Sign in to follow this  
jonboyjon1990

The Stresshog needs a nerf - Discuss

Every list should fear something.

I fly BBBBZ and XXXX lists. Nothing I like more than a dead stresshog roasting on a spit.  As a consequence, I have to fear high PS regen or impossible to hit arc dodgers. It's the risk I take when I put my lists on my table. Yet, you shed no tears for me.

You load up a butt ton of points on 1 or 2 aces and maybe throw the Star Wars equivalent of a VW Beetle in for good measure. Nothing you like more than watching a BBBBZ or XXXX list frantically trying to get you in arc, and then giggling hysterically when I miss or in the unlikely event a hit gets through, you regenerating the shield. As a consequence, you have to fear stresshogs. It's the risk you take when you put your lists on the table. You ask me to shed tears for you? No, no sir, I don't think I will.

My feeling is that it's a nice counter to imperial aces. It kinda sucks when. You're trying to get good positioning, only to have your opponent move, push the limit, move again, then boost, and now they are either out of arc, or behind you. Remember also, you have to spend A LOT of money to get that one card.

Every list should fear something.

I fly BBBBZ and XXXX lists. Nothing I like more than a dead stresshog roasting on a spit.  As a consequence, I have to fear high PS regen or impossible to hit arc dodgers. It's the risk I take when I put my lists on my table. Yet, you shed no tears for me.

You load up a butt ton of points on 1 or 2 aces and maybe throw the Star Wars equivalent of a VW Beetle in for good measure. Nothing you like more than watching a BBBBZ or XXXX list frantically trying to get you in arc, and then giggling hysterically when I miss or in the unlikely event a hit gets through, you regenerating the shield. As a consequence, you have to fear stresshogs. It's the risk you take when you put your lists on the table. You ask me to shed tears for you? No, no sir, I don't think I will.

Aha, but the point is you dedicate all your list to jousting and y-wing roasting.

and stresshog lets you spend 1\4 of your points and forget about aces as a problem entirely.

Easy to use, impossible to ignore, requires no luck, no planning. It's not your skill to fly it it's now enemy's problem "how to not get into huge cone R2-R3 in front of it"

+to that it has the god-sent 1 forward.

you spend 1\4 of your points and have a hard counter to half of lists. 

how much do you have to spend to competely not fear PWTs for example?

You need 4 TLTs, entire roster, dedicated to that.

THAT is why stresshog is so freaking overpowered at the moment.

all hail rebels, the owners of best toys, 

Jouster age? BBBB, Biggs walking the dogs

Phantom Menace era? Guess who has PS11 PWT

Acewing? You know who got regen aces to completely annihilate jousters and 26 points of "ruin enemy ace day in a turn"

On another thread I just posted how we need more midPS pilots that handle aces to get the PS war at a ceasefire at least... Stressbot is not midPS specific but is a nice a set back to aces. Would it still see play at 1-2pts more? I'd think so.

I havnt seen it be a huge issue. I can see how in the hands of a great player it is deadly. But think more great players need to keep casuals in mind when not at high level events. Casuals also need to accept that the high skills player who just tabled you would have done so with or without the stressbot.

Edited by Rakky Wistol

It's a Y-Wing.  Out fly it.

also known as "not even once get into 2-3 range arc 

sure, bro, cool story

not that cool, it's actually not that difficult to do

12362993_10156270498430142_4898100201708

the stress god Y requires no luck, but plenty of planning. Throwing some stress on soonts is nice and all, but that Y isn't killing him by itself. You need the rest of your squad to collapse on him, and you need a plan for when the Y takes itself out of the fight simply by flying past your enemy and taking at least 2 turns to 2-turn its way back

really, if you know what a 2-turn looks like, you should have minimal issue shouting "toro! toro!" and dancing around the stiff bugger

12377897_10156300755595142_2222413317766

El Presidente segnors and says "Ole!"

besides, I thought you'd of all people be happy about the anti-boostwing ship

Edited by ficklegreendice

Wow, Warpman. Your rant can basically be summed up as Stresshog should be nerfed because Paul Heaver flies Rebel.

That is equal parts awesome and depressing. It's awepressing.

