Sign in to follow this  
stmack

2016 Store Championship Results

I didn't know you can't play two of the same command card at the same time until a week or two ago as well, which also means those trooper lists can only reinforce ONCE in a round regardless of having the two cards or recycling with Leia.

Huh. I'm not really sure about that interpretation. The rules specify you cannot play multiple copies of the same command card at the same time, then goes on to give an example of stacking Accuracy. But what about sequentially? Sure, you can't use Explosive Weaponry to go to Blast 2, but Reinforcements played twice, particularly on two different groups, doesn't have the same stacking effect. That should be clarified.

I didn't know you can't play two of the same command card at the same time until a week or two ago as well, which also means those trooper lists can only reinforce ONCE in a round regardless of having the two cards or recycling with Leia.

Huh. I'm not really sure about that interpretation. The rules specify you cannot play multiple copies of the same command card at the same time, then goes on to give an example of stacking Accuracy. But what about sequentially? Sure, you can't use Explosive Weaponry to go to Blast 2, but Reinforcements played twice, particularly on two different groups, doesn't have the same stacking effect. That should be clarified.

My interpretation is that you definitely cannot play two reinforcements in the same round. The timing of the card is "at the start of the round". It doesn't matter if you are targeting different groups, you would still be playing them at the same time, which would make it illegal.

Edit: DTDanix beat me to it....

Edited by Koa

Here my list from last weekend's store championship at Highlander Games & Comics in Boonton, NJ.  Came in 1st from 8 players, with a hard fought final against a twin bantha list.

Luke Skywalker, Fenn Signis, Gideon Argus, C3-PO, 2 Echo Base Troopers, an Alliance Smuggler and Rebel High Command.

Against All Odds, Burst Fire, Celebration, Deadeye, Element of Surprise, Expose Weakness, Inspiring Speech, 2*Marksman, Reinforcements, Son of Skywalker, Take Initiative, Take it Down, Telekinetic Throw, and Urgency.

Keeping 2 troopers close to Fenn means you can potentially throw 15 dice at a target over two activations – 4 on Fenn’s first shot if he’s focused, 3 on his second shot, 3 on each focused shot from the troopers and another 2 from the second shot Fenn allows one of them. That’s a maximum of 35 damage assuming your targets in range to use the troopers Front Line ability (bye-bye bantha with no defense dice!).

I thought the same thing. It came up in a discussion in the rules forum. Look it up. It got an official response saying the same card can't be played twice beginning/end of round. I got into the discussion wondering about double jundland terror and made the connection after for reinforcements. Check the sticky FAQ here in the rules forum too for the response Fizz got from ffg. Edited by Masterchiefspiff

Paradox CNC in Fargo ND

There were 4 players.

First place was:

Gideon + diplomatic mission

Wookiee warriors

Echo base troopers

Elite echo base troopers

Elite sabs

Elite sabs

Second place:

Me with

Luke

Leia

Diala

Gideon

3PO

R2

Elite sabs

Third place:

Echo base troopers

Echo base troopers

Echo base troopers

Elite sabs + targeting computer

Elite sabs + targeting computer

Gideon

3PO

Fourth place:

Luke

Diala

Gideon

Jyn

Elite alliance smuggler

Elite wookiee warriors

Air Traffic Kites & Games - Maple Grove, MN - 3/19/2016 - 10 (11?) players

1st

• Luke
  • Leia
  • Gideon
  • R2-D2
  • C-3PO
  • eSab x2

2nd

• eBantha
  • rHK
  • eNexu x2
  • Gideon
  • Mak
  • Temp. Alliance
  • Devious Scheme
  • Beast Tamer
  • Punishing Strike
Edited by tropoFarmer

Had our Store Championship at Guardian Games in Portland, OR today. I went 3-0 with this list, although I came in second due to strength of schedule. We had 8 players, and I think it was evenly split between Rebels and Imperials, although there might have been 3 Rebels and 5 Imperials. I'm not sure what the exact squad of the guy who came in first was, but I know it included eStormies and eSnowtroopers.

