Sign in to follow this  
jshlouie

Miraluka

So, a player of mine wants to play a Miraluka...

I was hoping to turn to the forums for advice. Here is my build:

Brawn 2                Agility 1                Cunning 2            Intellect 3            Willpower 2        Presence 2

Wound Threshold: 10+Brawn

Strain Threshold: 10+Willpower

Starting Experience: 100xp

Special Abilities: Miraluka begin the game with one rank in Perception. They still may not train Perception above rank 2 during character creation.

Force Sight: The Miraluka are physiologically blind and are only capable of seeing through use of the force. They do not receive penalty dice because of concealment when using Perception, unless the target of the check is a target resistant to force, or creatures "invisible" to the force.

I was hoping to make something representative while not overpowered. I am considering giving them a special cost reduction off their first power or talent, but instead gave them 100XP, which doesn't penalize Miraluka that don't decide to develop their force powers. Although I considered giving them a specific cost reduction on sense and its talents with 90XP. Anyway, thoughts?

Brawn 2                Agility 1                Cunning 2            Intellect 3            Willpower 2        Presence 2

Special Abilities: Miraluka begin the game with one rank in Perception. They still may not train Perception above rank 2 during character creation.

Force Sight: The Miraluka are physiologically blind and are only capable of seeing through use of the force. They do not receive penalty dice because of concealment when using Perception, unless the target of the check is a target resistant to force, or creatures "invisible" to the force.

I was hoping to make something representative while not overpowered. I am considering giving them a special cost reduction off their first power or talent, but instead gave them 100XP, which doesn't penalize Miraluka that don't decide to develop their force powers. Although I considered giving them a specific cost reduction on sense and its talents with 90XP. Anyway, thoughts?

Instead of Perception I would give them Cunning 1 (To reflect their reliance on the Force to perceive the world around them) and Willpower 3, as well as allowing them to start with Force Rating 1 and the base Sense power. The total XP will probably be much lower than 90 as a result, though you can lower their Wounds to 8 + Brawn to make up for it a bit.

Instead of Perception I would give them Cunning 1 (To reflect their reliance on the Force to perceive the world around them) and Willpower 3, as well as allowing them to start with Force Rating 1 and the base Sense power. The total XP will probably be much lower than 90 as a result, though you can lower their Wounds to 8 + Brawn to make up for it a bit.

While I agree that Cunning or Willpower are better traits to move to 3 I do disagree with the idea of giving them a Force Rating and a base Force power. Giving them a Force rating of 1 makes them a go to species if you want to play a Force user but don't feel like playing an F&D career first. It allows you to skip Exile/Emergent unlike any other species and it gives you a free power when no one gets free powers.

The Perception bonus seems more reasonable. 

I wanted to stay away from force rating 1, as I think that gives them too much an advantage. And I had the agility down because they are slow to react, not slow witted. Also, I chose willpower as the 3 because they have traditionally in rpgs been represented as high intellect.

The stated setback dice would most definitely need to be added though, good call blackbird

While I agree that Cunning or Willpower are better traits to move to 3 I do disagree with the idea of giving them a Force Rating and a base Force power. Giving them a Force rating of 1 makes them a go to species if you want to play a Force user but don't feel like playing an F&D career first. It allows you to skip Exile/Emergent unlike any other species and it gives you a free power when no one gets free powers.

I meant to specify that the costs of the Force specialization (10) and Sense power (15) would also be subtracted from their experience total. It's actually less effective than just buying them with XP, because the Miraluka are only buying a Force rating rather than access to either the Exile or Emergent tree.

It's been a while since I've played that part, but I think Visas Marr in KotOR 2 could still 'see' everything -- even droids and Force-resistant Toydarians -- through a filter of sorts, and the Miraluka in TOR seem to be able to interact normally with other similar Force resistant species and dead. I think you could probably drop the qualifier that their ability doesn't work on the Force resistant, and add that they lose the benefit and gain Setback when blinded from the Force (through Suppress and exposure to the ysalamiri).

Although they are buying a force rating, if it stacks with a career's initial fr, then they will effectively have a 50+xp investment for very little as that generally is pretty deep in a specialization, or else it doesn't stack and ironically your miraluka suffers from being good at the force because of the embargoes to have that force rating

I meant to specify that the costs of the Force specialization (10) and Sense power (15) would also be subtracted from their experience total. It's actually less effective than just buying them with XP, because the Miraluka are only buying a Force rating rather than access to either the Exile or Emergent tree.

Giving a PC race a Force rating is too op in my book. It becomes a go to move when you're wanting to eventually become one and also, now that I've thought about it, means that starting in a F&D means you get nothing. So you lose out on the xp benefits in the long run. 

Although they are buying a force rating, if it stacks with a career's initial fr, then they will effectively have a 50+xp investment for very little as that generally is pretty deep in a specialization, or else it doesn't stack and ironically your miraluka suffers from being good at the force because of the embargoes to have that force rating

Then the obvious solution is to have the Force ratings not stack.