"Dead stresshogs cause no stress." - John F. Kennedy

"It is your choice to not bring enough red dice to kill a stresshog." - Margaret Thatcher

"Dials come with white and green maneuvers. All of which can be executed while stressed." - William Shakespeare

It it going to be fun to see Defenders laugh in the face of stress. Or 4-LOM. 

"laugh" is a strong word

they care, just not nearly as much as an ace would

character Vipers are also already very stress resistant, pity no one bothers

Look at this guy thinking Xizor/Guri don't care about actions.

Edited by Panzeh

It it going to be fun to see Defenders laugh in the face of stress. Or 4-LOM. 

"laugh" is a strong word

they care, just not nearly as much as an ace would

character Vipers are also already very stress resistant, pity no one bothers

Look at this guy thinking Xizor/Guri don't care about actions.

how you translate "Very stress resistant" to "don't care" is clearly between you and your own unique interpretation of the english language

how you translate "Very stress resistant" to "don't care" is clearly between you and your own unique interpretation of the english language

So, when I look at stress resistance, I look at "can this ship get action-like effects while stressed" because the main effect of stress is not getting to act.  Tycho is stress resistant.  Fat Han is stress resistant.  Xizor and Guri don't really fit the bill.

So, when I look at stress resistance, I look at "can this ship get action-like effects while stressed" because the main effect of stress is not getting to act.  Tycho is stress resistant.  Fat Han is stress resistant.  Xizor and Guri don't really fit the bill.

predator/lw

FCS/Jammers

both pilot abilities

thrusters

no reds apart from segnors

they fit the bill just fine

Edited by ficklegreendice

It's a Y-Wing.  Out fly it.

sure, bro, cool story

not that cool, it's actually not that difficult to do

the stress god Y requires no luck, but plenty of planning. Throwing some stress on soonts is nice and all, but that Y isn't killing him by itself. You need the rest of your squad to collapse on him, and you need a plan for when the Y takes itself out of the fight simply by flying past your enemy and taking at least 2 turns to 2-turn its way back

really, if you know what a 2-turn looks like, you should have minimal issue shouting "toro! toro!" and dancing around the stiff bugger

El Presidente segnors and says "Ole!"

besides, I thought you'd of all people be happy about the anti-boostwing ship

If only it wasn't another rebel-only thing.

If only it wasn't an autowin

No problems, we're all already accustomed to that. (the only thing that pisses me off greater that rebel biased gamedesign is a rebel biased worlds commenters...)

And as a great fan of Wingman (Sticking it everywhere, be it cobra-ptl list, hwk support troll or anything) I'm not as concerned about the stresshog as an ace-counter.

I'm just concerned that it's JUST_ANOTHER_REBEL_TOY. Although I have every rebel expansion except for Tantive I'm not playing rebels, except for bat-wedge. because he's finally awesome and is a fix for boostwing I'm always ranting about

It's a rebel-only, super points-efficient and not skill-shabby toy.

You pay quarter of your list points and get a mind-defying counter to half of meta. Wow.

Being huge Y-wing fan and even greater fan of BTL Y-wings I've tested the thing even before the TLT hit the meta.

And it was good then. It required some positioning, it could be countered if the ace planned correctly.

Not cheese.

Now it's completely and utterly an auto-include with R2-3 AND not sucking at point efficiency. I've jousted Kihraxez, X and Bs to death with it. Because it's actually a good jouster on it's own. 

Add the fact that I try to bring a wingman with me everytime and POW, the thing can k-turn without giving a **** about it's "close to nothing" greens

It takes care of acewing\boostwing? Okay, fine, great! BRAVO!

Is it a pinpoint one-niche tool like PS-altering HWK? Nope.

Is it costly for giving such utility? Nope.

Is it at pasr with other stress\ion control options? Nope.

SHould control be a rebel niche as well? Hell nope.

Rule through fear is Empire motto.

Dirty gaming, intimidation and enforcers are a scum thing. 

*puts out the fire at the lower deck

Edited by Warpman

It's a Y-Wing. Out fly it.

sure, bro, cool story

It's no secret that I've been flying rebel control for a while, a good friend of mine, who happened to finish one spot ahead me at the Milwaukee regional flies quite a a bit of aces. I've triple stressed his soontir on more than one occasion only to see him use white maneuvers to get out of arc clear his stress and come around and kill my remaining ships. Good play is the secret here.

