Sign in to follow this  
Olethros

Rebels trailers has a new kind of Tie Fighter

Did anyone see it? Maybe it's going to be transported soon to X-wing, since we are lacking official ships.

Star Wars Rebels is considered canon, therefore these ships are official in every sense of the word.

That being said, not very imaginative...

Almost every fighter that showed up in rebels is a small variation of something we already have....

Which makes sense, because the show take place just before Episode IV.

I'm not sure X-wing needs another TIE Fighter right now.  I think we're all expecting an Elite TIE (Ep. VII) and that would raise the number to 3 types of TIE Fighters.  

Not sure what more a TIE could do in X-wing other than slap a cannon on one.

Seeing as how they have a slimy looking paint job, and possibly some sort of logo or emblem on the wings, this could very well be  some Ties that were repurposed by some criminals for their own means, rather than some official Tie variant of the Empire. 

Scum Ties with Illicit upgrades anyone? 

Yeah and it's ugly and unimaginative ooooh look they removed a few panels.

Helps with that peripheral vision issue. Maybe this ship is the interceptor prototype.

Given the relativistic speeds involved in space combat your eyes are the last thing you should rely on.

That's why ships have sensors.

INT. STAR WARS HQ - DAY

[Jenkins is hunched feverishly over his desk, staring at a schematic of a Tie Fighter.]

Jenkins: If I don't get this new design to head office by Monday, I can kiss goodbye to that promotion. And I'll also be fired!

[he starts doodling a space battle on a scrap piece of paper. Whenever Jenkins is stressed, he doodles. It's the only way he can return to that sense of childhood wonder he first experienced long ago. It reminds him of why he wanted this job in the first place.]

[beat]

[suddenly, the comically sized alarm clock on Jenkins' desk explodes into sound, ringing hard and clattering around on Jenkins' desk, spilling his Coffee and knocking over his pen holder. Pens go everywhere.]

Jenkins: (scared) Oh no! The Alarm! That can only mean one thing...

[Jenkins looks down to his clock, which is now on the floor, having fallen off the table. Sure enough, the clock reads MONDAY. A shadow looms over Jenkins]

Shadow: DAMMIT JENKINS WHERE IS THAT NEW TIE FIGHTER DESIGN WE NEED TO MAKE TOYS OUT OF?

Jenkins: oh g-g-gee boss, I-I-I tried I really did. But we've already got Tie Fighters, Tie Bombers, Tie Interceptors, Tie Advanced, Tie Advanced Prototypes, Tie F/Os and TIE S/Fs. Do we really nee-

Boss: I DON'T WANT EXCUSES JENKINS! I WANT RESULTS! YOU CAN KISS GOODBYE TO THAT PROMOTION, AND YOU'RE ALSO FIRED!

[he throws Jenkins out of his chair. As he does so, his eye catches on the TIE Fighter schematic, now slightly covered in coffee.]

Boss: (hushed) My god. What is this...?

Jenkins: I'm sorry boss, I er, spilt coffee over that scematic. It was an accident, I'm sor-

Boss: THIS IS AMAZING! JENKINS YOU JOKER! WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY YOU HAD THIS? YOU REALLY HAD ME FOOLED WITH THAT CLAPTRAP ABOUT DESIGN SATURATION!

Jenkins: But it's just a Tie Fighter but with one of the wing segments eaten...

Boss: DON'T BE SO MODEST JENKINS! YOU'VE EARNED THAT PROMOTION THIS TIME! AND ALSO, YOU'RE HIRED!

Jenkins: Yahooo!

SFX: Applause track

[Jenkins yells his signature catchphrase 'yahooo' and jumps into the air. Freeze on Jenkins with applause in background]

Helps with that peripheral vision issue. Maybe this ship is the interceptor prototype.

Given the relativistic speeds involved in space combat your eyes are the last thing you should rely on.

But remember, as Star Wars fighter combat is based on WW2 gun camera footage and movies, the MK 1 eyeball is used as the primary sensor when the dogfight begins.  Does "Pick up your visual scanning" in Episode 4 ring a bell? So, even though you think it's ugly and lazy, in the Star Wars universe improving your peripheral vision, which removing the 2 front solar panels on a TIE does, helps in the dogfight.

Poor design choices aside, the last thing Imperials need is another 2 dice primary ship that can't take a persistent secondary weapon. This thing should definitely not make it into the game.

6/9 of Imperial small base ships are 2 dice primaries, and none of them can take cannons or turrets.

Compare at 5/10 for the Rebels (3 of which can take turrets) and 4/7 for Scum (3 of which can take a turret/cannon).

2 dice doesn't go far in the current game anyways, and the Imperials are already saturated with them.

Well, if SW was truly space combat, yes that would be true. But SW is really boats in space.

Anyways, the ship is yellow, which screams prototype. I'd guess its the slow evolution to the interceptor.

Seeing as how they have a slimy looking paint job, and possibly some sort of logo or emblem on the wings, this could very well be  some Ties that were repurposed by some criminals for their own means, rather than some official Tie variant of the Empire. 

Scum Ties with Illicit upgrades anyone? 

Now that would be cool!

Everyone has at least two TIEs. Take a hobby knife and go to work. Paint it booger green if you want. Say it's the Interceptor Prototype and give it the fighter dial with a green 3 and 4 forward and boost. Ta Da!

(Although the wing pylons look weird, hmmm)

Poor design choices aside, the last thing Imperials need is another 2 dice primary ship that can't take a persistent secondary weapon. This thing should definitely not make it into the game.6/9 of Imperial small base ships are 2 dice primaries, and none of them can take cannons or turrets.Compare at 5/10 for the Rebels (3 of which can take turrets) and 4/7 for Scum (3 of which can take a turret/cannon).2 dice doesn't go far in the current game anyways, and the Imperials are already saturated with them.

Yeah, unless it costs less than 10 points so they can sell us 11 or 12 of them...

No seriously i see it coming the Tie/Dis (for discount) fighter will cost 8 points, have 2 hitpoints and 2 firepower!

But then instead of this lazy design, just give us the Tie Droid from EU!

Edited by ForceM

This has nothing to do with Star Wars. The speeds they're combat functions at are far too low, and there has never been so much as a nod to time dilation in Star Wars. The have been references to Ties limiting visibility however. Work in their universe not ours.