My squad:

[10] Luke Skywalker
[8] Wookiee Warrior
[7] Elite Rebel Saboteur
[5] MHD-19
[8] Leia Organa
[2] C-3PO

-------------------

[2] Heart of Freedom
[2] Miracle Worker
[3] Son of Skywalker
[2] Wookiee Rage
[2] Wookiee Rage
[1] Pummel
[0] Devotion
[0] Expose Weakness
[0] Take Initiative
[0] Element of Surprise
[0] Fleet Footed
[0] Planning
[1] Single Purpose
[2] Inspiring Speech
[0] Recovery

I tried some variations of this squad leading up to the tournament, but I lost multiple times. I put this one together last night and it performed extremely well. I was worried that not having Gideon might hamper me, but in the end I really don't think it made much difference. Every unit was useful and effective, and I don't think there's anything I would change. My first game was against a Leia/Luke/MHD/Gideon/Sabs/3PO squadron, my second was against an Imperial squad with eStormies, a eE-Web, Kayn Somos, and some officers, and it did very well against that. My third game was against a squad that consisted of RGC, Vader, and three Officers. Vader and the RGC managed to kill both of my Wookiee Warriors on the first round of the game, which definitely made things scary, but I was able to focus fire and take them out. It came down to MHD and my Saboteur chasing down two Imperial Officers. The Officers put up a good fight, but in the end, defeat was inevitable.

Edited by weaponxmerc

Today's Winner at Shuffle and Cut Games in La Habra, CA:

The Princess and the Walking Carpets  |  40 points

Deployment Cards
---------------------------
▪ Leia Organa
▪ C-3PO
Wookiee Warrior
Wookiee Warrior
Wookiee Warrior
▪ Gideon Argus
▪ R2-D2

Command Cards
------------------------
Adrenaline
Hide in Plain Sight
Parting Blow
Parting Blow
Pummel
Pummel
Rally
Recovery
Roar
To the Limit
Urgency
Wookiee Rage
Brace Yourself
Hit and Run
Self-Defense

The list I won with last week at Dice House Games in Fullerton, CA:

Wookiees Ragin'  |  40 points

Deployment Cards
▪ Gaarkhan
▪ R2-D2
▪ C-3PO
Wookiee Warrior
Wookiee Warrior
Wookiee Warrior
▪ Gideon Argus

Command Cards
------------------------
Adrenaline
Close the Gap
Expose Weakness
Pummel
Pummel
Rally
Recovery
Roar
Urgency
Wookiee Rage
Wookiee Rage
Furious Charge
Of No Importance
Wild Fury

Improvised Weapons

Store championship In Austin Texas at Dragon's Lair:

1st Place:

Bantha Rider
Elite HK Assasin Droid
Elite Nexu
HK Assasin Droid
Gideon Argus
C-3PO
Temporary Alliance

I took 4th with: 

▪ Luke Skywalker
▪ C-3PO
▪ Gideon Argus
Wookiee Warrior
Elite Rebel Saboteur
▪ Jyn Odan
Rebel Saboteur

Command Cards
------------------------

Element of Surprise
Fleet Footed
Hide in Plain Sight
Planning
Rally
Take Initiative
Urgency
Son of Skywalker
Take it Down
Maximum Firepower
Jump Jets
Single Purpose
Set a Trap
Against the Odds
Hit and Run

The tourney was the first time I had played in a couple months; I was never able to test my squad and didn't play great, but I still had a good time. The guy who won with the bantha list definitely deserved it, I don't think there was really anyone there that challenged him.

I won today's SC at Redcap's in PA.

2x eStormtrooper

1x eSnontrooper

2x eProbe

1x Officer

Command Cards
------------------------
Grenadier
Reinforcements
Reinforcements
Inspiring Speech
Focus
Negation
Stealth Tactics
Provoke
Strength in Numbers
Rank and File
Element of Surprise
Take Initiative 
Rally
Of No Importance
Planning

Had our Store Championship at Guardian Games in Portland, OR today. I went 3-0 with this list, although I came in second due to strength of schedule. We had 8 players, and I think it was evenly split between Rebels and Imperials, although there might have been 3 Rebels and 5 Imperials. I'm not sure what the exact squad of the guy who came in first was, but I know it included eStormies and eSnowtroopers.

8 people, u go 3-0 and dont win? How was the bracket done (seems poorly unless someone was late to the first game and you got a bye)...

~D

Store champ yesterday at Wizard's Chest in Denver, 8 people, 3 rounds no cut:

Elite Stormtroopers

Elite Snowtroopers

Heavy Stormtroopers

Stormtroopers

Probe Droid

3x Imperial Officer

Element of Surprise

2x Reinforcements

Marksman

Take Initiative

Negation

Squad Storm

Expose Weakness

Urgency

Deadeye

Recovery

Maximum Firepower

Lock On

Focus

Strength in Numbers

I got 2nd with my list:

Bantha Rider

Elite HK Assassin Droid

2x Elite Nexu

Gideon

C3P0

Devious Scheme

Beast Tamer

Temp Alliance

I don't think anyone brought "the twins", most people had Merc lists of various types.  My Nexus' were ripping through stormtroopers all day.  And a Bantha Rider that moves 15 spaces to park in a pack of troopers (and then single purpose stomp them all dead next turn after a negation to take initiative) was a thing of beauty!  Those Elite HK's are absolutely worth the points if you have a focus mechanic of any type.  