It strikes me that this would encourage players to play Miraluka Jedi rather than Miraluka Force Exiles or Emergents (Since as you pointed out they would be wasting XP), so I would call that mission accomplished. :V

It wouldn't reward miralukas to be played as Jedi: if the fr you get from your career does't stack, which based on wording I'd say it doesn't "starts with fr 1", then the benefit of having a starting fr and the stuff traded off to get it (less xp and such) becomes a hindrance and not a benefit. Same with the exile/emergent specs, since they state if already 1 doesn't get increased. Starting out with a fr isn't worth the cost, and makes the miraluka's fr only beneficial to those who seek no force specialization or career, which is pointless and counterintuitive. Why punish a species build to reward those who will only benefit by deciding not to benefit?

Edited by jshlouie

It wouldn't reward miralukas to be played as Jedi: if the fr you get from your career does't stack, which based on wording I'd say it doesn't "starts with fr 1", then the benefit of having a starting fr and the stuff traded off to get it (less xp and such) becomes a hindrance and not a benefit. Same with the exile/emergent specs, since they state if already 1 doesn't get increased. Starting out with a fr isn't worth the cost, and makes the miraluka's fr only beneficial to those who seek no force specialization or career, which is pointless and counterintuitive. Why punish a species build to reward those who will only benefit by deciding not to benefit?

Ah, I see your point now. Fair.

This is why I don't like homebrewed species that rely on giving them some kind of Force related ability. Whether it be with the Miraluka here or the Sith dark affintity in the other thread I'm finding that all attempts to give them some kind of Force related power falls short. It either makes the species OP if you don't want to start as a F&D char or it undercuts the overall specie bonus by providing them with ablities they can't use unless they take a particular class.

I think instead their bonuses should be flavored to sound as if they are derived from their connection to the Force. So in this case a Miraluka gaining a bonus with Perceptions checks or bonus dice or taking away setback dice on Perception and what not and flavoring that as "The Force" is far better than trying to directly give them an actual Force ability. 

I too have a player that wants to play one, here's what I had come up with.

2's across the Characteristics board. Br+10=Wnds Will+12=Strain. Free point of Discipline.

Force Sight: Miraluka start with the Sense Basic Power, but it is always active, and does not require the Miralukan to be force sensitive. All Miralukan's are naturally slightly more attuned to the force then other beings. Miralukans can feel the raw Force that flows through all things in the galaxy.. allowing them to "see" inorganic things such as droids, rocks, even how the energy of a datapad flows slightly differently making words.. Miralukans ignore up to 3 setback dice from environmental effects and concealment. If cutoff from the Force somehow, Miralukans are effectively blinded and lose the benefits of Force Sight.

85xp maayybe 90.. what do you guys think?

Well, another stipulation I would add in if you are playing in the Rebellion era is that there is a standing bounty on Miraluka and Imperial officials have a detain on sight order for them.  The Great Jedi Purge was also a great force user purge and the hardest hit was probably the Miraluka because they are nothing but Force users.  Also you are talking about creating a race that starts automatically with a Force Rating of 1 which based on the RAW means they would get access to all force powers within that rating.  However, not sure how game breaking that would be but I get the feeling it was enough as to why FFG hasn't introduced them yet.

One reasoning why you wouldn't want to give a Force rating to a species is it strips the choice of the player of whether he wants to have a Force rating or not.

Another is probably fairness. Even if you consider the 'cost' minimal and not that much, a species starting with FR 1 gets some benefits others wouldn't. If I was a Miraluka Explorer, and Bill was a Togruta Seeker, and Mary was a Rodian Smuggler, I have all the possibilities open to me that Bill's PC has, and a little more (2 extra career skills, 1 extra free rank at start). If Mary wanted to progress as a Force user, she'd have to pick up Exile/Emergent first before she could start spending on powers or Force specializations, whereas I could skip that step and take whatever I wanted. If you did lay that out and count the cost as no more than two or three game session's worth of XP, it's still a slight imbalance in my favor. Maybe it's not game breaking, but I could see it causing problems among the players.

Isn't Force Rating one the equivalent as picking up the FS trees, or starting as s FnD career? I don't exactly see it as over powered, since there are so many ways to start FS right now.

Not that it's a huge balancer, but they also have one less starting skill rank. (3 automatic ranks in Career skills instead of 4) 

If the player indeed wants to be Mraluka and a F&D career, then the Foce rating they start with is assumed to be a part of their background. No need to mess with game mechanics. I do like the setback reduction for perception, though I would limit it to removing up to 2 setback on Perception checks. 

I agree that a  B 2 A 2 I 2 C 1 W 3 P 2  is a good stat block.

I would replicate Force sight with a a simple rule:" can't be blinded, and removes upt to  2 setbacks due to darkness or fog " (i would not let them see through walls though).

As for the Miraluka being hunted down during the rebellion era, it's not written anywhere, the F&D book actually has their homeworld of  Alpheridies as a visitable world. It even mentions their Force Senstive police/guards of the Luka Sene still existing. So i would not given any penalty like this. 

They are near-humans. Even if they were persecuted by the Empire, all a clever PC would have to do is put on sunglasses.

Or they can try to paas off as cyborgs with artificial eyes