Sign in to follow this  
Rustedborg

Autothrusters, my poor bank account, and the 'meh' StarViper

This is actually a far better situation than if you were a Rebel B-Wing player back in the day. You needed to purchase 4 Lambda's to get the 4 copies of Advanced Sensors that you wanted. Or you could borrow then from friends. Eventually FFG released AS with the E-Wing when that came out and elieviated the issue a bit. I see a similar thing happening with Autothrusters.

Bummer that people are jacking up the price on the Star Viper in response. Hopefully not your FLGS, that wouldn't be so friendly.

And as many others have pointed out, the Viper is a lot of fun to play. I've used 2 generics in a list plenty of times and had a lot of fun.

This is actually a far better situation than if you were a Rebel B-Wing player back in the day. You needed to purchase 4 Lambda's to get the 4 copies of Advanced Sensors that you wanted. Or you could borrow then from friends. Eventually FFG released AS with the E-Wing when that came out and elieviated the issue a bit. I see a similar thing happening with Autothrusters.

Even that's not as bad as wanting to run 4 A-Wings with PTL and Wired (4 x TFA Core Set) or 5 Black Squads with Ruthlessness (5 x VT-49). 

This is actually a far better situation than if you were a Rebel B-Wing player back in the day. You needed to purchase 4 Lambda's to get the 4 copies of Advanced Sensors that you wanted

And as many others have pointed out, the Viper is a lot of fun to play. I've used 2 generics in a list plenty of times and had a lot of fun.

Yeah... the Lambda only contained ONE Adv. Sensors and it was the go to for B-wings then.

My favorite list contains two PS 1 Starvipers and Kath.  I've only lost 1 game (due to stupidity on my part) with that list and would fly it every time if all I was interested in was winning.  The Starvipers are a blast to fly as that dial is AMAZING!  I can't wait for the PAT to finally get released so I will have a similar ship for the Empire.

Even that's not as bad as wanting to run 4 A-Wings with PTL and Wired (4 x TFA Core Set) or 5 Black Squads with Ruthlessness (5 x VT-49).

You only need 3 Decimators- There's two copies of ruthless in it. No such luck if you've come up with an idea for an Intimidation based list, though.

Close; there's two copies of Ruthlessness per VT-49 box. But the point stands that certain squads need a fair investment in order to simply acquire physical copies of enough cards.

Edit: squark got to the same point first

Edited by Tsiegtiez

Buy online, they don't increase price based on popularity of a ship.

Or just buy the card only, will cost you like 4-5$ for 1 autothruster.

Clearly you haven't looked on ebay or the majority of online U.S. retail sites lately.

Most U.S. retailers for FF products with an online presence are out of stock on the StarViper or have inflated the price (or radically inflated shipping to artificially increase the purchase price).

Every U.S.-based ebay listing for the StarViper expansion is either for an open box without the upgrade cards (no autothrusters) or an inflated price. There are some ebay listings for unopened StarVipers from sellers overseas ... but I'd have to pay crazy shipping fees and wait an extra month for delivery here in the U.S.

Every trusted ebay seller that usually sells individual upgrade cards (not fake DIY reprints) is currently out of stock on autothrusters.

I'm sure the availability of the StarViper and autothrusters will improve over time as FF ships a fresh supply of StarViper expansions to retailers, but right now it's a painful process to get autothrusters ... which is what compelled me to make the original post.

Buy online, they don't increase price based on popularity of a ship.

Or just buy the card only, will cost you like 4-5$ for 1 autothruster.

Clearly you haven't looked on ebay or the majority of online U.S. retail sites lately.

Most U.S. retailers for FF products with an online presence are out of stock on the StarViper or have inflated the price (or radically inflated shipping to artificially increase the purchase price).

Every U.S.-based ebay listing for the StarViper expansion is either for an open box without the upgrade cards (no autothrusters) or an inflated price. There are some ebay listings for unopened StarVipers from sellers overseas ... but I'd have to pay crazy shipping fees and wait an extra month for delivery here in the U.S.

