Sign in to follow this  
Plainsman

Future XWingers...i.e. how many kids do you have?

Three children, daughter of 25 who isn't really into miniatures games involving pewpew noises but two sons, 27 and 19 who I travel around in the uk with to play events. Great times together and very much appreciate how lucky I am to be able to spend this time with them.

Edited by kharas1

Two boys. 5 yes and 10 months. Both of them are Star Wars fanatics, like their dad.(as much as a 10 month old can be - he swings his brother's lightsaber toy around and makes noises) The 5 yr old has been hooked on SW since birth and loves to go with me to the "Xwing store" (gaming store) We are actually going today to play a game. I used Xwing to help teach him his numbers and he likes picking maneuvers and rolling dice. He doesn't have a knack for tactics yet, but he'll get there.

4 boys and 2 girls.

My oldest son (10) has placed 3rd and 4th in the last two FLGS tournaments we've attended, whilst I have finished 9th and 14th. Sigh.  I am currently 4 - 12 in our last 16 games against each other. 

My 8 year old daughter likes to fly "Rey" (ORS with PS 9, Falcon title, Chewbacca and Luke crew, totally (and I do mean totally) random EPT, and EU) and likes the game. We tried to make the gunner card be "Finn" but since Finn's not a wookie...

My 6 y/o daughter loves to fly Red Ace (Comm Relay, R2D2, and Torpedoes). She's actually good at setting her maneuver dial to appropriate moves most of the time, and she loves to Talon Roll. 

My 4 y/o son loves Poe (BB8, Free Weapons Guidance useage w/o spending focus, and Predator). He loves to be a "predator" although he also likes to be an "alone wuff". 

They love to "concentrate" for their actions, although the 6y/o target locks more than the other two. They love it when they get "worry tokens" as green moves get to make the pilot happy again.  :rolleyes: They like to go "super fast" (boost). 

It's fun, if chaotic and it's definitely not causal if I send more than 1 bad guy after any of them. I usually fly imperial and because in the movies they lose, I "have to lose too". My dice often ensure that happens regardless of the outcome I desire. They don't consider ESB in the argument because they fought in the snow and I don't have a snow playmat. 

The 4 of us even play using Furball rules sometimes, although the name gives them such a confused look on their faces. 

"alone wuff"... "concentrate" ... "worry tokens" as green moves get to make the pilot happy again.  :rolleyes: They like to go "super fast" (boost). 

That is too awesome.

My daughter (almost 5) loves playing with me -- we use the Star Wars Command figures & fighters, roll some dice.  I started off having her count successes, compare results, add/subtract, etc.  She's into Star Wars, but mostly because daddy is.  She does love BB-8, though.  For Christmas I bought her a First Order stormtrooper helmet (mask) and painted it pink.  She loved it.

And I got to take her to TFA.  "Like my father before me" and all that.  So, so cool.  Such an incredible thing to be able to pass this on to my little one.

Edited by jme

"alone wuff"... "concentrate" ... "worry tokens" as green moves get to make the pilot happy again.  :rolleyes: They like to go "super fast" (boost). 

That is too awesome.

My daughter (almost 5) loves playing with me -- we use the Star Wars Command figures & fighters, roll some dice.  I started off having her count successes, compare results, add/subtract, etc.  She's into Star Wars, but mostly because daddy is.  She does love BB-8, though.  For Christmas I bought her a First Order stormtrooper helmet (mask) and painted it pink.  She loved it.

And I got to take her to TFA.  "Like my father before me" and all that.  So, so cool.  Such an incredible thing to be able to pass this on to my little one.

^ This. My 8 y/o loved the movie, has seen it three times, and wants to see it again with my mom and dad. Fun stuff.

As I said in yesterday's thread on the topic:

The main reason to get into the game was to play with my sons. They now ask to play every single day, they get what they want 4-5 times a week. My boss' boss did not help their addiction by giving them each a ship for Christmas (to compensate for his wife refusing that he play).

The 6 year old grasps all the basic concepts, and quite a few of the upgrade cards and pilot abilities. His luck with dice is beyond horrible and he's as intense with his ship movements as in life, often way overshooting his intended target. The K-Wing he got fits with how he plays, the turret compensate for overly enthusiastic movements.

The almost 4 year old has innate strategic abilities, but his interest wanes after 30-40 minutes (which is still impressive). He's very, very good at positioning and anticipating movements. Again, this reflects his calmer, more methodical approach to life in general. I have learned not to hand him the Punisher he got for Christmas fully-loaded with mines and bombs, it hurts.

The 2 year old gets to touch the dice. That is, we run after him to get them back. He wants to play so much, but there's no way he could get the game for quite a while yet, he's more like boy #1. I am not allowed to use "his" HWK to play, only my own, he checks and clearly indicates that one of those is his (by divine right, from the way he's telling it).

They love the game so much that they've made up their own version with Hot Wheels Star Wars ships, flat LEGO pieces (and hinged blocks for banks), and regular 6 sided dice. My wife tells me they spend most of their free time while I'm at work playing that game. Hearing them play is very gratifying, especially when they start discussing the interplay of their various abilities.

We've also got two large black dogs, but they don't get to touch the cool toys.

I'm taking the oldest to this weekend's winter kit tournament, and bringing plenty to keep him busy if his interest wanes during the day. I'm debating between letting him take part by rolling my dice for me and actually wanting some hits and evades on those dice. Blanking out 3-4 dices is so very common with him, no matter how he throws them. 

