Sign in to follow this  
Boba Rick

What's the Biggest Game You've Ever Played?

So far the largest game we have played that I can recall has been a 34 ship battle between 4 players, I don't remember the total points. 24 TIE Fighters and 2 Decimators versus 6 Z-95s, a Y-Wing and a YT-2400. It was a slow, long game at first that turned into a total slaughter for the poor rebels.

We are currently in the planning process of setting up a 4500 pt battle. 3000pt Imperials versus 1500pts Rebels. 3 players most likely over the course of a week or so. 80 ships split into 2 Raiders, 3 CR90s, way too many various TIEs and a decent handful of X-Wings and Z-95s. I think it breaks down to 54 Imperials and 26 Rebels. It should be (hopefully) a fun bloodbath of craziness. The only issue is whether to use a 6'x6' field or a 6'x9' and when to find all the time to work it out.

I have had a bad urge to play an unlimited points game, where players put all their flyable ships on the board with whatever upgrades they want to run on them. Aside from that, I think the largest game in terms of players I've run was a 2v2 team game with all 4 players running 100 point squads, That was I think my second or third time playing, but since then I've done a couple 300 point epic games, both of which came down to the Huge Ships duking it out until one exploded. The first game was before the Raider came out so it was Rebels + CR90 vs Imps + CR90, and the second was post Raider with the Raider and CR90 pounding each other into dust. They were long games, but crazy fun.

700+ vs 700+, about 18 ships per side, many of them aces, with lots of upgrades/ordnance, etc...  An unplayable mess.  X-wing is a good game and Epic is even better but too much of a good thing is still too much.  Played about 5 hours and no where near conclusion, had to clean up he game before it truly ended.

My experience has shown that about 400 pts is about all I'd want for a 4 hour game with relatively inexperienced players.  For more experienced players, you could add more points.  About 1 hour per 100pts/side... ish.

Biggest I have played would be 600 vs 600, three players a side with 200 points each. None of us has any huge ships at the time but there were definitely lots of ships that were fully loaded. It was a ton of fun but pretty much became two separate games. And then one of the players bailed right when things started getting intense because he had a "date". what a sucker!!!

1.  We played a game with 300 points per player, 6 players.  It went really well.

2.  During that game, I had 13 ships (6 TIE Bombers, 6 TIE Fighters, and 1 TIE Defender).  Because I was flying in formation as much as I could, it wasn't that hard to control 13 ships.

Just seeing the title of this article made me excited. I love playing X-Wing outside of the dogfight battles.

The biggest game I played was amazing! Three players, one for each faction. We played on 3x3 mats, put together in an "L" format. The story: an imperial factory had produced a new prototype of a tie phantom, and it was incredibly strong. The rebels saw this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to strike. The rebels had to use a YT-1300 (flown by Han) to capture the prototype and escape in a hyperspace port. Meanwhile, Kath Scarlet and some Black sun soilders were tasked to intercept a Lambda shuttle carrying special equipment. And on top of that, Boba and IG-88B had to get right in the mess and capture Han Solo.

It was a blast! Imperials had 450 points, rebels 300, and scum had 100 for Kath and 150 for Boba and IG. The hyperscace ports were neat elements in the game. Both scum and rebels rolled dice to find which hyper space port that they must come in (there were 6)

The end was fantastic! Imperials did lose the prototype, but managed to capture Han (through a deal that was made). Scum brutally failed both missions. Also, imperials got to keep the special equipment, and use it the next big game we will maybe have (still following the same storyline) it was a blast!

My group tried a 3 way team epic with 2 players of 200 points each per faction (400 points per team, 3 teams). As with a few reports above, it was a bit much, took more time than we had (and we had about 6 hours), and had to be packed up with a lot of ships still on the board and no clear winner (although rebels were clearly losing).

It didn't help that one of the scum players took 4 damage at range 5 in the first combat and decided to run away. Hardly made it back into combat before the end.

800 vs 800, no Huges. Played in two sesions, 3 vs 3. Awesome look, 9 x 5 play area. But too many ships, too many... 24 basic Tie on the table, so many ships... I love Epic but 500 pts limit, 6 players involved, is the max in my game group.

See all I am seeing, is a lot of large games not going to completion due to time. I feel 300 for 1v1 and 200 per person for a 2v2 is more then enough. As others have stated sometimes more of a good thing isn't always better. Saw a report of 1500 vs 1500, they didn't even get to round 3 in 6 hours and had to break down. At that point it's no longer a game, but a diorama.

Urban Cannibal from these boards and I did the 'battle of endor' once with tons of ships.

I think it might have been close to 800 points each.

DSCF8936_zpsqlinbhpr.jpg

DSCF8948_zpso6em6fcx.jpg

DSCF8950_zpslgqkkynt.jpg

DSCF8946_zps2lskw2sj.jpg

DSCF8943_zpsujhy5oum.jpg

The size of the game was limited by the restriciton we set that only pilots who were alive at the battle of endor could be used and also that only OT ships could be used.

My only epic game so far.

3x6 mat. 250 points for small and large based ships in total + 150 Points for huge ships, both per side...! Played Babganooshs mission, in which both sides' capital ships engage each other to destroy the opposing corvette.

Lost terribly, since my list was inferior, me a bit to timid and a horrible deployment mistake where I placed my Raider to close to the edge, which resulted in me not being able to make banks without its poop deck going over the board edge.

Still fun though.

Ooooo.....  and as someone who likes theme, that sounds awesome.  Big fight, and then the scumbags show up to acquire some ill-gotten goods and quickly absquatulate.

I just learned my word for the day. You should post a PayPal link and accept donations for that $5 word.

When I started playing I looked for a FLGS and found one nearby. I drove there and they were literally loading up the van with the last of their stuff as they were going out of business. What originnally drew my attention were some pictures on their facebook page. They had created ships, bases, templates etc. on a larger scale and were playing in their parking lot. From the scale of the pictures the bases looked to be about 12-16" square with models to match.

I have been unable to find those pictures since they closed but that was probably the 'biggest' X Wing game I ever saw.

When I started playing I looked for a FLGS and found one nearby. I drove there and they were literally loading up the van with the last of their stuff as they were going out of business. What originnally drew my attention were some pictures on their facebook page. They had created ships, bases, templates etc. on a larger scale and were playing in their parking lot. From the scale of the pictures the bases looked to be about 12-16" square with models to match.

I have been unable to find those pictures since they closed but that was probably the 'biggest' X Wing game I ever saw.

I

I've considered making big templates to play the game with lego star wars ships so you can physically remove damaged parts of the ship mid game :)