Use your white maneuvers to get out of trouble or use the rest of your list to kill the hog. You know, maybe don't build an entire list that's thwarted by steess?

Edited by catachanninja

Good point.  So many players, the minute they cop a stress, immediately seek to clear it (i.e. "go green".)

Sometimes, it is much better to just keep the stress and disengage.  Get out of the furball, seek cover and spend a turn or two clearing stress in safety, then re-engage.  And in something like an interceptor, pulling a white 5 when your opponent expected a green 2 could be enough to get you out of arc for two turns, allowing you to safely clear your stress, and then come back around.

In the meantime, use the rest of your squad to provide cover, and hopefully catch your opponent off-guard, with their stresshog (and other ships) facing where they expected a stress Soontir to be, but instead find themselves looking at dead space with other ships on their tail.

Edited by Dr Zoidberg

(the only thing that pisses me off greater that rebel biased gamedesign is a rebel biased worlds commenters...)

Wait til you see the movie!

0v4xt9.jpg

And I thought it wouldn't get worse

nah, every X-wing but Poe sucks

batwedge is not as simplistic and over-reliable-dice-irrelevant as poe

but he's fun and he hits like a truck filled with YV-666s

Edited by Warpman

Seems that the people complaining about Stresshog seem to boil down to one type of player: "Waaaah, my super-ace shouldn't be affected by stress because then he can't be a super-ace!"

Learn to deal with it.

I've played games where stresshog has been taken down in one round of firing before it could even get a shot off.

I've played games where stresshog stressed Fel.....and then Fell was able to bug-out and get far beyond Stresshog and my other ships and then bleed the stress.

I've played games where stresshog stressed Fel....and Fel got blasted to pieces.

And I've played against stresshog...where I've both been stressed and got around the stress.

Point is...you don't like stresshog?  Get good.  That simple.  You can outfly the Stresshog.  You can learn to not rely on your super-special snowflake of an ace to make three actions a turn and be untouchable.

And the whole "It should hit to stress!"  You just don't want your Fel to be stressed because you know a Y-Wing won't hit it with just 2 attack at range 3.  So really you don't want the mechanic to be changed for "realism"...you want it changed because your Fel has been getting neutered and you don't like it.

Seems that the people complaining about Stresshog seem to boil down to one type of player: "Waaaah, my super-ace shouldn't be affected by stress because then he can't be a super-ace!"

Learn to deal with it.

I've played games where stresshog has been taken down in one round of firing before it could even get a shot off.

I've played games where stresshog stressed Fel.....and then Fell was able to bug-out and get far beyond Stresshog and my other ships and then bleed the stress.

I've played games where stresshog stressed Fel....and Fel got blasted to pieces.

And I've played against stresshog...where I've both been stressed and got around the stress.

Point is...you don't like stresshog? Get good. That simple. You can outfly the Stresshog. You can learn to not rely on your super-special snowflake of an ace to make three actions a turn and be untouchable.

And the whole "It should hit to stress!" You just don't want your Fel to be stressed because you know a Y-Wing won't hit it with just 2 attack at range 3. So really you don't want the mechanic to be changed for "realism"...you want it changed because your Fel has been getting neutered and you don't like it.

Amen brother, Edited by catachanninja

I think Whisper is pretty good at staying out of arc of a single BTL-A4 Y-wing and eattign that for breakfast. Same for Soontir besides the more stress you give him the more focus tokens he takes.

My only question is when will scum get the whole stressing and controlling mechanic. 4-lom I guess is pretty good at sharing stress but he has to get so close it will hardly work. Tractor beam for 1 stress and 1 less agility? Thanks for the extra red dice. A red die for a green die is a good trad any day, just ask the TIE advanced in wave 1.

Feeling kinda noobish here... but what the heck is a stresshog?  I play for fun and don't read every meta- super build- gotta-win thread here.  But if I drop by for a quick read I get just a bit confused.  You guys are speaking a foreign language!

Feeling kinda noobish here... but what the heck is a stresshog?  I play for fun and don't read every meta- super build- gotta-win thread here.  But if I drop by for a quick read I get just a bit confused.  You guys are speaking a foreign language!

Gold Squadron Pilot with Twin Laser Turret, R3-A2, and BTL-A4.

Capable of putting two stress on anything it can shoot at range 2 or 3, and isn't exactly a slouch with raw damage, either.