One daughter 33. She plays, her boyfriend plays, my wife plays. I am really lucky to have my own gaming group. I built her two gaming tables so I do not have to throw mine in the truck when we go to her place for Sunday dinner and X-Wing.

I have two daughters, 5 and almost 1, the eldest is already a huge Star wars fan, (it was a proud day at Disneyworld last year when she got her first lightsaber!) but they're sadly a little young to start on x-wing just yet. Looking forward to the day that they're both able to take part!

We do have a cat but he cheats so I don't like playing against him.

See new policy on reporting cats https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/spolicy/  ;)

I have three kids (and two cats)  - 18, 11, and 7.  The older two are girls with no interest.  The 7 year old is pretty excited about playing, really likes big ships.  He can play ok, but has a pretty poor longer strategic outlook (as one might expect with a 7 yr old) 

4 boys and 2 girls.

My oldest son (10) has placed 3rd and 4th in the last two FLGS tournaments we've attended, whilst I have finished 9th and 14th. Sigh.  I am currently 4 - 12 in our last 16 games against each other. 

My 8 year old daughter likes to fly "Rey" (ORS with PS 9, Falcon title, Chewbacca and Luke crew, totally (and I do mean totally) random EPT, and EU) and likes the game. We tried to make the gunner card be "Finn" but since Finn's not a wookie...

My 6 y/o daughter loves to fly Red Ace (Comm Relay, R2D2, and Torpedoes). She's actually good at setting her maneuver dial to appropriate moves most of the time, and she loves to Talon Roll. 

My 4 y/o son loves Poe (BB8, Free Weapons Guidance useage w/o spending focus, and Predator). He loves to be a "predator" although he also likes to be an "alone wuff". 

They love to "concentrate" for their actions, although the 6y/o target locks more than the other two. They love it when they get "worry tokens" as green moves get to make the pilot happy again.  :rolleyes: They like to go "super fast" (boost). 

It's fun, if chaotic and it's definitely not causal if I send more than 1 bad guy after any of them. I usually fly imperial and because in the movies they lose, I "have to lose too". My dice often ensure that happens regardless of the outcome I desire. They don't consider ESB in the argument because they fought in the snow and I don't have a snow playmat.

:)  That made my day

Actually it's the oldest ones fault that I am stuck with the game. Due to family and work taking time, my better half and I seldomly get around to play Man'o'War (GW Fantasy ship battles).

pic928452_md.jpg

I introduced the oldest son (now 9) to that game. But some day he showed up with a Star Destroyer he had made with putty, and wanted it to be included in his sail fleet :o

Some week later I saw the core set at less than 60% of the normal price, so I bought it. (Now I have too many ships....)

My better half likes sailships more than spaceships, so we keep to that one and boardgames.

But with the oldest and the next son (6) I play X-wing. Oldest likes to field Rebel aces (mostly Wedge and Ten), we do both all-out-battles, but also scenario play. The latter more like roleplay, he has 3 cadettes, in a far away mining sector riddled with Empire forces and pirates, and crossed by a supply line. They fly as squad in Z95s which the rebellion took from pirates. Still under training, led by Cracken (with Squad Leader), they are hoping to graduate soon, and that Rebel High command might send some real X-wings to their sector. I play the opposing forces, trying to keep it challenging without killing off the cadettes.

The younger one flies occasionally in the all-outs, taking Luke with R2D2. Makes often surprise maneuvers. Game should not take too long (concentration issue).

Next one (4) likes to watch and comments everything all the time.

Youngest (2) fascinated by the ships.

3 sons...  All of them have enjoyed playing wargames most of their lives, including X-wing (though that is not their favorite).

Eldest is 22 and away to college but has played in a few X-wing tournaments.

Middle is almost 18 and too busy with other stuff to do much gaming.

Youngest is 11, won a Wings of War tournament when he was 7.  He and I have a X-wing Team Epic challenge this Friday.

4 boys and 2 girls.

:)  That made my day

Actually it's the oldest ones fault that I am stuck with the game. Due to family and work taking time, my better half and I seldomly get around to play Man'o'War (GW Fantasy ship battles).

pic928452_md.jpg

I introduced the oldest son (now 9) to that game. But some day he showed up with a Star Destroyer he had made with putty, and wanted it to be included in his sail fleet :o

Some week later I saw the core set at less than 60% of the normal price, so I bought it. (Now I have too many ships....)

My better half likes sailships more than spaceships, so we keep to that one and boardgames.

But with the oldest and the next son (6) I play X-wing. Oldest likes to field Rebel aces (mostly Wedge and Ten), we do both all-out-battles, but also scenario play. The latter more like roleplay, he has 3 cadettes, in a far away mining sector riddled with Empire forces and pirates, and crossed by a supply line. They fly as squad in Z95s which the rebellion took from pirates. Still under training, led by Cracken (with Squad Leader), they are hoping to graduate soon, and that Rebel High command might send some real X-wings to their sector. I play the opposing forces, trying to keep it challenging without killing off the cadettes.

The younger one flies occasionally in the all-outs, taking Luke with R2D2. Makes often surprise maneuvers. Game should not take too long (concentration issue).

Next one (4) likes to watch and comments everything all the time.

Youngest (2) fascinated by the ships.

We like to play scenarios as well. Very cool. 

I've got a son who's 3.  He loves the ships and we play with the Lego Star Wars sets from time to time.  I'm sure he'll be into it in a few years.  I've also got a daughter who's a little over a year.  Then finally, I've got a 3rd on the way, due in July (no GenCon this year...)

At least I know I have a good group for Imperial Assault now.