Sign in to follow this  
McFoy

Vitriol Thread, spew it & brew it

You may. Ideally the diatribe from before would end up here and continue to provide interesting reads, alternatively it instigates another, most likely it gets ignored. The possibilities are endless. 

Edited by McFoy

People who use big words to sound smart are annoying. Especially when they make pointless threads like this one.

Glad to see you getting into the spirit of things here. You should try to be more scathing though.

Very well: I shall assert my male privilege to decree that you have exceeded your allotted troll-funk by exactly 1050 funkletons.

To the sarlacc pit with you, sir!

Indiana_dunes_63749.jpg

I'll go for now, no one wants to bite. Work's over anyways.

Very well: I shall assert my male privilege to decree that you have exceeded your allotted troll-funk by exactly 1050 funkletons.

To the sarlacc pit with you, sir!

Indiana_dunes_63749.jpg

Thats a symbol of female dominance! It should instead be a giant - no wait, a morphing of both! Hold on, didn't they do that for the special edition?

Do I have issues?

Just a quick reminder for everyone: you can create a list of blocked users.

(1) Click on your profile picture anywhere on the site. It will be in the upper right-hand corner of the forum if it's nowhere else.

(2) Click the teal "Edit My Profile" button on the right side of the screen.

(3) Select the "'Ignore' Preferences" tab from the list on the left.

(4) Scroll down until you see the box labeled "Add a new user to my list". Enter the name of the person whose posts you'd prefer not to see, and check the box labeled "Posts".

(5) Click the teal "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the screen.

People who use big words to sound smart are annoying. 

Diatribe and Instigate aren't big words though. Arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekeringsmaatschappij is a big word. Meervoudigepersoonlijkheidsstoornis is another.

;)

That's something about our languuage, we tend to combine words while the english leave things seperate.

I guess it makes it easier to score lots of points in (Dutch) Scrabble.

Dutch is of course the far superior language. ;) (Nou ja, Nederlands en Middelhoogduits ;) )

Diatribe and Instigate aren't big words though. Arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekeringsmaatschappij is a big word. Meervoudigepersoonlijkheidsstoornis is another.

;)

I had to google translate that, and lo and behold thats an actual word! How long does it take to say that?

;)

I had to google translate that, and lo and behold thats an actual word! How long does it take to say that?

Quite a bit less than the time Google Translate takes to say it. Though I'm usually a fast speaker. :P.

Of course, you could take that arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekeringsmaatschappij and start adding stuff. 

You could make a disability insurance company association chairman election committee representative training institute.

Arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekeringsmaatschappijenverenigingsvoorzitterverkiezingscommissievertegenwoordigersopleidingsinstituut.

And so on and so forth. 

Not that anyone does that. We're not Germans.

To be far, tank was the code name for them so the Germans wouldn't know about their true purpose. Their original name was "landship" or "caterpillar machine gun destroyers"

The name tank,thankfully, just stuck.

Panzerkampfwagon (armoured wagon) is a better description than caterpillar machine gun wagon. And would often be shortened to Panzer, which would be a better comparison to tank.

Yeah guys I'm a military history writer.  I know that, i was being facetious :)

But the point still stands that german quite often does use quite lengthy 'full explanation' words and then have to slang shorten them.

Like the manufacturer nickname 'hanomag' for nearly all the SDKFZ  troop carrier series is shorter than its actual name of Sonderkraftfahrzeug (which from memory is pretty much 'special purposes vehicle') whereas to the allies they were 'halftracks'.   The fact hanomag didnt make a lot of the vehicles people call hanomag didnt seem to matter both sides called them all 'hanomags' *

The original 'tank' designation was because they were 'disguised' by referring to them as 'water tanks'.

Oddly UK tank crews these days call their tanks 'panzers', or at least my mates used to.

* as an aside its also odd that the MP40 is often called a Schmeisser depsite them actually being made by erma IRC

Edited by Gadge

By the Allies. It's probably a chase of misinformation, and of a brand name becoming more popular than the proper name.

In America people will ask for a Kleenex, instead of a tissue, regardless of the brand on hand.

*Also the straight mag they used was a Schmeisser patent

Edited by All Shields Forward

Agreed.  from doing a lot reading of first hand WWII accounts it seems that some names 'stuck'

Like nearly every AT gun encountered was referred to as an 88 even if it was a PAK50 or a 105mm howitzer as the GI or Tommy of the time didnt have the knowledge we have, a lot of axis kit was just very alien to them, may well have been brand new and when its trying to kill you you dont have time to leaf through janes defence manual to see what sort it is :)

Likewise panzer 4s (and other makes) were often called 'tigers' even by crews who should have known better.  Lone riflemen were quite often written up in reports as 'snipers' even though they were not actually military snipers, just a guy taking pot shots

Its why you have to be very careful reading a lot of primary source as you can have one guy say he was fighting SS tigers and you know for a fact that there were no SS heavy tank units for miles around where he was...  he was fighting german heer wearing camo smocks (lets say 21st panzer) using say panzer 4s but to a conscript citizen soldier it seems like the dreaded ss panzer groups.

I did read somewhere that for all our interest and over preproderence on tanks and mechanised warfare it was actually proportionately rare.   A *lot* of german and russian soldiers (much less the western allies) never saw a tank for the duration of the war.    The whermacht was 85 per cent horse drawn for most of WWII!

Germans call them Panzers, usually. And tank is just a codeword that stuck. :P.

It's not really that complicated though, it is very literal, it is exactly what it says on the tin: an armoured battle vehicle.

Every once in a while they throw a slider. In English we "take a walk" in German they"make a walk". Machen ein spatsiergang. And I do apologise for any misspellings. It's been 40+ years since I took German. The other odd one I remembered was zeugamt and zeughaus. One's a train station the other an arsenal. I think.

They also have odd phrases that jusy dont make sense to us.

A german friend of mine once said something about 'walking the red path' , which i think meant being grumpy or losing you temper and i'd never heard a UK phrase like that.

He also used to say 'dont over egg the cake' as in 'dont over do it' which again i'd never heard in the uk but that at least made more sense

They also have odd phrases that jusy dont make sense to us.

A german friend of mine once said something about 'walking the red path' , which i think meant being grumpy or losing you temper and i'd never heard a UK phrase like that.

He also used to say 'dont over egg the cake' as in 'dont over do it' which again i'd never heard in the uk but that at least made more sense

"Don't over do it" is pretty common in Canada/US, typically said to people who are recovering from and illness/ injury or in any instance where they go beyond capabilities.