Edited by jonnyd

My squad:

[10] Luke Skywalker

[8] Wookiee Warrior

[7] Elite Rebel Saboteur

[5] MHD-19

[8] Leia Organa

[2] C-3PO

How did you use the wookie warriors? I really like them for their durability and had them in my list, but I could never use them effectively due to their slow speed.

I won a 9 person Game Kastle Fremont Store Championship yesterday. I went 4-0 with:

2 x eStormtrooper

1 x rRoyal Gaurd

2 x rImperial Officer

1 x rHK

1 x Rule by Fear

1 x Temporary Alliance

Standard trooper/leader command deck.

I beat 2 Merc Hunter/Brawler lists, 1 Trooper + tank list, and 1 Rebel Focus list without Leia.

My squad:

[10] Luke Skywalker

[8] Wookiee Warrior

[7] Elite Rebel Saboteur

[5] MHD-19

[8] Leia Organa

[2] C-3PO

How did you use the wookie warriors? I really like them for their durability and had them in my list, but I could never use them effectively due to their slow speed.

I used them as first-strike units to soak up some initial damage and inflict whatever they could. I tried to make sure I had both of them focused before they went into combat. I love them for Wookiee Rage, mainly, because it's 1-3 automatic damage that can be combined with their regular attack.

I found that people either tend to focus on killing them (which isn't super easy to do), meaning other characters aren't taking fire, or people underestimate them and go for what they feel are more important targets, allowing the Wookiees to do some good damage.

How did you go 3-0 in a tournament with 8 players and come in second?

How did you go 3-0 in a tournament with 8 players and come in second?

I'm not sure exactly. We were running Swiss, and another guy went 3-0 as well, and I guess something to do with strength of schedule and how well the other players did made it so I came in second.

But it is not possible for two people to go 3-0 in 3 rounds with 8 people.

After round there are 4 people with 1-0, those 4 make 2 pairings which gives you 2 people with 2-0 which have to play against each other. This only gives you one player with 3-0.

But it is not possible for two people to go 3-0 in 3 rounds with 8 people.

After round there are 4 people with 1-0, those 4 make 2 pairings which gives you 2 people with 2-0 which have to play against each other. This only gives you one player with 3-0.

Completely hypothetical scenario on this could come to be:

• Seven players show up on time
  • One player shows up late
  • Late Player is given a bye (win)

At the end of round one we have 5 winners and 3 losers.

For round 2 swiss pairs the winners vs the winners and the losers vs the losers. The pair-down wins their game. At the end of round 2 we have 3 2-0s, 3 1-1s, and 2 0-2s.

Round three pairs as normal and the pair-down wins again. Leaving us with 2 3-0's.   

This hinges on giving the late player a win instead of a loss. 

I actually came in second with 3-0 in a 5-person Winter Kit tournament a few weeks back. I randomly got the first bye, and won my second game. For the third game, after the only player with no wins was given a bye, we discovered that the two players with one win each had already played each other. The TO (the other player with 2 wins) decided that meant he and I would each have to pair against one of them instead. The TO and I each won our third game, giving us both 3-0. But he played all three of his games, so he got the win based on strength of schedule.

No shenanigans involved, all was fair. --It does seem impossible to go 3-0 in an 8-player tournament and come in second, though.

Edited by IndyPendant

I actually came in second with 3-0 in a 5-person Winter Kit tournament a few weeks back. I randomly got the first bye, and won my second game. For the third game, after the only player with no wins was given a bye, we discovered that the two players with one win each had already played each other. The TO (the other player with 2 wins) decided that meant he and I would each have to pair against one of them instead. The TO and I each won our third game, giving us both 3-0. But he played all three of his games, so he got the win based on strength of schedule.

No shenanigans involved, all was fair. --It does seem impossible to go 3-0 in an 8-player tournament and come in second, though.

Hold on, that's where the problem was.  The Bye should always go to someone who has 0 wins (ie, one of the players tied for last place); that's where the problem came.  

It sounds like either the judge or the pairing software made a mistake, because the third round of an 8-person tournament will always have one 2-0 player vs the other 2-0 player.