Sign in to follow this  
MrHatsForCats

Thoughts on fate points refresh rate

So I start GMing my first game sunday and i had an idea to change around the way fate points are handle. The way it's set up now encourages shorter sessions for the simple fact that the players get to refresh their points regardless of how much progress they have made, i'm not saying my players will abuse this it's just what it does. I have also just come off of playing WFRP and that created a whole different problem in that the value of fate points would veary, for example if the party was traveling the days passed quickly and so fate points would be refreshed multiply times in a single sessions and could be used a lot more freely. If on the other hand we were dungeon crawling we could go into the next session before we got to rest and i found this inconsistency to be rather off putting.

My plan to deal with this is to set up something a kin to checkpoints in the plot where after my players a complete a section of the story i reset their fate points. Now for my actual question i'm starting out with desolation of the dead what would be some good places to put these points. I'm thinking  as they enter the Fayne Mortuariud, as they enter Gantry,the zombie attack on Gantry, the start of the journey down the sump river, and right before the boss fight begins. plus a secret one where if they rp praying to the emperor.

Now, I've never played 5th edition Dnd, so I don't know if it is still present but in 4th edition they had the milestone system for their "action points" which could take the role you were thinking.

To translate the system into fate points it would work something like this: at the start of each extended rest (or more likely at the start of each session) you start with a single fate point. 

4th ed titled each "encounter" as a milestone. As the DM, you could pre-plan each and every milestone a little more liberally. At the end of each milestone all of the players will receive a fate point. Players stop receiving fate points in this way when they have received a number of points equal to their threshold. If the players have not used all of their fate points by the end of the session, then they are lost when everyone resets back to one.

This balances out the philosophy of wanting shorter sessions, because they will need to get more done in order to ensure that they get their full threshold of fate. It is also better than just resting for fate because it encourages Acolytes to continue investigating instead of stopping and resting.

Now the big issue is that it's going to be a bit more work on your part. You will need to keep good track of the milestones and pay more attention to what constitutes "an encounter". On top of that, you will need to remember your players thresholds, and ensure that each session you give out enough fate points to fill the biggest threshold in the party (otherwise you are nerfing them). Whether you would do this by having plenty of milestones, or by giving out multiple fate points at some milestones is your decision.

Interestingly, this system also encourages the players to spread out their fate points across the session instead of all at once.

Edited by Oridaellin

It's an interesting idea for sure i might end up trying several ways of doing it and just see what works best for my players and me.

If you want to have your players a little more on their toes... do not reset those precious little FP. Give them their full set at the start of the game, and tell them that this is likely to be it until you as the GM decides that the current mission/adventure/whateverYOUcallit is over.

In my group, this has lead to the people thinking twice and thrice before using one, usually safing them up for "the final". Some ended up with FP they never used in the whole adventure, and after a while they got cautious about judging how important success in a given situation is. Of course, that is not everbodies cup of tea.

It's an interesting idea for sure i might end up trying several ways of doing it and just see what works best for my players and me.

If you want to have your players a little more on their toes... do not reset those precious little FP. Give them their full set at the start of the game, and tell them that this is likely to be it until you as the GM decides that the current mission/adventure/whateverYOUcallit is over.

In my group, this has lead to the people thinking twice and thrice before using one, usually safing them up for "the final". Some ended up with FP they never used in the whole adventure, and after a while they got cautious about judging how important success in a given situation is. Of course, that is not everbodies cup of tea.

Sounds fun but my guys are new to dark heresy so ill think ill go easy on them. but maybe in the future.