Sign in to follow this  
Rat Catcher

More than 2 Players?

Hello

I'm thinking of buying the X Wing miniatures game because it looks cool

Can you play with more than 2 players?

Is there any errata for the Force Awakens editon?

What's the largest sized space battle mat I should get, I'm looking at the 3' x 3' mat but does the game cater to bigger mats?

Thanks all.

Edited by Rat Catcher

Normally two players, but you can play with however many you like it you want. As for errata, you can download the FAQ document and that covers everything you should need.

The 3x3' playmat should be sufficient, but if you get into the huge ships (the Correlian Corvette or the Imperial Raider and such), you probably need a second mat.

Thanks all

What battle mat would you recommend, keeping in mind I'll probably end up buying two?

Also, the FAQ is quite extensive at 16 pages. How much of it applies to the newer Force Awakens core set?

Edited by Rat Catcher

Thanks all

What battle mat would you recommend, keeping in mind I'll probably end up buying two?

Also, the FAQ is quite extensive at 16 pages. How much of it applies to the newer Force Awakens core set?

FFG have just released two new playmats that will both butt up against a standard starfield mat. So the standard one isn't a bad place to start.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/fantasy-flight-supply/products/x-wing-tm-starfield-playmat/

uSWS23-24-playmat2.jpguSWS23-24-playmat1.jpg

The largest chunk of the FAQ is taken up by specific cards and either errata or clarifications for them. Most of those cards are not in the TFA Core Set, but reading them can still help you understand the rules better in general.

The Force Awakens set is a more refined version of the previous set with some new additions. The FAQ covers every element of the game from the start that may have caused confusion, and keeps it all in line with the Force Awakens version of the rules. It's an extremely important document regardless, as the last section, #5, has the basic questions that will arise no matter what version you have.

If you read through it, some parts will make sense, other parts won't until you acquire the ships and cards that are mentioned. For example the Slave I expansion gives you a large sized ship with an auxiliary firing arc out the back. The TIE Fighter expansion comes with a pilot ("Backstabber") that gains a bonus when attacking from outside the defender's firing arc. The FAQ explains firing arcs and how these two interact.

So how much applies to the Force Awakens core set? I would say nearly all of it, in one way or another. Most important bits to read in the order I would apply them would be:

• Section 1. This contains actual changes to wording of certain rules (Boost and Cloak/Decloak) and some cards.
  • Section 3. This is the rules clarification section and explains some of the terms and how some of those are applied to gameplay.
  • Section 5, the Frequently Asked Questions themselves. Have the rulebook handy and cross reference with the appropriate rule when you need to. Sometimes you have to read the rule and then the question to see how that applies.
  • Section 4. The card clarifications. You should check this section every time you get a new expansion to see if there's an update to any of the cards in that expansion.
  • Section 2. This is a repeat and/or clarification of any little rules inserts that come with some ships (any of the bombers, the Rebel K-Wing, the YV-666 and the Gozanti cruiser).

And before you know it, you've read the lot.

Any time you ask a question here, the majority of the answers will be from players quoting the competitive play rules. These are a slightly tighter and more defined set of guidelines for the regular rules and there are some subtle differences. But it's not a bad idea to get into the habit of playing to that standard.

One thing to keep in mind is, never assume anything with this game. Most of it is black and white and reasonably well defined for the beginner. When using a pilot's ability or an upgrade, do what the card says, don't do what it doesn't say.

Ok so what's the best way to start?

I'd like to have more than the core set ships, so should I buy two core sets for the extra dice and stuff?

Also, has anyone used cut black cloth for space terrain? I'd like to buy a space mat in the future but right now I can't justify the expense

I'd like to have more than the core set ships, so should I buy two core sets for the extra dice and stuff?

Also, has anyone used cut black cloth for space terrain? I'd like to buy a space mat in the future but right now I can't justify the expense

Yes, buying two core sets (specifically, one of each) is a good way of getting extra dice and movement templates, plus each core set has a few very good pilots and upgrades.

I think the most common budget playmat option I've seen it to cut up a yoga mat.

Yes, buying two core sets (specifically, one of each) is a good way of getting extra dice and movement templates, plus each core set has a few very good pilots and upgrades.

I think the most common budget playmat option I've seen it to cut up a yoga mat.

When you say 'specifically, one of each', what do you mean exactly, the blue force awakens core set and the red original core set?

Also, because the force awakens core set is out, does it matter which ships I buy in the future?

Edited by Sparky68

When you say 'specifically, one of each', what do you mean exactly, the blue force awakens core set and the red original core set?

Also, because the force awakens core set is out, does it matter which ships I buy in the future?

Yes get one of each core set. 

No it does not matter. 

No it does not matter. 

Thanks

Can I ask why I should get one of each core set and not two force awakens core sets?

Edited by Sparky68

No it does not matter. 

Thanks

Can I ask why I should get one of each core set and not two force awakens core sets?

Because you get a different set of ships and upgrades that way, and some of the stuff unique to the original core set is very good, particularly the R2D2 astromech slot upgrade, not to mention that both core sets have unique upgrades in them which can only be fielded once per side, so there's relatively little benefit in having them, such as BB8.  It's really up to you though; 2 f/a core sets won't serve you badly, particularly.

No it does not matter. 

Thanks

Because you get a different set of ships and upgrades that way, and some of the stuff unique to the original core set is very good, particularly the R2D2 astromech slot upgrade, not to mention that both core sets have unique upgrades in them which can only be fielded once per side, so there's relatively little benefit in having them, such as BB8.  It's really up to you though; 2 f/a core sets won't serve you badly, particularly.

Ok thanks for clarifying

If I buy the original and the force awakens core sets, I'll only need to read the force awakens rules (as well as the unique items from the original set)?

No it does not matter. 

Thanks

Because it gives you options in ships, pilots, upgrades, asteroids, and damage decks. 

Ok thanks for clarifying

If I buy the original and the force awakens core sets, I'll only need to read the force awakens rules (as well as the unique items from the original set)?

Yes just use the Rules Reference Guide for any rules questions as well as the most recent FAQ. Both are available for download here on the site. 

The only thing you're going to get out of another TFA core set, is more ships and generic pilots, more dice and another set of templates. Any of the unique pilots and upgrade, you've already got and you can only use one of anyway. And the same goes for the damage deck. You can only use one of those as well.

My advice: get an original core while they're still available and add to the options you have now.