Every trusted ebay seller that usually sells individual upgrade cards (not fake DIY reprints) is currently out of stock on autothrusters.

I'm sure the availability of the StarViper and autothrusters will improve over time as FF ships a fresh supply of StarViper expansions to retailers, but right now it's a painful process to get autothrusters ... which is what compelled me to make the original post.

Yeah, wave 6 in general is hard to find at the moment, which is unfortunate for anyone who wants to purchase something from it. Of course, if you don't need anything from it, you probably aren't looking for it, so it's understandable some of the above posters weren't fully aware of the shortages.

The good news is that Wave 6 is on the boat, currently, so you should be able to buy stuff from it again soon.

Check Barnes and Nobles. The one near me has a few Stavipers on the shelf. That's where I bought my copies of Engine Upgrade at 30% off of MSRP when everyone else was posting about needing to spend $50+ dollars to get a pair. It was pretty cool that the cards came with a free Millennium Falcon model to put on my desk.

It took FFG until Wave 7 to add a second source for a card that was released in Wave 2. It may take awhile before Autothrusters shows up in anything else. 

Edited by WWHSD

Just bite the bullet and buy 2 copies of Starviper online for cheap and sales tax free.

It also comes with Calculation and Accuracy Corrector, which can be useful on generic TIE/x1s and Punishers with Cluster Missiles.

*edit, oh crap they are out of stock like everywhere, sorry! I'm glad I followed my own advice when I did. 13 dollars for my second one, I bought my first in town at an lgs.

Edited by Vulf

You don't buy Star Vipers. You buy the Autothrusters card compilation including Calculation and Accuracy Corrector as bonus feature AND get on top of that a scum fighter for free.

It's just a matter of perspective...!

Edited by John Tenzer

T70 and TIE Adv. Prototype would have been great places to include Autothrusters.

The T-70 comes with Integrated Astromech, and the Prototype comes with Guidance Chips. FFG ships small blisters with exactly 5 upgrade cards, which means sometimes they have to compromise on what ends up in the package.

I'm pretty sure that I've got an unopened starviper. If you are looking to buy one for msrp and shipping shoot me a message.

Thanks, I totally would have taken you up on this offer an hour ago, but after WWHSD suggested Barnes and Noble I immediately called my local B&N to see if they have the StarViper in stock and the store owner put two on hold for me at the customer service desk.

I never realized that Barnes and Noble sold X-Wing expansions ... I've been relying on the two comics/gaming stores in my area (as well as online retailers and ebay) for my X-wing gear. Nice to know there's another option for X-wing gear within a short drive of my house!

T70 and TIE Adv. Prototype would have been great places to include Autothrusters.

We've had this argument before, actually. The conclusion was that there wasn't anything to cut from the T-70 expansion pack given the general way upgrades are included in small ship expansions, but a fair number of people questioned the wisdom of including deadeye in the TAP expansion. Personally, I think it makes sense if the Barons have EPTs so they can launch their Homing Missiles at any target they please without assistance, but other people felt the anti-synergy with the title made it a bad inclusion. (Also, I think it'd make sense to keep an EPT in the pack, so if they did cut Deadeye, Veteran Instincts or Wired would be better reprints).

You're welcome to revive the discussion here if you like, but I don't think there's much more to say, frankly.

Edited by Squark

I remember back in Wave 2 when you couldn't get a TIE Interceptor for less than $25. And even then, a lot of what you were "buying" was a place in line for when their shipment came in from FFG.

My experience and advice is to just _wait_ until the next StarViper boat arrives. You'll be able to get one at MSRP. Just wait. Wait. Wait. Be patient. The boat will come, and then you'll get your StarViper. It will come with an extra copy of Autothrusters, and you'll have a great fun ship _and_ a great card.