Sign in to follow this  
stmack

2016 Store Championship Results

Store Championship at Dragon's Lair in San Antonio, TX.

Seven players came in, we had a decent mixture of Imperial and Rebel with at least one Beast focused Merc list, several Rebel Sab lists, and one pure Stormtrooper list.

I took first place with:

Royal Guard Champion
eStormtroopers
rStormtroopers
rStormtroopers
rImperial Officer
rImperial Officer

The combination of RGC's ability to dance around the entire board and clear out weaker activations paired with two Stormtrooper squads ability to hit every objective on the board is powerful. Officers generally served to delay first turn activations and scoot the RGC into place to charge out and brutalize.

Yesterday I attended the Store Championship at Art of War in Hamilton, OH.

We had 18 players, surprising amount of Boba Fett lists with an unsurprising surge in Beast Tamer lists. A few Twins variants and Stormtrooper variants.

I went undefeated in 4 rounds of swiss with my list:

2 x eStormtroopers

2 x eHeavy Stormtroopers

2 x Targeting Computer2

2 x rImperial Officer

Round 1 faced a Boba Fett, Gideon, MHD-19, and 2 x rHK (one with Explosive Weaponry) on Training Grounds (Deception Game). My opponent started with initiative, and at the start of round 2 I had a Stormtrooper hit his 4 HKs with Grenadier for 2 damage each. After that it was just me picking off the HKs when they were in the line of fire and taking pot shots at Boba Fett to keep him under control. Finished the HKs, then MHD, and finally Boba Fett to end the game. I lost one Officer placed in a position to bait Boba Fett.

Round 2 I faced a Beast Tamer list with Boba Fett, eNexu, rNexu, Gideon, Bantha Rider, and rAlliance Smuggler on Kuat Space Station (Incoming Transmission). My opponent had Devious Scheme and chose the deployment with the 3 tiles with the best access to the three objective markers. I started round 1 by contesting both terminals, the nearest objective (not behind the door), and checkerboarding my troopers through the narrow corridors to prevent the Nexus from landing and cleaving anybody. He held them back and charged the Bantha down the red hallway with his final activation and did a bit of damage to the troopers near the terminal. His smuggler opened the door, but no units went to the objective because I was not posturing to contest it (but I held my officers close to spawn to position for a possible turn 3 contest if he left it alone with few figures to control it). Nobody collected objectives turn 1.  He had initiative starting round 2, had his Bantha use Survival Instincts, then killed a single trooper. My first activation had an eHeavy kill his smuggler hiding behind his Nexus using clever targetting and Explosive Weaponry for blast 3, taking out the smuggler before it could activate. The round ended with few casualties on my side, but the regular Nexu went down and the eNexu and Bantha took heavy damage. He collected the objective near his spawn using Gideon, but had not yet moved in to the room to collect the uncontested objective. With initiative, I reinforced an eStormtrooper to fill a squad, and began with that squad taking out the Bantha. His eNexu fell to my next activation, and after that it was posturing to force a retreat with his remaining Boba Fett and Gideon. Unfortunately Boba Fett was one space away from contesting the objective in the room, and I had an officer open the door and an eHeavy hustle over and grab it. I scored the remaining two objectives for 18 points at the conclusion of round 3. With only 1 point remaining and Gideon with 2 health in range to get blasted for the last point, my opponent conceded the game.

Round 3 I faced a teammate running Bantha Rider, rHK (Explosive Armaments), eTusken Raiders, Gideon, C-3P0, eNexu (Last Resort), Beast Tamer, and Devious Scheme on Mos Eisly Cantina (Battlefield Engineering). He chose the deployment zone East of the Cantina (I think not realizing the advantage that a high figure list has contesting all 4 objectives on the other deployment). I placed a token force at the front of the Cantina to meet his Bantha and HKs, while the bulk of my forces moved up the narrow path into the Cantina to scrap with the Tuskens and Nexu he sent into the Cantina. His Nexu got one good attack off after contesting the terminal before getting blasted with my superior numbers. The HKs got picked off at surprisingly high range by the every consistent Stormtroopers and eHeavies with all of their rerolls. The second HK with only 2 health remaining was being bodyblocked by the Bantha, but using the same Blast trick I used in the previous round I was able to take it out. The Bantha and Tusken Raider held objectives and eventually scored, but my troopers in the Cantina were virtually untouched and laid waste to his remaining Tuskens. Took the round by knockout.

