Sign in to follow this  
Niluk84

Celebrities who play X-wing?

Does this count?  Phil Reed is the CEO at Steve Jackson Games.

This is from their regular email magazine.  Well he's kind of a celebrity if you play Ogre, Munchkins or a ton of other SJgames.

SJ Games Daily Illuminator for January 2, 2016

Pew! Pew! Pew!

Fantasy Flight Games' X-Wing Miniatures Game is the best starship combat game of the decade. The game started strong, and now after a few years of miniature releases I can say that it's far deeper and more fun than I had expected when the game was first announced. The pre-painted plastic minis are incredible, and the fact that they've released such oddities as the TIE Defender and IG-2000 just shows how far they're willing to go with the game.

I've now introduced the game to my wife -- who happens to love TIE Fighters even more than I do -- and we're both enjoying the quality of the minis and how easy it is to maneuver and attack in the game. I enjoyed the game the first time I played it back in 2012, but revisiting the game over the last month and seeing all of the amazing starship miniatures makes me appreciate the X-Wing Miniatures Game more now than I ever have before.

If you need me, I'll be busy again trying to defeat my wife and her TIE Punisher. That thing is nasty!

-- Phil Reed

[Edit] P.S. I love Ogre and am the proud owner if the KickStarter version of Ogre Designer's Edition  :D   Who wants to play?

Edited by Ken at Sunrise

Vanessa Marshall, the voice of Hera on Rebels, has several X-wing ships and has played at least a few times. She talked about it on the old Sabbacc Table podcast awhile back. I wonder if she knows the Ghost is coming out with three different ways to use Hera...

The only celebrity I can say for certain played games was that Robin Williams played (or collected) Warhammer.  And the only way I can say that for certain is I have actually seen pictures someone took with him inside a GW store.  Beyond that, I think it is all hearsay.

I know someone who played against him - apparently he played Eldar, and was really entertaining to play against - he'd do voices, and the like.

Talk about a game you would never forget...

Not playing X-wing but still kinda cool...

Peter Cushing playing war games!

HA!!  I want to see this redone as Grand Moff Tarkin painting toy stormtroopers in his office on the Death Star. :P

And remember you Imperial pilots, Fly Solemnly and Conscientiously.  Leave that casual crap to the Rebels.

Edited by Darth Meanie

This is from their regular email magazine.  Well he's kind of a celebrity if you play Ogre, Munchkins or a ton of other SJgames.

Pew! Pew! Pew!

Fantasy Flight Games' X-Wing Miniatures Game is the best starship combat game of the decade. The game started strong, and now after a few years of miniature releases I can say that it's far deeper and more fun than I had expected when the game was first announced. The pre-painted plastic minis are incredible, and the fact that they've released such oddities as the TIE Defender and IG-2000 just shows how far they're willing to go with the game.

I've now introduced the game to my wife -- who happens to love TIE Fighters even more than I do -- and we're both enjoying the quality of the minis and how easy it is to maneuver and attack in the game. I enjoyed the game the first time I played it back in 2012, but revisiting the game over the last month and seeing all of the amazing starship miniatures makes me appreciate the X-Wing Miniatures Game more now than I ever have before.

If you need me, I'll be busy again trying to defeat my wife and her TIE Punisher. That thing is nasty!

-- Phil Reed

[Edit] P.S. I love Ogre and am the proud owner if the KickStarter version of Ogre Designer's Edition  :D   Who wants to play?

I am huge Steve Jackson fan.  I only know Phil from his discussions on the SJG Forum.  I am a long time Car Wars player as well.  I think he has taken inspiration from X-Wing for his next game because Car Wars 6E which will have a Kickstarter in 2017 (it was delayed from October 2016) will be like X-Wing with cars.  It will have HO scale miniatures (cars/trucks/motorcycles etc.) and will have similar maneuver, range rulers as well as damage and ability cards and it you are playing basically cars with guns warfare on the table.  I can't wait for the KS.   Check out the official website and the Car Wars 6E thread to read more.  I am not the only one who has seen the similarity to X-Wing.

Edited by TurboCooler

Pew! Pew! Pew!

-- Phil Reed

I am huge Steve Jackson fan.  I only know Phil from his discussions on the SJG Forum.  I am a long time Car Wars player as well.  I think he has taken inspiration from X-Wing for his next game because Car Wars 6E which will have a Kickstarter in 2017 (it was delayed from October 2016) will be like X-Wing with cars.  It will have HO scale miniatures (cars/trucks/motorcycles etc.) and will have similar maneuver, range rulers as well as damage and ability cards and it you are playing basically cars with guns warfare on the table.  I can't wait for the KS.   Check out the official website and the Car Wars 6E thread to read more.  I am not the only one who has seen the similarity to X-Wing.

Me, too.  Besides X-Wing, I am currently GMing a SW campaign set in the final months of the Clone Wars (although the PCs don't know it).  Can't wait to spring Order 66 on the party  (Bwwweehhhh Heh Heh!!!)

Pew! Pew! Pew!

-- Phil Reed

I am huge Steve Jackson fan.  I only know Phil from his discussions on the SJG Forum.  I am a long time Car Wars player as well.  I think he has taken inspiration from X-Wing for his next game because Car Wars 6E which will have a Kickstarter in 2017 (it was delayed from October 2016) will be like X-Wing with cars.  It will have HO scale miniatures (cars/trucks/motorcycles etc.) and will have similar maneuver, range rulers as well as damage and ability cards and it you are playing basically cars with guns warfare on the table.  I can't wait for the KS.   Check out the official website and the Car Wars 6E thread to read more.  I am not the only one who has seen onthe similarity to X-Wing.

I'll check it out.

It does seem a good match, I remember after Fury Road came out I kinda toyed with turning xwing into Mad Max game. Seemed a very good fit.

Way to dig up a year old thread....

AND MAKE IT TOTALLY AWESOME AGAIN!!!

Seriously I have nothing to contribute to this thread. I'm not famous at all. In fact I'll probably disappear from here in about 3 months and you will forget I was even here. And I'm exactly that way IRL.

Pew! Pew! Pew!

-- Phil Reed

Many a Saturday afternoon was spent with me and my friend playing Car Wars and Crash City from the old plastic boxes. Ogre and GEV too.

Pew! Pew! Pew!

-- Phil Reed

Many a Saturday afternoon was spent with me and my friend playing Car Wars and Crash City from the old plastic boxes. Ogre and GEV too.

Yep, Car Wars, Crash City, Ogre and GEV all standards and favorites. We started with small Ogre games and ended up playing an all day game on a 4 map GEV with forces all over defending the map. I love my Ogre 6DE version. See! Middle age sets in even for the designer and we get a bigger easier to read version. Luck us me! Whoo Hoo!!!

Pew! Pew! Pew!

-- Phil Reed

I started following that news in the last 6 months too. Heard about it... I was actually toying with coming up with the idea myself having loved all my years spent playing Car Wars. And as I was searching for models of cars online I came to find out there was no need for me to spend time inventing something that SJG was already working on.

It's probably the ONLY mini's game that will take me away from Xwing (although never all the way). K-turn is just a fancy bootlegger reverse.