Sign in to follow this  
qcipher

Has Conflict been an issue in your games?

One of my main issues is forgetting to have people roll for it after a session.  It can then build up a bit too high making for a tougher roll than they would have had.

So far it seems like it's advantageous to get just a littl Conflict once a game, so as to improve your Morality, potentially by a bunch.  In a way it makes some sense, as you have a chance to learn from your mistakes.

But has this been an issue in your games?  Have you had people degrading their Morality by their actions?  Or has it increased too high and too fast?

In my game, we've had no issues with Morality, we have one character who is very careful, and compassionate, and goes out of his way to avoid unnecessary violence, and he became a Light Side Paragon in three sessions, whereas my own character, who is very much a passionate free spirit who acts impulsively, has been inching ever closer to The Dark Side as play goes on. 

The big problem I can see from your end is remembering to resolve it at the end of the session, and there are several ways to get around this. The first is just leaving yourself a note to remind you to resolve conflict, this is a really simple way to do it, but not foolproof. The other way I could suggest, is to involve the players, ask them to remind you about it. If your group is like mine, and you have one or more players who are keen to hit those paragon levels, I guarantee you they will never forget to remind you, (espeically if he/she wants to be a Light Side user, it is paramount to him not to have his conflict roll over to the next session).

For the first; I would simply do it when return. After all, someones making a note of the conflict gained? The important thing is that they encounter enough situations to gain conflict and they make choices.

Yup, they can do that. It really isn't a huge deal to go paragon, but as people amass more force powers, the party starts to collect nemesis or foes, situations start escalating and they begin getting involved with the greater universe from people needing their services, the chances for conflict improve. One thing worth stating is that emotion is very important for morality gain; striking a nemesis down in the heat of combat should largely be OK, striking down once they have sarrended? Probably some. Defenceless person? Definitely, even if in the long run it's benifical. 

Another thing is inaction can and should generate conflict. Watching slavers being taken, massacres and witnessing vicious loss should prompt morality loss from observing the action. This should be done in moderation however and you should rarely have them lose morality for something that they can't realistically prevent. After all in Hutt Space slavery is very common and is actually accepted as part of the local 'law', thus the party really shouldn't be looking to overthrow an entire establishment. Just on occasion they might witness it somewhere off the beaten track and may or may not be able to assist.

That being said, I would use this machanic in combination with Obligation from Edge of the Empire, having something for the force users to work with may force them to work with the greater galaxy, rather then having them largely indulge in self interest. An occupation always helps with the plot hooks.

I have a single F&D character among the PCs, and much of the game's focus isn't on the Force. The character in question is also pretty ignorant of the ways of the Force yet, so she doesn't use her Force abilities much. I have decided that she should only roll for the effects of Conflict in the sessions she is actively using the Force, and that works well enough. The main problem I see is that it is too easy to become a Light SIde Paragon - unless the player is using a lot of Dark Side pips and doing some horrendous actions, her character's Morality is steadily increasing. Since her mentor is a Grey Jedi, who stresses the importance of Balance between the two sides, this doesn't work so well for us. I'm considering replacing the Morality system altogether with something else, actually. We'll see.

There is a chart in the GM section. Copy it off. Have a note with each player that has morality. If they do something that would generate conflict note it down. remember sources of conflict do not end with the chart. It is not hard to reach paragon unless you the GM give the players tough choices. The rode to paragon should be a tough and full of pot holes. 

I have a single F&D character among the PCs, and much of the game's focus isn't on the Force. The character in question is also pretty ignorant of the ways of the Force yet, so she doesn't use her Force abilities much. I have decided that she should only roll for the effects of Conflict in the sessions she is actively using the Force, and that works well enough. The main problem I see is that it is too easy to become a Light SIde Paragon - unless the player is using a lot of Dark Side pips and doing some horrendous actions, her character's Morality is steadily increasing. Since her mentor is a Grey Jedi, who stresses the importance of Balance between the two sides, this doesn't work so well for us. I'm considering replacing the Morality system altogether with something else, actually. We'll see.

Depends really on what your characters do for a living; as smugglers give them sensitive cargo as conflict doesn't have to be about extreme decisions, just about opportunities. Personally I strongly dislike the concept of grey Jedi (the term is used for slander for those that don't adhere precisely to the Jedi order's conformity. Characters don't just use the dark side causally.) but I imagine the way of the grey jedi would also require a bit of selfishness. E.g. if a particlar person or crime lord has an artefact essential for rebuilding the order, you must have it for your purpose, even if you have liberate it from them unwillingly. Have the PC notice something in the middle of a deal, during a raid. Naturally wealth will rarely be enough, unless one applies the 5 digit discount.

A force adapt, Tobin Stryder, robbed Kaltho the Hutt blind in a second daring raid to steal the jewel of yavin (after the events of the Jewel Of Yavin, it had remained in Kalthos procession after the dust had settled), though he failed (a mind trick later and he didn't notice a particlar character until that NPC was on a starship, blasting a hole through the wall), he was able to liberate several lightsaber crystals and a wealth of rare, experimental material for his alliance backers and the favour of a powerful ally in a rival hutt. He however, gained a healthy slab of conflict for robbing a innocent party and excessive property damage (the Hutt has never actually done anything to earn this PC's ire directly, he's a very real victim in a entirely unprovoked raid just as a call out for a reputatiable bounty hunter, Dillenger.), which sent him from 70 to 50ish after all was said and done*.

