas. We will of course be forever in debt to Mr. Lucas for creating Star Wars but he had been singlehandedly damaging much of its greatness since the ridiculous scene where blind Han Solo accidentally knocks the greatest bounty hunter of all time into the sarlacc. From that point on in RotJ, including all of his editing "fixes" and the entire prequel trilogy that was plagued by horrible writing and some horrific casting decisions Lucas was the franchises own worst enemy. Yes we got some great characters and sequences from his last four films (6,1,2,3) but they were all intermixed with equal or more parts of disappointment.

The books are a completely separate topic. By their nature, well written books will generally be better than their film counterparts. However Star Wars started off as a film and has always been highly visual. In this case the books succeed on the level they do based upon the visual origins of the Star Wars universe. From that point you have both well written and poorly written books that helped to create the expanded universe. I have read quite a few of the books from various story arcs and mostly enjoyed them. The great thing about those stories is that they will always exist and you can continue to go back and enjoy them whenever you wish. The anger from segments of Star Wars fans towards Disney for moving their favorite stories from canon to Legends is absurd. So what if this isn't how the Star Wars expanded universe canon is now. Thrawn is still a great character. You still have Jaina and Jacen, Mara Jade, Darth Krayyt and the red tattooed Twilek (completely drawing a blank on her name, lol). And the Vong whether you like them or hate them. So what if Revan is on some sort of shaky ground with regards to his Legends/canon status.

I'm not going to try and change people's minds if they hate Disney (although as time goes on and the body of work they produce expands that position gets sillier and sillier). The one thing about Disney owning Star Wars is that you are now getting more books and movies than you otherwise would have. If people want to carry this hatred of Disney and refuse to acknowledge all of the good this brings then they are the ones that lose as they miss out on all of the positives they otherwise wouldn't have.

I dare you to say that in the Gunboat thread. :P

To be honest I haven't been following the Gunboat thread. :P

It'd be nice if fans of the old Legends EU realized that their favorite books now not being canon doesn't mean they stop existing and being great stories to read. 

You do realize the majority of that was Lucasfilm, right?

A lot of people on this board don't seem to realize this, but Disney hasn't actually been making the creative decisions for Star Wars after they bought Lucasfilm. They just foot the bill. 

Edited by WingedSpider

What universe are you living in? Disney saved Star Wars from the corrupted mind of George Lucas. We will of course be forever in debt to Mr. Lucas for creating Star Wars but he had been singlehandedly damaging much of its greatness since the ridiculous scene where blind Han Solo accidentally knocks the greatest bounty hunter of all time into the sarlacc. From that point on in RotJ, including all of his editing "fixes" and the entire prequel trilogy that was plagued by horrible writing and some horrific casting decisions Lucas was the franchises own worst enemy. Yes we got some great characters and sequences from his last four films (6,1,2,3) but they were all intermixed with equal or more parts of disappointment.

The books are a completely separate topic. By their nature, well written books will generally be better than their film counterparts. However Star Wars started off as a film and has always been highly visual. In this case the books succeed on the level they do based upon the visual origins of the Star Wars universe. From that point you have both well written and poorly written books that helped to create the expanded universe. I have read quite a few of the books from various story arcs and mostly enjoyed them. The great thing about those stories is that they will always exist and you can continue to go back and enjoy them whenever you wish. The anger from segments of Star Wars fans towards Disney for moving their favorite stories from canon to Legends is absurd. So what if this isn't how the Star Wars expanded universe canon is now. Thrawn is still a great character. You still have Jaina and Jacen, Mara Jade, Darth Krayyt and the red tattooed Twilek (completely drawing a blank on her name, lol). And the Vong whether you like them or hate them. So what if Revan is on some sort of shaky ground with regards to his Legends/canon status.

I'm not going to try and change people's minds if they hate Disney (although as time goes on and the body of work they produce expands that position gets sillier and sillier). The one thing about Disney owning Star Wars is that you are now getting more books and movies than you otherwise would have. If people want to carry this hatred of Disney and refuse to acknowledge all of the good this brings then they are the ones that lose as they miss out on all of the positives they otherwise wouldn't have.

i think the problem was george needed people to tell him "no, dont do that"

and when star wars was huge, and everyone he was gonna work with is a big fan, no one is going to say "no george, please dont make jar jar binks the secret sith lord"