Sign in to follow this  
Desslok

The Lead By Example countdown thread

Hey! My paws aren't grubby! I wash them routinely!

But to answer your question, no. I'm actually quite surprised that someone got it a week earlier than the announcement that it's actually available.

I'd like to know how, but I think asking may get some people into trouble...

Yeah it is out. I was on the fence about it. I like leading big battles, but most adventures are small scale with players, so would a leader of troops have much to do on a group mission. Where I buy my games at guessed 2/4 for having it. I called about it and was told they had one left. With the usual self control gamers have, I said I would take it and ship it to me. 

The instructor has a couple of new talents, one lets them help another character do better on at something they just failed at, another, called That's How it's Done lets them grant a bonus to anyone performing the same type of check as their next action. Other than that, some Bodyguard, some Stimpack Specialization, and one of the leadership talents, Field Commander (IIRC). They are an interesting mix of healer/support abilities.

Mass Combat is now like 5 pages, split in phases. Each phase is a roll. Each roll is influenced by most of the same things, such as army sizes, equipment (great condition or lacking), morale, and other stuff. They added a thing called Turning Points which can be used to decisively swing the battle one way or the other (like a strike team killing the enemy commander). The Strategist spec is heavily invested in Mass Combat, and as such, many of their talents directly relate only to MC. Figureheads get talents to change the roll for MC to either Cool or Discipline (IIRC) instead of Leadership. So, you can play a cool Commander. There are some decent guidelines on how to fit your PCs into a MC, either as the leaders of it or a team within it. The latter gives a good example of how the results of each phase will change things around the PCs, and how they can influence the rolls for the phases.

The first signature ability is kind of uninspiring, unless you're using it in MC. It's like a big mechanical crunchy way of using Leadership in normal narrative. "You guys, do this." "But we don't want to." *rolls leadership* "Do it NOW!" "Yessir!"

Unmatched Authority is used to downgrade the difficulty of allies' checks as an out-of-turn incidental at the cost of 2 strain (to the commander) while it's active. Upgrades lower the strain cost to 1, increase duration to a total of 5 rounds, reduce destiny point cost to 1, and allow the chance to remove a setback or reduce the difficulty instead of downgrading the difficulty. I think it's the more useful of the two.

Sadly there are no new weapons or combat armors. A couple new pieces of gear, including a holoprojector to make yourself look Holonet Good all the time, for an upgrade to Charm, Deception and Leadership checks. Some military uniforms, a ribbon rack (this has no rules, just listed to give it a price, I guess). Oh, base weapons (think turret emplacements, not people guns); there are two, one for anti-vehicle and one for anti-infantry. One of them is for sure one of the emplacements we see at the Echo Base (the tower looking turret one). I'm pretty sure the other is the dish-laser cannon. Both have inaccurate 2, but other than that are moderately effective at doing their jobs. A new Tactician Droid, in case you really, really have no one who can roll a Mass Combat check. A really fast airspeeder, a couple of command landspeeders, and the AT-FRC (think upgraded AT-PT with a stealth system) round out the planetary stuff. For starships, you get the Munificent, which is actually not all that bad of a silhouette 7 cruiser. The forward guns are heavy turbos, and long-barreled battleship ion cannons (range long vs medium). Then you get the Survey Frigate, which is describe as yet another silhouette 6 baby star destroyer. It does have decent weapons, space for 12 fighters, powerful sensors (basically an advanced targeting array IIRC) and a stealth system. Then the MC-80A Home One class of awesome. And Assertor Star Dreadnoughts. And Maelstrom Battlecruisers. They've introduced a new vehicle quality (I can't remember if Liberty had it in SoR) called Inspiring Presence, which adds a number of boost dice to fear checks equal to the rating. MC-80a's and Assertors have IP-3, the Maelstrom has IP-2.

A kind of disappointment for me was the Medals and Awards. They're listed, as well as what the rebels do to earn them, but no mechanical benefits are spelled out. There are simply suggestions.

But no starfighters for Squadron Leaders, and no weapons or armor for Tacticians.

Edited by Werewyvernx

Like...they have the book in stock but aren't' putting it out for sale? I'd notify FFG about that.

Unlike releasing before a street date, FFG can't do anything about a store that wants to delay release (or not carry the product at all). The store is only hurting itself.

I am effing livid right now. Last night, I called ahead to my FLGS and asked if they had Lead by Example. The guy on the phone said yes. Based on the layout of the store I assumed he could see them which is why he answered so quickly. I discover, upon arrival, that there are no such books in the store. I ask the guy behind the gaming counter if they have any and mention that I had called ahead. Turns out this guy unpacked 3 copies the previous night and assumed they had not sold out. He didn't check when I called. I assume this was because he was either lazy or incompetent. The store wasn't busy, so that wasn't an excuse. I lost 45 minutes both ways due to the bus routes and rush hour.

To be fair, I should have made him check or asked to have one set aside for me. I'm just venting right now. Regardless, I am now going to be patronizing a different franchise in the future.

Can someone tell me the Chagrian stats? Just to hold me over until I can find a copy in my city.

The mass combat rules seems to be interesting. Read through it once already and will do so agrain. Really seems to bring the leadership skill to the for front. Even a rank or two in leadership can help turn the tide.

Can someone tell me the Chagrian stats? Just to hold me over until I can find a copy in my city.

Hmmm chargrian. yes yes. they are alright. main willpower, low agility. 11 brawn, 10 strain. resilience trained. amphibious. and one rank in knowledge specialization. 90xp

Edited by Majeh

Hmmm chargrian. yes yes. they are alright. main willpower, low agility. 11 brawn, 10 strain. resilience trained. amphibious. and one rank in knowledge specialization. 90xp

Could you post the whole stats and additional perks? your short description isn't that easy to understand.

Could you post the whole stats and additional perks? your short description isn't that easy to understand.

If I had to guess, Willpower is 3, Agility is 1, wounds is 11 + Brawn, strain is 10 + willpower, 1 rank of Resilience, Amphibious, and one rank of Knowledge Specialization.

If I had to guess, Willpower is 3, Agility is 1, wounds is 11 + Brawn, strain is 10 + willpower, 1 rank of Resilience, Amphibious, and one rank of Knowledge Specialization.

wasn't sure if their was a rule against posting stats. but here: 2,1,2,2,3,2. Wound 11+brawn, strain 10+willpower, 90 xp, 1 rank of resilience, Amphibious, 1 rank in talent Knowledge specialization.