Sign in to follow this  
f0rbiddenc00kie

What are the LEAST fun ships to play against?

Title says it all.  What are the LEAST fun ships to play against?

(It seems unanimous around these forums that TLT carriers and fat turrets are very dull)

I ask because my brothers and I share our minis, and we have been eyeing buying a single copy of the Aggressor.  I was wondering if that is too oppressive a ship for a casual setting.  We don't suck, but we like to self-regulate things and keep the game fun.

Aggressor is fine.

Its usually things that break core rules in some way. And then someone spams the hell out it if possible. PWTs and massed TLTs get tiresome. I'd probably add control to that list too if you aren't built to mitigate it. And of course soontir fel. Anything gets old eventually. 

Don't worry about it too much, I'd say. The only slight caveat would be the big turret ships, as they change the game a bit (less dodging, les emphasis on maneuver). Even then, buying the falcon can be really fun, as long as you proxy cards like autothrusters. Above all, listen to your long-term opponent. If they're being put off by some ship, combo or mechanic, calm it down a bit, because ships come and go, but friends who love to play x-wing with you are worth their weight in imperial credits.

Basically just big primary weapon turrets. They turn the game into a dicefest, as the opponent simply cannot avoid them no matter how well he flies.

Everything else is subject to personal disapproval. Imo TLTs are aokay because Ys are low PS without boost/roll, so TLTs min range is very possible to exploit

Personally, I feel that control is a necessary part of the game, especially after playing games like MMORPG's and MOBA's, I understand the importance of "crowd control" to keep big threats in check. However, I do feel that the "stress-bot" is pushing it simply due to the potential abuse.

I'm glad to hear that no one seems to have a problem with the Aggressor!

What do you guys feel about playing against Ghosts?  They don't have the same turtle power as the Millennium Falcon, and although you can do a double turret attack it requires quite a hefty point investment and the ship still has a good incentive to get people in its forward firing arc.  Is that enough to not make it feel like a pure fat turret platform?

Edited by f0rbiddenc00kie

I feel ghost has to be released, first

Since it's not a PWT, though, it'll never be as much of a negative play experience as the Yt1300 or VT49

And hey, anyone who hates the stress bot will LOVE Ezra + Hera + FCS onntheir ghost (or if you like fat 4 dice defenders with 5ks instead of 4ks)

i betcha Ghost will be really not fun to play against.  I'll betcha.  

Aggressor, esepcially as a single copy isn't going to trod on anyone.  

TLT and turret are a pain.  

And usually large ships.  But aggressors can be beaten.  

Edited by Blail Blerg

Imo TLTs are aokay because Ys are low PS without boost/roll, so TLTs min range is very possible to exploit

One of them, certainly. More than one?
Still possible, unlike with a PWT where it is utterly and completely impossible without losing or shot or hoping they run aground

Against multiple, it's the same as anything. Control range and concentrate fire. In the late game you can ruthlessly exploit their minimum range with even something as basic as a tie fighter

Edited by ficklegreendice

I'm a fairly new player (rebel) with a tournament coming up, talk here about Y's with TLT, I've been told to expect multiple K's with TLT and Tie Phantoms. Not dealt with either, I'm told the way to stop a Phantom is stress but although I don't want to bomb out in first round I don't expect to come in top 10 and want to have fun.

Thinking on 2 x T65's with astromech and good pilots, plus 2 Z95's with nasty missiles.

Reading here I'm wondering if I should use Chewie in Falcon with 3 Z's with Ion pulse or flechette missile/torps. Or will the Falcon make me unpopular?

In my opinion as long as you know how to fly against all the ships none of them are too annoying. PWTs die to large focus fire and they can only fire once (normally). Jousters? Arc dodge em. Arc dodgers...block them. Just fly smart and anything is beatable. The only thing i find the most annoying is regen (looking at you artoo).

Just don't play these lists and you'll be fine:

Poe, VI, R5-P9, Shield Upgrade.

Miranda Doni, Twin Laser Turret.

Gold Squadron Pilot, BTL-A4, R3-A2, Twin Laser Turret.

(My list)

Rear Admiral Chiraneau, Expose, Agent Kallus.

Captain Oicunn, Expose, Dauntless.

(My friend's list)

Ask anyone who has played against me lately and they would probably say a-wings. Focus and evade. They attack with a blaster turret and get 3 hits but after the evade token and AT's kick in is still only the one damage. By the end of the game they were pretty frustrated (and the a-wings survived)