Round 4 I faced the only other undefeated player, another teammate running a similar list to my round 3 teammate. His list was 2 eNexus (one with Last Resort), eHKs (Explosive Armaments), eTusken Raiders, Gideon, C-3P0, Beast Tamer, and Devious Scheme on Training Grounds (Reprogrammed). He chose the outdoor spawn, hoping to funnel my troopers into the small room by the terminal to get picked off by HKs and Nexus hopping in and out. I had deployed with the intent of using both officers to boost a single trooper to the middle remote and claim it round 1, forcing him to engage me, but leaving the remote between the middle remote and my spawn unclaimed for one round. However, my opening hand contained Urgency, which gave me the opportunity to bluff a terminal grab into a turn 1 middle remote without taking a turn collecting a 3rd remote. This gave me a huge lead and resulted in a bloodbath. The details are a little hazy since we went through several rounds of back and forth slaughter, but resulted in me getting a fourth remote dropped by a Tusken in round 4 and locking the victory. Definitely the hardest match of the day, and he played it very well.

Top 4 ended up being (in order):

Myself

Round 4 opponent

Another teammate playing a modified Twins list (Luke, Leia, Gideon, C-3P0, eSabs, Diala, Rebel High Command, On a Diplomatic Mission)

Round 1 opponent

I am very satisfied with the performance of my team. The Elite Heavy Stormtroopers with Targeting Computers were clutch, their added tankiness and damage potential over the regulars was definitely worth not being able to reinforce. Elite Stormtroopers are my favorite units in the game with consistent damage, high objective control, point denial, and great command cards. The regular officers are the perfect filler for the final 4 points, giving me better objective control, a cheap unit to bait crucial attacks, and the ability to mitigate the disadvantage of Take Initiative.

Seven players came in, we had a decent mixture of Imperial and Rebel with at least one Beast focused Merc list, several Rebel Sab lists, and one pure Stormtrooper list.

I took first place with:

Royal Guard Champion

eStormtroopers

rStormtroopers

rStormtroopers

rImperial Officer

rImperial Officer

The combination of RGC's ability to dance around the entire board and clear out weaker activations paired with two Stormtrooper squads ability to hit every objective on the board is powerful. Officers generally served to delay first turn activations and scoot the RGC into place to charge out and brutalize.

Looks great and congrats. What does your command deck look like?

FFG store championship on Feb. 22nd was won by a list something like this:

2 Bantha Riders

2 HKs

Gideon

2 points left. Either 3p0 or Beast Tamer and Devious Scheme

Who's brilliant idea was it to have a Store Champs on a Monday?

FFG store championship on Feb. 22nd was won by a list something like this:

2 Bantha Riders

2 HKs

Gideon

2 points left. Either 3p0 or Beast Tamer and Devious Scheme

Who's brilliant idea was it to have a Store Champs on a Monday?

Beast Tamer and Devious Scheme. It was actually on 2/20.

I won the Isle of Gamers Store Championship (7 players) in Santa Clara, CA on 2/20 with the following list:

Royal Guard

Elite Stormtroopers

Snowtroopers

Imperial Officer

Imperial Officer

Temporary Alliance

Elite HK Assassin Droids

Played against two Rebel lists, one Luke and Elite Echos, the other with Luke and Leia, otherwise pretty identical (2x eSabs, Gideon, C-3PO, Mak) and against a Trooper list with Elite E-Web, Royal Guard, 3x Officers, 2x Elite Stormtroopers, (I think - a little fuzzy now).

I won the Isle of Gamers Store Championship (7 players) in Santa Clara, CA on 2/20 with the following list:

Royal Guard

Elite Stormtroopers

Snowtroopers

Imperial Officer

Imperial Officer

Temporary Alliance

Elite HK Assassin Droids

Played against two Rebel lists, one Luke and Elite Echos, the other with Luke and Leia, otherwise pretty identical (2x eSabs, Gideon, C-3PO, Mak) and against a Trooper list with Elite E-Web, Royal Guard, 3x Officers, 2x Elite Stormtroopers, (I think - a little fuzzy now).

what is your command deck like?

Store Championship - Armada Games - Tampa, FL

7 players - 3 Rounds - No cut

Winning Squad - Imperials

Royal Guard Champion

Elite Stormtroopers

Elite Stormtroopers with Vader's Finest

Imperial Officer x2

Rule By Fear

2nd Place - Rebels with Alliance Smugglers

3rd Place - Two Bantha Riders with Tuskens and Wookie Warriors

4th Place - Rebels with Luke and Leia

I took first place with:

Royal Guard Champion

eStormtroopers

rStormtroopers

rStormtroopers

rImperial Officer

rImperial Officer

Yesterday I attended the Store Championship at Art of War in Hamilton, OH.

