Sign in to follow this  
Keithandor

Luke Skywalker - Obsolete now ?

How does this list look to you ?

I want to use the pilots below in my list , but Poe seems like a much better deal now than Luke ?

Pilots ------

Miranda Doni [Twin Laser Turret, Tactician] (37)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12) x 2

Luke Skywalker [R2-D2, Push the Limit, Engine Upgrade] (39)

Yea, I think Poe definitely outclasses Luke.

At 38 points, you get Veteran Instincts, Autothrusters, R2-D2. The Autothrusters and PS10 (with slight initiative bid) in particular make Poe the better choice IMO.

Luke beats out Poe in a match with a lot of stress or action denial. If Poe boosts or pulls a red maneuver he's not going to get his ability while Luke does.

If you're going to load him down with points Poe is probably going to be a better choice. I'd look at Luke if I wanted to save some points.I wouldn't do much more than Luke with R2-D2, IA, and either VI or Lone Wolf depending on what else I'm running. In the right list, DTF is probably still a good choice for him. 

Luke is still solid. I fly both together at times and the difference isn't always that noticeable. If he had autothrusters it would be really close. Lonewolf closes the gap some and more control elements in the game might also favor Luke slightly. It's turrets and the extra shield that really make the difference noticeable.

Luke's not obsolete. Just much more tricky to fly, and will die quickly if he ends up in a tight spot.

I think he's actually really solid with Predator or Lone Wolf depending on your preference, R5-P9 and IA. Both upgrades work well with his abilities, as he's got good odds of being able to hold on to his focus.

There's life in the old dog yet.

Edited by McQuirk

I've actually seen people use him (Luke) with R2-F2. It surprised me, so I had a try with it. R2-F2 and Lone Wolf may not have the ability to regenerate shields, but it's amazing how bloody hard to hit he is.....

I agree that you want to keep him light on upgrades. You'll never turn a T-65 into a T-70, and trying will cost you far too much in points.

However, T-65s do let you put in an extra 'ace' rather than a generic 'filler'

Technically Lukes ability is even better than Poe's, he's just sitti ng in an inferior ship and sadly he's not much cheaper.

I agree with keeping him light, he should cost you no more than 33pts or so. Then he's quite good.

Now let's look at your list. I see Miranda, POE, 2 Zs.. At which point (39 pts) yea Poe is better. What's Luke's role here? Does he close better than Miranda or Poe would? It sucks to think like that at times but when such a direct counterpart exists it's what happens so your forced to redefine his role.

Like others said making him a t70 is over spending on him. Although I do it too at times because it's fun. However consider if you cut him back you can make those fleahunters into prototype pilots and still have a solid ace. or get another ace which you couldn't afford for 24, and so on. Luke doesn't dominate a list quite like Poe. That's it's own ability.

Edited by Carnor Rex

Only time I fly Luke now is if I am trying to be thematic or introducing someone new to the game but I think in the stress heavy meta, Luke may actually be the safer option.

Seems almost every rebel list these days has Poe in it and I have to say, whilst he IS consistent when his actions are up, he folds quite nicely when he is denied that token and the 38 points he takes with him is quite a struggle to make back, especially if he dies in the second engagement, which he generally does in our area.

For that reason, I think Luke may be more survivable and I am going to look into using him again in a more competitive list.

Sadly he's at a disadvantage because he can't change his final position so after an initial joust he's gonna struggle to catch empire aces.

Poe has both boost and T roll and a solid ability, add to that another hit point clear winner.

Technically Lukes ability is even better than Poe's, he's just sitti ng in an inferior ship and sadly he's not much cheaper.

I agree with keeping him light, he should cost you no more than 33pts or so. Then he's quite good.

I think he is pretty decent upto 35pts (R2-D2 and Pred, or R2-D2 and Lonewolf, or R5-P9 and either) and is a solid annoyance. I prefer LW and R2 to run him up a flank, people underestimate how fast a 4 straight can be.

Why not run both Luke and Poe?  That sounds mildly terrifying to me.

I love doing this. At the store tournament I went to I fought against this list and it took forever to take down. I only won because I had more points on the board at time limit.

Given the amount of stressbots about Luke is far from obsolete. Predator/Lone Wolf and his ability mean that he can modify attacking and defensive rolls even when stressed and whilst making green manoeuvres to shift stress will also regen.

Against a stress heavy list I would probably chose him over Poe

Given the amount of stressbots about Luke is far from obsolete. Predator/Lone Wolf and his ability mean that he can modify attacking and defensive rolls even when stressed and whilst making green manoeuvres to shift stress will also regen.

Against a stress heavy list I would probably chose him over Poe

I completely agree.  Going to take Luke over Poe in my rebel tourney list mainly because of stresshogs.  Lone Wolf + R2D2 on Luke is the same cost as VI + BB-8 on Poe, and arguably Luke has more staying power but less maneuverability.