Sign in to follow this  
SuperArppis

Aquiring new specializations...

Hi.

How does this exactly work? It says getting a new specialization costs 10 times the normal cost of experience points. Does this mean EVERY talent you buy from the new specialization tree costs 10 times the sum they would normally cost?

Or does it mean that you need to pay certain number of experience first, but the talents then cost the same as they say in the talent tree?

Or... what? :)

Or does it mean that you need to pay certain number of experience first, but the talents then cost the same as they say in the talent tree?

This. You pay 20 xp for the second spec, 30 xp for the third and so on. If the spec is from a different career you add 10 xp to the cost, except for universal specializations (Force Sensitive Exile, Force Sensitive Emergent and Recruit)

So Smuggler:Scoundrel that goes Pilot pays 20xp then Smuggler: scoundrel/pilot that goes Thief pays 30xp. If the smuggler:scoundrel goes Outlaw Tech (a different career spec) pays 20xp+10=30 xp. Smuggler:scoundrel/pilot/outlaw tech that goes Bounty Hunter pays 40xp and so on. 

The universal specs cannot be taken as first spec and always cost 20xp for the second spec, 30xp as third spec, 40xp as fourth spec and so on.

Each new specialization has an xp cost of 10 times the total number of specializations you will end up with, plus an additional 10xp if it is out of your career.

For example, my Assassin added the Merc. Soldier specialization. It cost me 30 xp because my second specialization cost me 20 xp, plus 10 for it not being in my original career. If I'd gone for Gadgeteer, it would've only cost me 20. If I add Gadgeteer now, it will be 30, because it's my third specialization.

The talents within the trees only cost their listed value. Furthermore, if you purchase a non-ranked talent and it appears on your next tree, you can proceed past it at no cost since you already possess the talent. Ranked talents you purchase normally and gain the additional rank.

It says getting a new specialization costs 10 times the normal cost of experience points.

No, it says it costs 10 times the number of specs you will have after you purchase it, with a 10XP premium for specs outside your career.

So if your Smuggler buys the Ambassador spec, that will take him to two specs total, so the cost is 20XP...but the Ambassador spec is not a Smuggler spec, so it's an extra 10XP, so 30XP total.

Edit:  ninja infestation!

Edited by whafrog

Also, just to ensure, Talents cost what their block says they cost, no matter how many different specializations you may have.

Mostly true. If you’re about to buy a second instance of the same talent that you had previously bought somewhere else, then what matters is whether or not the talent is RANKED or not.

If the talent is RANKED, then you pay the specified cost for it, exactly as described above.

Otherwise, if the talent in question is NOT RANKED, then you skip over that additional instance and consider it to have already been bought. You would then presumably go on to purchase whatever the next talent is “beyond” the one that you already have.

If you’re not sure whether a talent is RANKED or not, then you need to read the full description. The summary description of a talent inside the box on the page may or may not be clear as to whether or not it is a RANKED talent.

Shameless Thread Resurrection:

Table 2-4: Spending Starting Experience on p92 of the core book says that the cost of purchasing a new Specialization is:

Ten times the number of purchased specializations including new specialization (non-Career specialization costs 10 additional XP) .

Notice how it specifies "purchased".  That, to me, implies that your first NEW Specialization (at least during Character Creation) only costs 10 (20 if it it's non-Career and non-Universal) since your initial Specialization wasn't purchased.  Any thoughts on that?

9 minutes ago, inertiakitty said:

Table 2-4: Spending Starting Experience on p92 of the core book says that the cost of purchasing a new Specialization is:

Notice how it specifies "purchased".  That, to me, implies that your first NEW Specialization (at least during Character Creation) only costs 10 (20 if it it's non-Career and non-Universal) since your initial Specialization wasn't purchased.  Any thoughts on that?

That you got it for 0XP doesn't mean it wasn't purchased.

Going back and reading the text of the section on the next page, the intent is pretty clear (since this is still in the Character Creation chapter).  The "purchased or not" argument has validity on both sides, in my opinion.

Thanks for chiming in.

40 minutes ago, inertiakitty said:

Purchasing an additional specialization within a character's career costs 10 times the total number of specializations he would possess with this new specialization. So a character with one specialization could purchase a second career specialization for 20 experience.

p.93 EoE

Thoughts?  You're wrong.  Read the book, not just the tables.

5 hours ago, inertiakitty said:

You answer this in your own quote

Ten times the number of purchased specializations including new specialization (non-Career specialization costs 10 additional XP) .

so yes its 10 times the number of purchazed specializations INCLUDING NEW SPECIALIZATION, so if already have your original free one,  add your new specialization thats 2 , multiply by 10 is 20 and add 10 more for out of career for 20 (in career) and 30 (out of career), sorry if Im hitting you over the head with it, but your own quote was correct but your own calculation was wrong.

10 hours ago, 2P51 said:

p.93 EoE

Thoughts?  You're wrong.  Read the book, not just the tables.

I did.  It looked like the two conflicted.  Hence, the forums.

5 hours ago, syrath said:

You answer this in your own quote

so yes its 10 times the number of purchazed specializations INCLUDING NEW SPECIALIZATION, so if already have your original free one,  add your new specialization thats 2 , multiply by 10 is 20 and add 10 more for out of career for 20 (in career) and 30 (out of career), sorry if Im hitting you over the head with it, but your own quote was correct but your own calculation was wrong.

No problem.  As I say, my main question was whether to consider the original free one was considered "purchased" or not . If not, it wouldn't count among the "purchased" and thus, for the first non-free specialization, you'd have a cost of 10, just counting the new one (20 for non-career).  Everything else about it made perfect sense.

I feel somewhat justified in my query since, after perusing a copy of Age of Rebellion, I saw that they had re-worded the table entry to specify "the number of possessed specializations", so I guess someone out at FF agreed that the wording needed clarification.

Thanks again for all your input.

7 hours ago, inertiakitty said:

I did.  It looked like the two conflicted.  Hence, the forums.

No problem.  As I say, my main question was whether to consider the original free one was considered "purchased" or not . If not, it wouldn't count among the "purchased" and thus, for the first non-free specialization, you'd have a cost of 10, just counting the new one (20 for non-career).  Everything else about it made perfect sense.

I feel somewhat justified in my query since, after perusing a copy of Age of Rebellion, I saw that they had re-worded the table entry to specify "the number of possessed specializations", so I guess someone out at FF agreed that the wording needed clarification.

Thanks again for all your input.

Sorry I misunderstood, even if its free its still purchased. Same as if you buy something in a shop and you get something free with it. They arent giving away specializations you purchase a free one at creation, same with purchasing "free " ranks in skills.