We had 18 players, surprising amount of Boba Fett lists with an unsurprising surge in Beast Tamer lists. A few Twins variants and Stormtrooper variants.

I went undefeated in 4 rounds of swiss with my list:

2 x eStormtroopers

2 x eHeavy Stormtroopers

2 x Targeting Computer2

2 x rImperial Officer

Please post the command decks you used. Congratulations on the wins!

Please post the command decks you used. Congratulations on the wins!

Let's see...

Cost 3:

- Grenadier

- New Orders

Cost 2: 

- Flurry of Blades

- Reinforcements x2

Cost 1:

- Negation

- Focus

- Provoke

Cost 0:

- Take Initiative

- Urgency

- Celebration

- Planning

- Expose Weakness

- Element of Surprise

- Rally

We had a guy win 2 store champs this weekend with the same list.  I think it was this:

Luke

Leia

Gideon (I think he had on a diplomatic mission)

Elite Rebel Troopers

Fenn

SOOOOO many attacks, it was just crazy.  It seemed like everything proc'd an extra attack.  I was doing something silly and playing bantha riders and HK's (cause screw you, dice).  I managed to deal a fair amount of damage by barreling in some Bantha riders, but those guys drop FAST to focused focus fire.

First store champ was 3 rounds, no cut, 6 players. 

Second one was 3 rounds, no cut, 8 players.  

Our 3rd store champs in the area is coming up in a couple weeks, and that's now the team to beat.  I know a couple other players were running trooper swarms and didn't fare well, lots of "the twins" lists in our area.

Royal Guard

Elite Stormtroopers

Snowtroopers

Imperial Officer

Imperial Officer

Temporary Alliance

Elite HK Assassin Droids

what is your command deck like?

New Orders

Grenadier

Reinforcements x2

Emergency Aid

Inspiring Speech

Single Purpose (for Snowtroopers - considering replacing it with Negation)

Urgency

Celebration

Recovery

Fleet Footed

Element of Surprise

Deadeye

Rally

Take Initiative

Fundemonium just held its Store Championship this Sunday, and had 6 people. I was the TO and deliberately brought a sub-optimal list...

1st: Drew Bishop

Luke

Leia

Gideon

On a Diplomatic Mission

C-3PO

Elite Rebel Saboteurs

Elite Rebel Troopers

2nd: Curtis Plunk

Luke
Gideon
C-3PO
Elite Rebel Saboteurs

Targeting Computer
Elite Rebel Troopers

Elite Echo Base Troopers

3rd: Jason Phillips

Elite Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper

Elite E-Web Engineer

The General's Ranks

Elite Imperial Officer

Imperial Officer

Royal Guard

4th: James McGee

Boba Fett

3x HK Assassin Droids

Temporary Alliance

C-3PO

5th: Brian Webb (new player, I recruited him to play the week before...)

Boba Fett

HK Assassin Droid

Elite Nexu x2

Hired Gun

Beast Tamer

Punishing Strike

6th: Chris Langland

Dengar

Explosive Armaments

HK Assassin Droid

Trandoshan Hunter x2

Hired Gun

Temporary Alliance

Gideon

Alliance Smuggler

Village Geek in McPherson, Kansas had their store championship this past Saturday (2/27/16)

There were 9 people

I took first with my Bantha List

Bantha Rider

Elite Nexu (Fire)

Elite Nexu (Ice)

Beast Tamer

Elite Tuskens

Temporary Alliance

Gideon Argus

Elite Sabs

Second Place was:

RGC

2 Elite Stormtroopers

Elite Officer

Reg Officer

Third Place I believe was a Kayn with trooper/heavies spam

Kayn Somos

2 Elite Stormtroopers

Reg Stormtroopers

Reg Heavy Stormtroopers

And Fourth Place was another RGC list I believe it was:

RGC

Reg Royal Guards

2 Reg Stormtroopers

2 Reg Officers

Rule By Fear

I played the fourth place finisher first round on Training Ground - Deception Game - 40-7

Played third place second round on Kuat Space Station - Data Heist - he conceded - I think it ended up 40-0 because I got my Tusken out with a little life left.

