Sign in to follow this  
Klark

How the imperial class card "Executioner" works?

It reads:

[1xThreat]: Exhaust this card when an Imperial figure declares an attack targeting a hero. Apply +1 damage for each strain the hero has suffered, to a maximum of +3 damage.

Does the hero suffer this damage before any dice are rolled? Or do i have to hit before applying the plus damage (i.e. i need range/accuracy)? Could it be dodged? What about if i "lose" the target (i.e. melee attacks vs. Jyn Odan that interrupt /w a Quick Draw + Opportunist combo)?

You need to still hit with the attack in order for the bonus damage to apply, sucks super hard if they roll the Dodge on the white die.  

You shouldn't be able to lose a target when using the card, I know of no effects other than the Quickdraw Holster that happen after being targeted but before the die roll.

The order of operations for the card happen before you roll the dice for the attack, so if Jyn is able to get out of line of sight with her shenanigans, you don't exhaust the card or expend the threat because you were never able to make the attack. Then again the Quickdraw Holster might be the exception to the rule.

In your example that you have with Jyn is her ability at the start of the model's activation, so you never declared an attack.

Executioner just adds how ever many symbols to the effective dice result. So if you targets a hero who had suffered 3 strain and rolled say 2 damage while they rolled 3 blocks it would be as if you rolled 5 damage (so they'd suffer 2).

Got a response back from Paul on this subject with Executioner.

Question:

Hello, this is a one in a million chance of happening in the game, due to being lucky with reward cards and the classes and heroes being used, but came across an interesting aspect between Jyn with the Quickdraw Holster and the Imperial class card Executioner. Executioner states that when declaring an attack you exhaust the card and spend the threat; Quickdraw Holster says when targeted by an attack you can spend a strain and deplete the card to make an attack. Jyn fires first and is able to Opportunist to get out of line of sight of the attack. Does the Imperial player still have to spend the threat and exhaust the card cause his attack was interrupted, or because the attack was not valid he doesn't have to spend it anymore? Thanks

Response:

Hi Adam,

Yes, since the Imperial Player, as the attacker, would need to select and resolve all abilities he wanted to use in the window of “when an attack is declared” first, and then the defender would resolve his. So, the IP would have spent the threat for Executioner and then Jyn would have the option to use Quickdraw Holster and then Opportunist.

Thanks!

Paul Winchester
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

So you must spend the threat from Executioner before the defender gets to do any shenanigans. With the Quickdraw Holster you could potentially spoil the Imperial players action.