Sign in to follow this  
Scoundrel

is the xi swarm viable again?

i flew the list a lot back in the day and i have been dusting it off lately as tlt spam is not seen much in my environment these days. And the list can easily handle one or two tlts.

i used to run a flechettetorp for soontir but now i run stims instead. its pretty hefty and allows you to fly Xi even more aggressive. i think he still needs VI but my wet dream is to find something neat offensively to slap on him at some point if the meta changes from competing for ps 9. and it might just. 

so as of now my list is:

xi, vi, fcs, at, stim, virago

5x binaries

99 points

the list rarely looses and seems to have a chance vs a lot of builds.

could it be a thing again?

Nobody has any idea what you mean by Xi.  

If you drop a Z , you could get flechette on Xizor. 

and maybe 8 points of feedback array? or 4 points of PS3 Zs and 3 with feedback array.  Should make soontir dead.  

Vader might be worse: more health, ps11, just as maneuverable.  

Nah it needs to be five z's. Tried four. Doesnt Cut it. To little punch. Maybe ill go back to flechette again if soontir is still as prevalent as he was last season but my Real question is if the list-type is at all viable in the current meta? Five ps 1 for blocking, Meat shielding and swarming Big targets. Xizor as a finisher and resilient damage dealer.

How would it fare vs relevant lists out there?

Edited by Scoundrel

Problem with replacing him with guri is that ps5 and no defensive ability like his highness would Make her dead first time she enters the fray i fear. The opponent Can just Pick her out and kill her. Xizor Can fly directly into People's faces and deal a lot of Dam. Opponent Can start firing at him and that sometimes disrupts their plan. Might be wrong, though. She is a great knife fighter after all.

But one or two tlt is no problem. Then they kill one z and one of them dies. Next turn they should be gone. Problem with 4 tlt is that they Can just kill xisor.

Edited by Scoundrel

But one or two tlt is no problem. Then they kill one z and one of them dies. Next turn they should be gone. Problem with 4 tlt is that they Can just kill xisor.

I think you underestimate how hard it is to catch a y-wing with unhinged astromechs making all speed three moves green all they have to concern themselves with is staying out of range one.

They don't have to joust to be effective.

Given the frequent presence of TLT's which ignore Xizor's ability to pass off an uncancelled hit or crit result, you may want to consider shaking things up a bit do that he isn't annihilated by those lists immediately.

Although it's a tough upgrade to give up but if you were to drop FCS and instead equip a Sensor Jammer you are going to deter TLT's from going straight for Xizor's. That or you may fend off their attacks and come out relatively unscathed. Scum Y's can make good use of the Agromech and SJ would certainly work very well against their second attack.

Seeing as you give up some offense with no FCS you could then go for Predator in the EPT slot. I still would want to focus as much as possible but this still lets you boost or b-roll if you need to.

Add 5 Binayre Pirates and you are sitting at 99 points. Stay there for an init gambit or add an Inertial Dampener with the remaining point.

effectiveness of TLTs on Xizor, as on everything else, is highly exaggerated on the forums. thrusters and high maneuverability, not to mention being able to drop a Y with concentrated fire in a turn, make jammers unnecessary

TLTs aren't pwts, they can be outplayed

plus it's 5 health and thrusters against **** that can't oneshot you due to sh*tty greens. It's hardly the stuff of nightmare

12182506_10156167512210142_6422402656433

I think you underestimate how hard it is to catch a y-wing with unhinged astromechs making all speed three moves green all they have to concern themselves with is staying out of range one.

They don't have to joust to be effective.

nah, their maneuverability is hilariously exaggerated on the forums. Low PS no post-maneuver movement != difficult to catch or concentrate fire on, the later being what you do when there's too many to dodge all of em (what you don't do is go diving when there are four, because then you dodge one and get swissed by 3)

unless you're talking about the Zs catching em. Even shuttles can give Zs a run for their money <_<

they're good for making a wall of "**** you" between Xizor and TLTs, though. They try to get him in range with everyone, the Zs tear them up

Edited by ficklegreendice

Fickle, we agree. The power of tlt has been exxagerated a bit. Also by me. Thats why i Think this list could be back. I have beaten Both palpy and bros in tourney play with it and i really like it. Six ships is a lot, you have a bid for ini, fair ammonut of hp, great blocking, and while xisor is no soontir he is still a reasonably strong ace and Quiete the finisher. Also, his ability changes the targeting dynamic of the game and many opponents will make a few mistake with this during a game.

If you think you can handle Soontir at PS7 (which I think is reasonable with all those blockers), you can swap VI and the initiative bud for Lone Wolf. Against TLTs it lets you split him wide and get pretty amazing overall defense (re-rolling one blank, converting a blank to an evade, and your stim round, combined with his movement options) should make even quad TLTs pretty manageable. Against everybody else, you use his ability to shunt damage, then let Lone Wolf kick in for the end game.

With PS7, you'll have to use a different set of tricks to go after aces, but you need those anyway for when you run into PS9 with a better bid than you.

Tangent here... If it's potentially "back", when was it here the first time? I never heard of it being a thing.

It had a good run early in last season iirc. Made some cuts and even won or came in second at a few events before tlts hit. I personally took it to third place at a ~20 dude local. But your right, it was Never super popular. I like it though and want to improve on it and spit Ball ideas around the concept with u guys. Believe me, its a good lidt that has answers for a lot of things.

If you think you can handle Soontir at PS7 (which I think is reasonable with all those blockers), you can swap VI and the initiative bud for Lone Wolf. Against TLTs it lets you split him wide and get pretty amazing overall defense (re-rolling one blank, converting a blank to an evade, and your stim round, combined with his movement options) should make even quad TLTs pretty manageable. Against everybody else, you use his ability to shunt damage, then let Lone Wolf kick in for the end game.

With PS7, you'll have to use a different set of tricks to go after aces, but you need those anyway for when you run into PS9 with a better bid than you.

I used to run a flechette for soontir but i kinda dont fear him as much these days. Dont know why. I just always end up blocking him and frying him that Way. My only loss in competitive play with the list was vs a 7or 8 rebel z swarm but the palpy matchup was brutal too with xi killing soontir last round with two hull left.

I have tried to run xisor with Both tlts, merc and k Fighters and i clearly find the zswarm the stronger option. Maybe a super cheap 666 and some fillers?

The "block and fry" (nice terminology) is generally my preferred method as well. It's more reliable than just hoping to win the initiative bid. The Rebel Z-swarm is a tough match up because the PS advantage they have, although Lone Wolf helps Xizor in the end game against that list.

If you want to mess around with something different, look at 2x Hired Gun with TLT, Proximity Mine, and BTL A4 title. It's a full 4 fewer hit points than the Zs, but it has better first-turn firepower and good PS. With Xizor, it can smoke a TLT in a round, probably killing 2 before you lose a Hired Gun. The mine gives them some anti-ace moves, as the hits go right through green dice and can't be arc dodged. I find them a heck of a lot of fun to fly, but they aren't the most efficient thing out there.