Third round was the final on Mos Eisley Cantina - Drinks and Deals - 40 to 21 I believe. I think I bought 10-12 points of drinks with Tuskens and Sabs, killed the RGC fast, some troopers, then the elite officer, and finally got the last trooper on a deployment to get the 9 to go over the top. He was within 5 points most of the game until that trooper card and a couple drinks tipped me to 40. I ended up losing the Bantha and both Nexu eventually. Finished it off with the sabs. 

Some final thoughts:

I really enjoyed the Bantha - got a lot of good command card draws and was able to move it in at the end of rounds and play pretty safe with it until it was time to just go all out and take everything down with it. Bantha only died in the last game against someone who I'd played a couple practice games with before, so he had experience against it. I do think it will be a different scene next round of tourney's when people have more knowledge about it and come with their ways to counter it.

I really liked the Elite Nexu's - they hit like trucks, they run around the board and pounce, beast tamer is still immensely valuable if your bantha is dead or you don't want to run it in quite yet, the bantha can push them by stopping on top of them, if you use survival instincts on one it blocks so much (avg 3 block because of cunning and 2 surge block or a complete evade)

I didn't like the Tusken's as much - only got a few attacks in with them and mostly used them to secure objectives or put some pressure. They did take some damage pretty well and then run the other away.

Sabs were great of course. And Gideon moving the Bantha from almost anywhere on the map because no one blocks line of sight to a bantha was great!

And last but not least here's a couple pics for fun :)

http://imgur.com/a/lAiSP

Edited by Masterchiefspiff

ProGamers, Melbourne, Australia

There were 6 players in total. We decided to run a 3 round Swiss (as per rules) and then cut to the top 2. Everyone’s still learning and appreciated the extra opportunities.

I ran the following list:
Royal Guard Champion, Stormtroopers, Heavy Stormtroopers, Hired Guns, Hired Guns, Imperial Officer, Imperial Officer, Temporary Alliance.

First Game was Reprogrammed on Training Grounds.
My opponent ran:
Elite HK droids, General Sorin, Royal Guard, Snowtroopers, Elite Probe Droid, Temp Alliance.

Was a nice close game ultimately going my way after the Hired Guns were able to snag 2-3 objectives and the Royal Guard Champion made a solid Urgency powered move to charge in and kill General Sorin and the last of the Royal Guard. This put me 16 pts ahead pretty early, and meant I maintained the lead all game. The Champion eventually went down to the HKs but it was too late. The game went to time but I was sitting on 39 pts at the end.

Second game was Battlefield Engineering on Mos Eisley Cantina.
Opponent had:
Fenn, Leia, C3PO, Elite Rebel Troopers, Elite Rebel Troopers and Gideon.
Fenn and Leia can out hard along the outside path. I baited them out with some tasty Heavy Troopers. My hired guns made a full dash for objectives and controlled two at the end of the round. My opponent was more cautious with his objective grab. Fenn and Leia did some damage, killed one hired gun, but weren’t lucky enough to land some long range shots.

Then I brought the pain. Officer move + Urgency + Royal Guard Champion to the face. Fenn and Leia took a beating, with Fenn left on 1 health and Leia down to 4. Unfortunatley I couldn’t follow up and finish them off, as my opponent took initiative, but it now forced a very difficult decision for him. If he shoot twice with Fenn and didn’t kill the Champion, he’d lose both heroes. If he moved away with one, he’d force me to choose who to kill. Fenn moved away, took a shot and then died, I managed to take C3PO with him since there was no where to be 4 spaces away from other models in that corridor.

After that, it was smooth sailing. The hired guns grabbed 10pts for the objective, the troopers traded fire a few times with the stormies coming off second best, but I was able to run a few units in and take out Gideon. Turns out he was worth 7 pts due to Celebration. Leia made a final attempt to kill the Champion, but it didn’t work out for her. Game went to time with a win to me 36-14ish

3rd Game was also Mos Eisley Cantina. Drinks and Dealings this time.
3rd Opponent. Another Rebel Trooper List.
Same as above but with Rebel High Command instead of C3PO.

My opponent made exactly the same mistake. Fenn and Leia over extended into the Cantina and were greeted with an officer boosted Royal Guard Champion. I can’t remember if I used element of surprise or had turn 2 initiative but either way, Fenn died before he could get a shot off, and Leia was in a bad spot with a stormtroopers and hired guns coming round the corner.

