Sign in to follow this  
Spike IT

What goes with Wampa???

I just got my Gozanti cruiser and I'm looking at the new TIE pilots. Wampa seems like he could have a good ability - if you can get him a crit. But how can you do that reliably? He doesn't have an EPT slot, so you can't give him Marksmanship directly. I guess you could pairing him up with Youngster, but that is a lot of points. You can give him a Targeting Computer so he could take target locks. You can pair him with Howlrunner to reroll 1 die.

Am I missing something, but without a cheap reliable way to get him a crit every round - he seems just meh to me.

Wampa pairs well with Lt Colzet.  In a perfect storm, you can kill Corran Horn without Horn rolling a dice.

Wampa shoots at Horn, rolls a crit so Horn gets a Damage Card.  Colzet spends his TL on Horn to flip the card.  If it is a Direct Hit, Horn is toast.

I don't think wampa's the kind of pilot that you build your whole list around, he's just an excellent filler ship that lacks an academy's main weakness. I've been playing this list recently:

26 Omega Leader w/ Juke, Comms

14 Wampa.

30 (2x) Black w/ Crackshot.

30 Omnicrom w/ Palpatine, Scopes.

Palpatine pairs very well with Omega Leader and Wampa, and makes them very good at hurting troublesome agility tanks. Shuttle makes an excellent blocker at PS0, and can tank some hits early to take the pressure off of the TIEs. Omega leader can go toe-to-toe with pretty much any fat turret ship, especially in the endgame. I've killed Fat Dash with him many times in the endgame.

I don't think wampa's the kind of pilot that you build your whole list around, he's just an excellent filler ship that lacks an academy's main weakness. I've been playing this list recently:

14 Wampa.

Palpatine pairs very well with Omega Leader and Wampa, and makes them very good at hurting troublesome agility tanks. Shuttle makes an excellent blocker at PS0, and can tank some hits early to take the pressure off of the TIEs. Omega leader can go toe-to-toe with pretty much any fat turret ship, especially in the endgame. I've killed Fat Dash with him many times in the endgame.

I like it.

You can also fit a 30pt Vader instead of the Blackshots - this leaves you with three ships you desperately want to kill, and one ship that acts as an enabler to each of them.

Go for the shuttle, and that's a lot of hurt coming your way. Go for the aces, and the shuttle keeps helping them. :D

14 Wampa.

I like it.

You can also fit a 30pt Vader instead of the Blackshots - this leaves you with three ships you desperately want to kill, and one ship that acts as an enabler to each of them.

Go for the shuttle, and that's a lot of hurt coming your way. Go for the aces, and the shuttle keeps helping them. :D

Hey, a use for Adaptability! PS10 30 point Vader!

14 Wampa.

I like it.

... You didn't see that immediately? Or PS-matched Wedge/Wes combos? :)

Sometimes that single extra point of PS is all it takes, and paying 1pt for VI is just overkill.

Wampa pairs insanely well with the Emperor. In fact, I recently took this to 1st place at a 20-man tournament:

Commander Kenkirk (Predator, Emperor Palpatine, Ysanne Isard, Engine Upgrade) [63]

Omega Leader (Veteran Instincts) [22]

Wampa [14]

99 points

Such was the threat posed by Wampa's guaranteed hull damage that several opponents threw everything at him, allowing the Decimator worth four times as much to happily go about its business. It was actually quite surreal.

Edited by DR4CO

There were two wampas in the top 8 of the Swedish Championship 2016;

2nd place:

Omega Leader + Juke + Comms Relay

Wampa

4 Black Squadron pilots with crack

8th:

Vader + ATC + VI + X1

Omega Leader + Juke + Comms Relay

Wampa
Palpatine

14 Wampa.

I like it.

... You didn't see that immediately? Or PS-matched Wedge/Wes combos? :)

Sometimes that single extra point of PS is all it takes, and paying 1pt for VI is just overkill.

Usually matching is partly the point, but here it actually needs to be 0 points for it to fit. As an added bonus, dropping to 8 against low PS opponents is actually pretty decent.

Wampa pairs well with Lt Colzet.  In a perfect storm, you can kill Corran Horn without Horn rolling a dice.

Wampa shoots at Horn, rolls a crit so Horn gets a Damage Card.  Colzet spends his TL on Horn to flip the card.  If it is a Direct Hit, Horn is toast.

Only thing is timing as colzet doesn't trigger til end of combat. 

Edited by McFoy