Sign in to follow this  
RobTheCid

BattleLore in 90mm

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but happy to see that FFG took over BattleLore!  We've been playing for a while now, so long in fact that I've grown tired of the small board and tiny figures.

Last year we converted to 90 mm figures, and I must admit that it was one of the best decisions that I've made (game-wise).  Schleich, Papo, and BBI make a fantastic (and extensive) line of pre-painted figures, medieval AND fantasy.  The only effort on my part was the creation of a new board to accomodate the LARGE figures.  Needless to say only the floor will accomodate a 12'x8' gameboard.  And it is much easier to move units without knocking over the rest of the army.

If your a diehard gamer (like me), check out the figures.

-rob

TylerT said:

your post BEGS for images! i need to see this!

I completely agree.  Pics of this in action should definitely go up here or elsewhere.  I have been comtemplating breaking out my old Battlemasters and using that scale but to take it up to 90mm sounds truly epic.

My buddy has also been threatening to do this, although he only wants to scale up to 30mm figures. I have since talked him out of it though. Here are the reasons why:

1. He mainly wanted to scale up because he was frustrated trying to paint such tiny figures. Large scale figures would look nicer and have better detail, but painting them would only be slightly easier.

2. I can not see spending $70+ for a game and then tossing out almost everything to be replaced with another $100 worth of stuff! Of course its not my money but still... Is it worth it for a game we play once every 2 weeks or so?

Its all down to individual taste. to me its would be a waste of money, but then again I also dont see the point in painting them. To others its going to be the best thing they ever did. As long as they enjoy it, then its value for money for them. Good luck to them, enjoy the game however you like.

OK guys....I snapped off a couple of photos today.  I didn't have a game in progress so I took a couple shots of typical units.  I took one of my 90 mm infantry in a scale shot of BattleLore's 20 mm infantry.  Wow I never realized just how tiny BattleLore is...haha.  And I took a cavalry photo as well as a monster photo (one of my monsters is an armored werewolf swinging a polearm).

Now....I just have to figure out how to upload a pic to this site.  Can anyone give me some suggestions.  When I try to Insert an Image I get a bong noise, and no image transfer.  I'm using Canon's ZoomBrowser to copy pictures. 

The picture taking and computer transfer was a snap!  I'll be more than happy to take shots of both armies (and neutral mercenary units).  Thats well over 350 figures.  But this old man needs to figure out his jpegs first!

-rob

First you need to upload them to a photo site. If your not on one I would recommend photobucket. Than click on the poto button, it says URL at the very top. What you need to do is upload the image o your site, right click and tell it to copy image location. Then paste that in the space for the URL.

Lets see if this one works.  Here's a comparison for scale.  In the background is a four-man unit with a bannerman and a leader.  I use a "Rally Around the Banner" rule, so unlike BattleLore not every unit has a banner.  Leaders also bestow bonuses; I counldn't wait for the 'Hero" expansion, so I created rules of my own.

In short, this is a single blue infantry stand.  Each army can field eight (so far).  The swordsmen are Schleich, while the bannerman and leader are BBI.

I'll check this post.  If it works I'll add a couple more.

-rob

IMG_0199 by you.

OK, the last post seemed to work.  Maybe I'm doing something right here.  Here's another one, this time of cavalry.  This is a standard red unit.  Sorry, I forgot to add the BattleLore figs for scale comparison.

IMG_0203 by you.

Here's one of my "monster" units.  In this case its a 90 mm werewolf by BBI.  Personally one of my favorites since I detailed and customized the pre-painted figure.  At this scale I'm sure that I could find a Hill Giant and a Spider somewhere in the toy aisle, but I'm happy with this guy and his fellow lycanthropes (werelion and wererhino).

IMG_0202 by you.

As for price....I think the Schleich soldiers are the most reasonable at $4.00 a figure, especially for a pre-painted figure.  The Schleichs are top quality and very durable.  The BBIs have much more detail, but average at $7.00 a figure.  Therefore I use these guys mostly as heroes and leaders (due to price).  Papo has an extensive line of figures which include fantasy characters.  The older figures are of a poorer detail, but since the 90 mm hobby is gaining popularity, Papo has really upped the stakes with their recent line of soldiers.  They average about $4.50 now; and are available at craft stores (AC Moore).  1/2 off coupons have really built up my armies here.  If you're really interested, then check out the Safari and Bullyland lines.

I might have a game going sunday evening.  I'll be sure to take some pics before and during.

-rob

OK, Sunday night's game went well.  I have here a quick pic of a battle in session.  The night's battle was a simple clash: five longsbow units, five veteran infantry, two elite infantry, and three various cavalry.  I have a new player starting out and I wanted to keep it simple.

IMG00261

I kept gameplay the same as presented in BattleLore without any house rules.  Normally I'll have five or six figures per unit for veteran and elite infantry units.

He wanted to have monsters make an appearance, but we'll save that for next weeks game.

IMG00256

And in the future, I have artillery ready to go.  The middle shelf has two catapults, four ribaldiquins, and four cannon, plus the crew to man them.  Take damage, remove a crerwman!

IMG00259

I hope you enjoy the pics, and the scale of the battle.  If I host a LARGE battle any time soon I'll post more.  I'm preparing a Bouvines scenario, and the whole floor will be used.

-rob

WoW

WoW

I am impressed. It certainly looks pretty **** cool. Still not for me as I am not sure there would be room for me and the rest of the stuff in my place if I did it, but that looks really effective. Congrats on a job thats looks well done.

Andy

Wow - pretty cool setup. Personally - not for me (even if I had the room for it which I sadly don't). I really like the little 15mm guys and after playing Warhammer for many years I really love how cheap they are - I bought an entire army of of metal 15mm minis plus spare monsters and artillery peices for under $100.  Here in Canada those plastic knights you use cost anywhere between $8-$12.

Once again - very cool setup - a lot of dedication!

Cheers,

~ CEG

No current pictures.  Look for my last post regarding Lycanthrope Proxies.  You'll see some additional 90 mm pics.  There was no game this weekend due to Valentine's Day (I tried but the gf made threats that made gaming seem a bit unimportant), but next game night I'll be sure to take some pics during play.  Anything in particular that you'd like to see focused upon?

-rob

Wide shots of the whole battle with maybe hands for perspective on the size. I'm fortunate enough to have the largest room in the house dedicated to gaming and I think I could pull off a full size tabletop version on an 8x12 table; I like what you did and am thinking about giving it a shot myself. 

How much did your collection cost, if you don't mind me asking? Think they offer discounts for bulk orders? ;-D Figure that 5000pts of Bretonnians cost around 1K so this wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

OMG, OMG!

this is incredible :)

I'd really like something like that in my (somewhat small) room; come to think of it: who needs furniture, anyway?