My opponent was quite unlucky with some of his attacks over the next few turns, with grenades only doing 1 damage, and a focused rebel trooper rolling mostly surges and not getting any damage through to the Champion and 3 troopers losing a firefight with heavy stormtroopers and hired guns. I killed a few more troopers, some came back via Reinforcements and the Royal Guard Champion finally went down to focused rebel trooper fire but not before using flurry of blades to take out Gideon and another trooper, however it was too late at that point. Game went to time with scores on about 28-19 (Can’t remember how many times I interacted with the objectives). I think the 5 activations which quickly fell to just 3 was a real disadvantage to my opponent.

Final
So with that, I won all 3 swiss rounds and went into the final feeling pretty confident. My opponent was the same guy I played in Round 1, on the same map. Psychological advantage!!! We played Deception Game this time. And WOW, what a game it was. So many ups and downs, so many amazing plays with the help of command cards. It was a very intense game.

We swapped deployment zones this time. I ran my hired guns very far forward to grab a terminal. They both had the blue token on them, meaning killing them gave me more command cards. Unfortunately I threw them away too easily. By far my biggest misplay of the day. There was a firefight between the hired guns and snowtroopers but I did almost no damage. The following turn was brutal and I lost all 4 hired guns. I was now up two command cards, but down 2 activations. Bad trade.

On the other side of the map, my stormtroopers, heavies and RGC busted through the door. I took some damage there but ultimately killed the royal guard. Points were now even at 8 each.

The snow troopers and probe droid made a dash for my 12 pt officer (he was holding the red token). But there was a champion and stormtroopers in the way as I had brought them back round to counter the new threat.

Snowtroopers were back to three models via reinforcements after losing one to the Hired Gun’s parting shots. My storm troopers and officer were able to bring them down. This got me a huge 17 points as those troopers were holding the red token. On the other side the Heavies and HKs were trading shots. I came off second best eventually and lost one trooper. The HKs moved into a central position to try to catch the Champion. Meanwhile all this time, the Elite Probe droid has been putting out consistent damage into the Hired Guns, Stormtroopers and RGC.

The final big play of the game was RGC vs HKs. Both HKs were positioned just out of range and both were focused thanks to Sorin. However, I played another Urgency fuelled mad dash and was able to Brutality both of the HKs. Unfortunately my dice ran a bit cold and I left one on 1 health and the other on 2. Even after using Element of Surprise on the first one. This meant that the Champion is now in for a world of hurt. I took a huge 6 or 7 damage from the first shot, and then used counter attack to finish off that droid. I was hoping he would move the second droid away first so I could use parting blow and probably win the game, but he shot instead and killed the Champion.

That was such a tense fight and could have easily gone either way depending on the action order of the HKs and if my dice were a bit more “average”. After that it started to go downhill for me. One officer made a mad dash to take a focused shot at the last wounded HK but he failed to kill the **** droid. I finally managed to finish it off with the Heavy Stormtrooper which brought me back into the fight. It was 36-31 to me but I was rapidly running out of firepower.

At this stage I had one heavy stormtrooper and one very expensive and very cowardly officer. He has General Sorin and the **** near invincible Elite Probe Droid. Killing either would win the tournament for me, but I couldn’t risk the officer.

I had one shot with the Heavy, and due to a movement mistake in the previous activation, I couldn’t use Maximum Firepower. This should have probably killed Sorin… REMEMBER TO ALWAYS LOOK AT YOUR COMMAND CARDS! However, I rolled poorly and only managed 2 damage which means it wouldn’t have made any difference, but it was still a pretty big misplay.

The Probe Droid and Sorin didn’t have any trouble finishing off the last Heavy Stormtrooper and we called it there.

Final score was 36-37 but there was no way I could beat Sorin and an Elite Probe Droid with one already wounded officer.

Man of the match was the Probe Droid by far. Recover 2 and one command card meant that it was able to soak up at least 14 damage on a 7 health, 5 point model. Huge value for money and the Surge for 2dmg and 2pierce meant it was having some solid attacks too. With 7 health and a black dice it’s difficult to one shot unless you’re using some expensive units, and it’s not as slow as the cheaper regular droid.

Hired guns were also great all day. They are cheap, fast, hardly worth attacking, but still do pretty good damage with some good surge abilities. I used them poorly in the last game, but they were well worth it in all the other games.

It was an awesome day and I think everyone learnt a lot. Really looking forward to the next tournament in a couple of weeks. I wonder if my Bantha will arrive in time…

Edited by Inquisitorsz

Six person Store in Warsaw, Poland. Interestingly, we had six Rebel squads, even though usually there's a pretty even split of Reb and Imps.

