Sign in to follow this  
heychadwick

SNOW!!!

As a kid I lived in NY and loved the snow. I moved to North Carolina before I became an adult. We MAYBE get snow once every 2 years. Rarely more than an inch. When it does happen, the city shuts down.

There should be snow mixed with rain this weekend. I was checking on the status of that and saw it was to snow tonight? 1-3 inches?!? I get out of work and its really snowing!!!!!!

So happy....

I lived in Houston for about 8 months as a kid and it snowed once. Yeah, the ENTIRE city shut down for what could be called a bad case of dandruf. I was going outside in a short sleeved shirt watching other kids "try" to make snowballs and wondering what all the fuss was about.

Then, when i first went away to university. the very first snowfall you could so totally tell the people who came from the south from those from the north. the one group was all "WOW, LOOK!!! Snow!!! Lts make a snowman and have snowball fights!!!!" the other group was "%^@%^@^%^ snow!!!! I don't want to drive in this!!!!!". And you didn't DARE go near the roads as a pedestrian, because all of that first group had NO idea how to drive in real snow.

I lived in Houston for about 8 months as a kid and it snowed once. Yeah, the ENTIRE city shut down for what could be called a bad case of dandruf. I was going outside in a short sleeved shirt watching other kids "try" to make snowballs and wondering what all the fuss was about.

Then, when i first went away to university. the very first snowfall you could so totally tell the people who came from the south from those from the north. the one group was all "WOW, LOOK!!! Snow!!! Lts make a snowman and have snowball fights!!!!" the other group was "%^@%^@^%^ snow!!!! I don't want to drive in this!!!!!". And you didn't DARE go near the roads as a pedestrian, because all of that first group had NO idea how to drive in real snow.

I went to school in the midwest, and saw this a lot, even though we didn't get that much snow.  More so, spring storms would roll in and the students from far away would see a tornado warning and freak out and go to the basement, and all the localish kids would go out on the dorm balcony and watch the storm come in.  

Plenty of cold but not much snow over here in little ol' Belgium... (Bloody El Niño)

Always reminds me of a flemish song (" 't sniewjet" van Krapoel in Axe) with the hilarious line:

"It snows... It snows... never ever! Stick your head in the refridgerator!"

OK....it lasted for an hour and didn't really stick to anything.  Oh, well.  

This weekend we are either going to get 1-3" of snow.....or sleet and frozen rain.  Everywhere else is going to be going on about all the snow they are getting and I'll probably get frozen rain.

In NC, there are A LOT of transplants from elsewhere.  It's funny to talk to different people.  All the "yankees" talk about how Southerners try to drive on snowy/icy roads and have no idea what to do.  They cause accidents.  Then, you talk to the Southerners who say all the "yankees" might be able to drive on snow, but we get "black ice", or ice as soon as it turns dark to freeze up and make roads look normal, but be very dangerous.  That these Northerners try to drive like snow, but cause accidents.  As someone in between, I see both sides do some pretty stupid stuff...

spring storms would roll in and the students from far away would see a tornado warning and freak out and go to the basement, and all the localish kids would go out on the dorm balcony and watch the storm come in.

Got a story for that too. I was at a fine store while a magic the gathering tournament was going on in the basement when we got word that a tornado had touched down about 2 miles north. The ENTIRE tournament took a break to run upstairs, out of the basement, and go out side to look for it.

spring storms would roll in and the students from far away would see a tornado warning and freak out and go to the basement, and all the localish kids would go out on the dorm balcony and watch the storm come in.

Got a story for that too. I was at a fine store while a magic the gathering tournament was going on in the basement when we got word that a tornado had touched down about 2 miles north. The ENTIRE tournament took a break to run upstairs, out of the basement, and go out side to look for it.

tumblr_mcpmhdHfAr1rtuw6eo1_250.gif

Down here in Missouri, we're only getting enough to piss everyone off. Enough so the roads turn to crap, but not enough to cancel classes/build forts out of

In St. Louis we got about 3 inches. A bunch of schools lamely closed. The roads were not bad. What part of the state are you in?

Down here in Missouri, we're only getting enough to piss everyone off. Enough so the roads turn to crap, but not enough to cancel classes/build forts out of

In St. Louis we got about 3 inches. A bunch of schools lamely closed. The roads were not bad. What part of the state are you in?

West half. 3 inches isn't horrible, really. Looks like you guys got the worst of it.

I'm uncertain if we will get any snow this weekend.  I'm so disappointed.  Well, we might get snow, and then have it turn to rain after it gets nice.  It's supposed to snow Saturday night, but then it's going to get up to 44 F on Sunday.  Even if it does snow, it won't last.  ****, I miss snow.

In New York, I lived in a small town in the Hudson River Valley.  I lived on the top of a really big hill.  Well, not on the tippy top, but the one right below.  Our yard was the best sledding yard in the whole neighborhood.  People from all over would come and sled on it.  It was the most fun.  I wish my kids could experience that sometime. 

I will say that we get almost everything here in NC.  We get hurricanes, tornados, heat waves, and even an earthquake.  I've seen schools close for snow, freezing rain, too hot, too windy, and I'm still waiting for too cloudy. 

Every year I see someone, family of friends in the UK posting about snow. I reply "b**ch please", and show them a pic of the mountains of heaped snow 10 foot high in places outside my office. In the city, this isn't even rural. There have been times my walking to work and writing about it has read like an expedition to the Andes.

Edited by DariusAPB