In short, it's very possible to use conflict to gain very positive results but earn huge conflict to represent questionable methods. Present opportunities to gain very helpful resources for huge emotional consequences.

*Totally worth it for a HWK-1000!

Depends really on what your characters do for a living; as smugglers give them sensitive cargo as conflict doesn't have to be about extreme decisions, just about opportunities. Personally I strongly dislike the concept of grey Jedi (the term is used for slander for those that don't adhere precisely to the Jedi order's conformity. Characters don't just use the dark side causally.) but I imagine the way of the grey jedi would also require a bit of selfishness. E.g. if a particlar person or crime lord has an artefact essential for rebuilding the order, you must have it for your purpose, even if you have liberate it from them unwillingly. Have the PC notice something in the middle of a deal, during a raid. Naturally wealth will rarely be enough, unless one applies the 5 digit discount.

A force adapt, Tobin Stryder, robbed Kaltho the Hutt blind in a second daring raid to steal the jewel of yavin (after the events of the Jewel Of Yavin, it had remained in Kalthos procession after the dust had settled), though he failed (a mind trick later and he didn't notice a particlar character until that NPC was on a starship, blasting a hole through the wall), he was able to liberate several lightsaber crystals and a wealth of rare, experimental material for his alliance backers and the favour of a powerful ally in a rival hutt. He however, gained a healthy slab of conflict for robbing a innocent party and excessive property damage (the Hutt has never actually done anything to earn this PC's ire directly, he's a very real victim in a entirely unprovoked raid just as a call out for a reputatiable bounty hunter, Dillenger.), which sent him from 70 to 50ish after all was said and done*.

In short, it's very possible to use conflict to gain very positive results but earn huge conflict to represent questionable methods. Present opportunities to gain very helpful resources for huge emotional consequences.

*Totally worth it for a HWK-1000!

Cool story, and I agree with much of what you say. The problem for me (as GM) is that the themes of the campaign do not fit well with a Force user attempting to stay balanced - almost all of the missions the characters are doing are heroic and selfless. I'm pushing the player in question to perform acts that will add Conflict, but it often ends up going against the flow of the campaign, so to speak. I don't really have an issue with the fact that a good Force user gets a high Morality, as such. It's more that it is insanely easy to become a Light Side Paragon without doing much of anything, really. Never mind, though, I don't really have a problem or anything. I just wanted it on the record that the game seems too heavily tilted towards the Light Side mechanically. You'd have to be pretty set on going Dark Side, and that's not at all how it's presented in the movies, where the Jedi have to be on their very best behaviour at all times to avoid temptation.

Hmm, what kind of campaign are you running? It's kind of hard to comment otherwise, though I guess it depends on the nature and what abilities are taken. Ultimately though, it falls on the character to spring on the moments.

That being said, if you can't work morality in, nothing wrong with tossing it out and using obligation to shackle them to dramatic storytelling.

Conflict and Morality, while I believe should be central to almost every F&D game, don't have to be included if the general theme of your game doesn't focus on it. If you want to run an AoR or EotE game, but want to include some F&D stuff, yet you don't want to worry about a mechanic dealing with something nonessential to your players' actions in this story, you don't have to. Some GMs and players will state that Morality is a balance mechanic to willy-nilly force use. It can be. So can the narrative. So can players and GMs working together to ensure everyone has fun.

If your group wants to use Morality and Conflict without having it feel like a detraction from the fun, ensure everyone is on the same wavelength about what will and won't cause conflict. Also be consistent about when rolling for Morality changes occurs. If it occurs after every session, no matter what, stick with it. If it occurs only after a session in which a major choice of action due to morality came up, stick with that. Don't go back and forth arbitrarily for reasons like, oh, you only gained 1 conflict this session, we're not rolling this time. Or the reverse of that, so you gained 23 conflict over the last 5 sessions! Great, you can finally roll for morality. Those extremes are probably not fun. Which brings me to what I think is the hardest part of the morality system: Consistency. Balancing when to roll, when not to roll, when to award conflict and when no to, is the hardest part. It's not the same for every group. It's not even the same for the same group but in different stories. Once you and your group figure this part out, Morality and Conflict become much more effortless to utilize.

In my group of 4, me and one other started as paragons instead of extra credits/exp. we've been careful about conflict, but one of our party members is a Sentinel Shadow who goes around without the party's knowledge and steals stuff, so her morality has stayed around 50. Me and the other paragon generally have gone up, but I have dropped a little as the consular Healer with the love/jealousy motivation because I don't hesitate to use dark side points to activate heal if the party needs it.

Hey thanks for all the info, good stuff for me to consider.  We've just finished the two opening adventures from the book and the screen respectively, so now the PCs can truly say they are taking their first steps into a wider world.  I use that chart also, it's very helpful.