The winning list was:

Wookie Warriors

Wookie Warriors

Wookie Warriors

eRebel Saboteurs + Computer

Gideon + Diplomatic Mission

Threepio

Rebel High Command

Interestingly, this list has also won multiple local Game Night tournaments in a row. It uses heavy points denial tactics combined with Diplomatic VP ticks and occasional mission/killing VPs to simply outlast the opposition while being ahead by a few points. Other than Reprogrammed, all the current missions have a control/king of the hill element to them, so it turns out a pretty viable strategy. I've managed to beat it once with Imp Troopers, but had no such luck since.

I tested out an 8-act Rebel spam list based on multiple regular Echo Troopers with Sab and Smuggler support, but unfortunately it didn't really work. All the other lists were usual Rebel variations of Luke, Sabs, Gideons and occasional Leias/Troopers.

Won my first tournament at CaptainCon in RI back at the beginning of  February with:

Luke

Leia

C-3P0

Gideon

On a Diplomatic Mission

2x Elite Echo Base Troppers

Command Deck:

Celebration

Element of Surprise

Emergency Aid

Inspiring Speech

New Orders

Take Initiative

Urgency

Son of Skywalker

Take It Down

Devotion

Hard To Hit

Stealth Tactics

Of No Importance

Negation

I can feel It

Focused Echo Base Troopers within 3 of Luke and 3 of the enemy are REALLY good guys....

I won the Store Championship at Weekend Warlords (UK) today. Only five of us in the tournament unfortunately, but lots of fun. Three Rebel lists, all with Luke, mine was the only one not to also have Leia; the the other two lists were Scum. (No Imperials at all, which is a definite change compared to a little while back - first tournament I went to there saw Vader in five out of six lists).

My list:

Luke Skywalker

Elite Rebel Troopers

Elite Rebel Saboteurs with Targeting Computer

Elite Rebel Saboteurs

Gideon Argus with On A Diplomatic Mission

C-3PO

Element of Surprise

Explosive Weaponry (x2)

Focus

Heart of Freedom

Hit and Run

Jump Jets

Maximum Firepower

Of No Importance

Planning

Self-Defense

Slippery Target

Son of Skywalker

Take Initiative

Urgency

I took similar Deployment Cards to our previous tournament, and put on only a middling performance. But this time, I completely overhauled my Command Cards - they're such a huge part of the game and I think they get overlooked too often in list-building discussions. The only one I took that pretty much sucked was Self-Defense (OK, fine, if Darth Vader's got one Health left and moves next to you to hit you with his lightsaber, it'd be worth its weight in gold... but how often does that happen?), pretty much every other card I drew in the whole tournament was useful.

It might surprise some people, but the Elite Troopers are a big part of my list. Get Into Position plus help from C-3PO and Gideon gives me a minimum of five (maybe six) Focussed models for turn two, which is a terrifying firepower potential, especially if the Troopers get to shoot before moving in their second activation. Vastly underestimated in my opinion, and when you add all that Focus to the damage the Saboteurs can do anyway, I'm going to be killing things. True, when the enemy hit back, there's nothing to tank damage... but it suits my play-style to get into position fast, hit hard first, then try to stay in front.

Feeling pretty pleased with myself at the moment, anyway, though it was only a very small tournament.

Six person Store in Warsaw, Poland. Interestingly, we had six Rebel squads, even though usually there's a pretty even split of Reb and Imps.

The winning list was:

Wookie Warriors

Wookie Warriors

Wookie Warriors

Threepio

Rebel High Command

Interestingly, this list has also won multiple local Game Night tournaments in a row. It uses heavy points denial tactics combined with Diplomatic VP ticks and occasional mission/killing VPs to simply outlast the opposition while being ahead by a few points. Other than Reprogrammed, all the current missions have a control/king of the hill element to them, so it turns out a pretty viable strategy. I've managed to beat it once with Imp Troopers, but had no such luck since.

I tested out an 8-act Rebel spam list based on multiple regular Echo Troopers with Sab and Smuggler support, but unfortunately it didn't really work. All the other lists were usual Rebel variations of Luke, Sabs, Gideons and occasional Leias/Troopers.

Do you happen to have the command deck for the wookie list?  Thanks!

