Sign in to follow this  
Eldritch Mike

How Did Your Last Game Go?

Just played Signs of Carcosa with Hastur, the appropriate Prelude, and the 4 new investigators right out of the box. Great game, lots of inhibited skills and low sanity. Should also mention that 4some is a great combination of abilities to play a game with.

Eked out a solid win with 3-4 left on Doom Track.

I missed the Strange Remnants exp, but have it on order. Game before this was the UTP expansion and TBH I didn't like it nearly as much as the Carcosa game.

The two of us played against Azazoth with expansions up to Strange Remnants.

We had six Rumor cards together with three Epic Monsters in play, then we drew the Mythos card and we both had to lose six health, needless to say game over.

l have never played a game of Eldritch Horror like it, also it was my friends first and last game of it.

The two of us played against Azazoth with expansions up to Strange Remnants.

We had six Rumor cards together with three Epic Monsters in play, then we drew the Mythos card and we both had to lose six health, needless to say game over.

l have never played a game of Eldritch Horror like it, also it was my friends first and last game of it.

Awww, that's too bad. But yes, sometimes the stars are just right.  <_<

Wait. Six rumor cards? How does that happen?

Yeah, I missed that. Pretty sure you can usually at MOST have 3. 4 if you get really unlucky and draw a prelude that starts the game with a rumor, plus the mythos that adds another one.

Worth sharing the massive take down accomplished by He Who Should Not be Named in my most recent game.

Playing with the revised reference cards and random prelude.  Before the investigators (Jenny, Wendy, Silas, Agnes) start they end up facing:

• Rumor (due to prelude): The Wind Walker
  • Mystery: Spawn of Hastur 
  • Three open gates (two from revised references, one from Spawn of Hastur Mystery): Sydney, Rome, Arkham.
  • Monsters in play:  Spawn of Hastur and Dark Young at Arkham, Wind Walker, Werewolf at Rome and a Ghost in Sydney (at least that was easy).

During the next four turns

• the investigators managed to close just one gate despite making four attempts. Needless to day doom advanced quickly!
  • Dark Young advanced doom twice.
  • The the Outbreak! mythos card was played resulting in a Zombie Horde spawning (wonderful ... more doom advancement).
  • Despite loading people up with gear (thanks to Jenny), and moving people to Arkham to slowly chip away at Dark Young + Spawn of Hastur (who can only take one damage at a time ... argh!), things didn't durn out well due to abysmal performance will tests resulting in a massive pile up of insane investigators in Arkham.
  • Rumors entering play were Cold White Silence and Treader of the Dust.

Needless to say, He Who Should not Be Named woke up and managed to eliminate three of the investigators in one round when doom advanced by five due to all the unattended gates. The sole remaining investigator was eliminated later that same mythos phase when both The Wind Walker and Cold White Silence rumors "failed" and he needed to discard a total of 10 health!

All in all, a reminder of how brutal the game can be at times.   :)

Edit: Corrected grammer

Edited by ricedwlit

Also Azathoth for me, with 4 investigators - Jenny Barnes, Norman Withers, Michael McGlen, and Wendy Adams.

This turned out to be a good team, with everyone pulling their weight, even with Jenny getting the Cursed Sphere early on and pretty much cursed on every reckoning. She had two curses trigger and got really lucky. The first would've devoured her if the Omen was on the red space (it was on the first blue) and the second would've devoured her if she was on a city space (she was in the Himalayas).

Solved the third mystery with Doom on 5 in what felt like a relatively comfortable win, but on looking at the next Mythos card I realised disaster was just around the corner had the game gone on one more turn. I'd previously pushed all the investigators through a heatwave to go for the third mystery, leaving them all on the ragged edge with health. The next Mythos card was Tide of Despair, which would've taken out McGlen (on 2 health but had an infection, so couldn't have recovered in time), and Wendy (on 1 health and couldn't have recovered enough). It might also have taken out the other two if I'd pushed for the win and not rested them. Throw in a doom advance via a gate and it would have been game over next turn, so in fact it was incredibly close!