Sign in to follow this  
Daeglan

BB-8 Would you just use the Astromech stats?

We don’t see BB-8 fly, or use magnetic devices to attach himself to a ship, so he wouldn’t be any good in zero-g or operating in a vacuum on the outside hull of a ship.

He seems to be good at astrogation, but I didn’t see any evidence of him having the ability to repair ships or other technology, and I didn’t see any evidence of a Scomp or other mechanism to mechanically interface with systems as we have seen R2 and Chopper do.

He seems to be more of a companion who can also do astrogation, has a holographic projector, and can store data chips in an retractable compartment.

I don’t know that I’d reduce any of his attributes from the astromech standard, but I would be inclined to reduce or eliminate a number of skills and/or other talents or pieces of equipment that we have seen R2 and Chopper manifest.

R2 didn't show his full capabilities on his first appearance. It's quite possible BB has some hidden features too.

True enough, so you’d need to decide what he might be capable of that he has not yet demonstrated.

IMO, BB-8 has shown more of a quirky “cute” personality than R2 did at a comparable point, but we currently can’t be sure of where that’s going to lead us.

He is half the size of an R2 so I guess he would have fewer tools.

Where a R2-unit has a more generalistic skillset and can be a good deckhand to have on a freighter or capital ship, a slicer, support in ground combat, a starfighter copilot, a handy astrogator and even an infiltrator (C1-10P especially), I guess the BB-unit series is probably more specialized, resulting in the reduced size, which has several practical reasons.

I'd still prefer a R2-unit over them.

I'd just use the default astromech stat block for a BB-series astromech.

As for being smaller, he's also 30-plus years more advanced than the R2-series, which has been around since at least decade prior to the Clone Wars and was common enough to not draw too much attention other than "hey, an astrodroid!" when on Tatooine.  So it's quite possible that the BB-series is more recent, and taking advantage of technological development that allows more tools to be packed into a smaller space.  The R2-series was also noted for having a lot of "empty space" to permit owners to further customize the droid to suit their particular needs, so it's quite possible that the BB-series decided to give up that "empty space" and instead make the droid smaller and better able to handle odd terrains... such as stairs (the bane of R2 units and Daleks alike).

Overall I think a R unit would be more useful. IMO the BB unit would better at stealth and hiding. This also make it better at using it's mechanical abilities in smaller places. Plus with it's puppy eye, it would have good charm/charisma. Just like when it befriended Rey.

Edited by tank0625

We don’t see BB-8 fly, or use magnetic devices to attach himself to a ship, so he wouldn’t be any good in zero-g or operating in a vacuum on the outside hull of a ship.

Did he not have the grapples he fired to stabilize himself? Or am I getting mixed up with something else? (Sadly, that happens more than I'd like...)

To piggyback on Donovan's thoughts, considering how BB-8 is built, the entire ball portion could conceivably house different tools and goodies. He would just need to reorient himself a bit to get the proper section facing out. Literally every surface of his lower body could be hiding panels, compartments, tools, etc. If you're going to base capability on size, consider 1990's cell phones to today's iPhone or Android. They're much smaller, but significantly more advanced. Or Yoda. Judge him by his size, do you?  ;) 

And Pyrus, he did for sure fire grapples to stabilize himself inside the Falcon. With R2, we didn't know he could magnetically attach himself to a ship's hull or fly until the prequels, so it's very likely BB-8 has a few tricks we haven't seen yet.

If you are planning on moving the timeline ahead 30 years my best advice is to just re-skin everything, keeping all the attributes, skills, and abilities the same for everything (Droids, Stormtroopers, ships etc.). Just change the fluff and maybe add a special or more appropriate ability (like the grapples for BB8 and a Gunner position for the New TIEs). This way you don't have the problem of power creep and issues of re-balancing stuff.

If you are planning on pitting one generation of equipment against another then just add a Boost Die to the more modern one when making Opposed checks. It's a simple solution that I think would adequately represent the benefits of more modern equipment without re-specing everything.

The Visual Dictionary also calls out that all the circular modules outlined with orange circles can be swapped out with other modules. If you want to scale back some of the tools from the astromech because of size/encumbrance concerns you could create different packages for different tasks. If you want to be that fluffy.

Edited by Tikanni

I would think he would have a scomp link as that is how a droid interfaces with the socket. He also had manipulators and a torch which makes me think he has tools. He definitely has a loyal puppy attitude where as R2 is loyal dog. 

. . . . and Chopper is a cat.

Yes Chopper is definitely a cat. 

Yes Chopper is definitely a cat.

A cat with a sense of humor and an attitude. I like that cat! ;)

So. . . . pretty much a cat.

"He was the worst cat!"

"By which you mean he was a cat, amirite? Hahah.... guys? C'mon!"