Level Up Games in St. Paul, Minnesota, 3/5/16 Store Champs:

• eBantha
  • eNexu x2
  • rHK
  • Gideon
  • Mak
  • Temp. Alliance
  • Beast Tamer
  • Punishing Strike
  • Devious Scheme
Edited by tropoFarmer

The winning list was:

Wookie Warriors

Wookie Warriors

Wookie Warriors

Threepio

Rebel High Command

Do you happen to have the command deck for the wookie list?  Thanks!

The usual - Pummels, Parting Blows, Wookie Rages, movement cards, Take Initiative. By the time you put in those, anything else is a matter of taste really. Only potentially interesting thing is that after seeing the list play several times now, we agreed that Adrenaline is pretty pointless.

In all honesty, I find posting Command decks counterproductive. Just looking at the deployment card list will give you a good idea of the cards that synergize with it (Troopers - Reinforcements and Grenadier, Brawlers - Brawler-ey cards, Creatures - creature and brawler cards, Sabs - heavy weapon cards), then add any character specific cards (unless they're really bad and/or costly, but most of those already come tied to pretty bad characters you shouldn't play anyway) and the standard suite of movement cards, Take Initiative and Planning.

After that you're left with just a couple free card slots that are pretty much up to your personal taste. It's not rocket science, just match up the traits and you'll be fine.

I'd be much more interested in seeing even a brief evaluation of the opposition. Context is key. A winning deployment card list posted here in complete vacuum is pretty worthless information. It might look like an 'OMG I can't believe you won meta breaking' squad, but for all I know it might have just beaten two random core-set-only new player lists in a three-person tournament.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

Played at a store championship this weekend in Louisville, Ky at Something To Do. First off, neat store, very polite and organized employees! There were ten competitors and four rounds. My list was a new one that I hadn't played before (because I'm a genius, right?)

IG-88 with targeting computer (13)

HK Assasination Droid (8)

HK Assasination Droid (8)

Temporary Alliance (1)

C-3PO (2)

Leia (8)

Command Deck

Overdrive (3)

Blaze of Glory (2)

Etiquette and Protocol (2)

Repair (2)

Repair (2)

Regroup (1)

Single Purpose (1)

Negation (1)

Jump Jets (1)

Element of Surprise (0)

Take Cover (0)

Rally (0)

Urgency (0)

Take Initiative (0)

Fleet Footed (0)

I don't know the full contents of any of my opponents command decks.

Game 1 (Deception Game) (loss:0-40)

Went against the tournament champion. He brought Imperial Troopers... I want to say that it was 2xelite Storm Troopers, elite Snow Troopers, Royal Guard, 2x Imperial Officers. I made 3PO my red, and IG and one of my HKs were my blues. I've actually played against this list or a variant of it many times, I am certain that the key to its defeat lies in the single turn annihilation of the snow troopers. We jockeyed for position, and traded fire. The HKs did more damage than the troopers did, however my big fear came to fruition when the snow troopers began healing everything in sight. At the start of the third turn, I saw an opportunity and threw a Hail Mary. I hurled IG-88 into the middle of the troopers, surely to be sacrificed, and I took down 2 of the three snow troopers rolling double red dice with the rerolls. Then the royal guard went and very unfortunately, was able to land a stun on IG, this prevented the second part of my palm from succeeding. I moved up Leia and shot the remaining snow trooper, the plan had been for IG to use the attack on Battlefield Leadership to get the kill and the heal and hopefully survive, but an HK had to take the shot from about eight spaces away, and came up short on the the accuracy check, even with the reroll. The snow trooper survived with one hitpoint, and IG-88 was summarily executed, and then C-3PO was sniped from behind the HK's to whom he was providing a surge block, and everything fell apart very quickly on turn four.

Game 2 (Battlefield Engineering) (loss 32-40)

Very fun game against a gracious opponent. Pretty sure his list was 2xRebel Troopers, Fenn Singis, Mak, Gideon Argus, C-3PO, Leia, Rebel High Command. First move of the game probably cost me the game. I focused IG-88 with 3PO and then moved 3PO forward, wanting to have him in position for the next turn. Rebel Troopers went next (his first move) managed to get LoS and popped 3PO who rolled a blank on his white. IG moved up and killed a trooper, and then everything else went forward. Turn two, IG took out two guards but didn't roll any surges to heal on the second attack, Gideon focused Fenn who then just annihilated IG since Leia unfortunately managed to kill her trooper in one attack with Battlefield Leadership, making it so that IG-88 couldn't attack a third time in an attempt to heal. Anyway, the next few turns were a brilliant display of maneuvering and dice rolling by my HK's. Leia died the turn after IG-88 because Fenn was going on a tear. The HKs managed to take out Mak, Evil Leia, Evil C-3PO, and they even touched one another on their Vital Components. Then they took out Fenn Singus and I thought I won, until we realized that we had made an accounting error and that My opponent had one when his characters touched their own Vital Components. He offered to let me have the victory since he had made an error, but I wouldn't hear of it. I had my own moral victory and I had lost fair and square.

Game 3 (Incoming Transmission) (Victory 40-20)

Third game in a row against a great opponent! He brought the Wonder Twins and Sabs... Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa, C-3PO, R2-D2, Gideon Argus, Elite Rebel Sabateurs, Rebel Sabateurs. We actually learned together at the beginning of this game, that you cant pass the initiative on the first turn of the game if you win the initiative roll. I did not know that before now, and I dread winning initiative now. Anyway, He kind of surprised me on the first turn by immediately splitting his Sabs into two groups and setting one group into the "data core" room and sending the other group down the hallway by the terminal. I was able to easily take out the two Sabs in the hallway, and then I realized his gambit when Skywalker came around the long corner and defeated both of my HKs in one group for a quick and easy eight points. Unfortunately the dice gods didnt shine on him when IG-88 was able to dispatch Luke with the help of good Leia. The remaining Sabs activated their Transmissions for a quick 12 Victory Points. The third turn however, Bad Leia managed to roll four X-Men in a row, and then R2-D2 did the same! I've never seen anything like it. Turn four though sealed the deal with some hot Good Leia on Bad Leia action, as well as the destruction of Gideon Argus and one of the remaining Sabs, followed by a Good C-3PO activation of his Transmission.

Game 4 (Reprogrammed) (loss 26-33 time called)

Again, a fantastic opponent. He brought a variation of the Imperial Troopers that I haven't seen before, consisting of elite Storm Troopers with Vader's Finest, elite Storm Troopers, 2x Imperial Officers, and I'm not sure which was elite but also Royal Guard and Heavy Troopers... one or both of those could have been elite, I haven't done the math. Anyway, I felt very confident going in since there were no snow troopers. We grabbed four of the five objectives on the first turn between us, and on the second turn, I managed to kill both of his Royal Guard with long range shooting from HKs and also IG-88 popping around the northern most corridor, again, imperiling himself, but I would have initiative the next turn. Third turn, I play Overdrive, IG kills an Imperial Officer and manages to put one less point of damage than he needed to on a heavy trooper. The trooper in turn used whatever the command card is that grants a heavy weapon four bonus damage to take IG-88 to nine damage and the other one finished him off. Then one group of HKs went and killed one storm trooper. To summarize the rest of turn two, both sides slapped eachother really hard. Nothing else died but everything was about one hit point from death. Turn three, Vader's Finest ran way full speed after losing one of their own, and one HK died. Turn four I was able to kill one of his storm troopers and one of his heavy troopers, but for the life of me couldn't catch him to kill a full group and time was called.I was winning in hit points, but IG-88 gave him the necessary victory points to get him over the edge for the victory.

Summary (Store Championship) (1-3 somewhere between 5-9 place)

Despite three losses, I had a really great time. All of my opponents were class acts and none of them had a bad attitude or a negative thing to say the entire time, even when things weren't going their way. I learned that I need to be less aggressive with IG-88, who was strangely, my only let down, everybody else in my list was above par for the day, with even C-3PO grabbing 18 victory points for a win in the third game! If I make a change in the list, it will be to replace IG-88 and his Targeting Computer with Boba Fett. My strategy was sound, but I have too much of a tendency to go ham with IG-88, but with Boba Fett, I have a tendency to play more cautiously. Which will hopefully make me much less likely to break formation. That having been said, I had some extremely bad luck the entire tournament with rolls, often rolling (and rerolling) the lowest possible damage and surge outputs on my dice, or coming up just short on accuracy. My command deck is going to see a major renovation though. I didn't draw blaze of glory one time the entire tournament, the repair card was only used once, and regroup, rally, and E&P were in my hand in three out of four games and didn't once get used. I found myself sometimes holding over six command cards with no use for any of them. The only complaint about the tournament that I have is that one guy left after the third round, forcing a guy to not get to play his fourth game. That isn't anybody's fault but his... Still though, it felt very unsportsmanlike.

That aside, it was a great time, and I will gladly do it again.