Sign in to follow this  
Blail Blerg

Female pilot cards - List, request and talk

It's a bit of a tangent, but I've observed that children love playing "Chewie" and doing the C-3PO guessing game. And my littlest one always looks for the astromech cards I have equipped and says, "oh, that's R2-D2's friend!" The cute factor makes a great introductory point to catch them when they're young. Maybe we do need some Ewok gliders after all.

Anyone else disturbed by the new way of thinking that everything needs to be quotas?

Nope.

Actually: I've not noticed any quotas recently. I've noticed that since the 1990s, the formal attempts at creating diversity through quota systems have decayed. But I've not noticed a new way of thinking that demands them.

However! You seem to be confused about why quota systems exist. So let me explain it.

People tend to maintain the status quo, regardless of whether it's right or not. People tend to hire and promote less-qualified people who look, sound, etc the people they have always hired and promoted. The human brain just gets stuck in a groove and it requires a conscious effort to bust outside of that groove.

A quota is one way of attempting to force brains out of that groove. It's not the only way. But it's _a_ way.

Very specifically, a quota is not "insulting to women, as it creates a system were their own merits are put second to being a woman." Rather. It lets women who are equally qualified compete against the men who are getting an unfair advantage by virtue of being men.

How do we know men are being hired and promoted above what they should merit? Look at studies of blind auditions for orchestras. Gender got much closer to parity once orchestras no longer knew if they were hiring men or women.

Anyway. This has gone on a bit to long. :)

Anyone else disturbed by the new way of thinking that everything needs to be quotas?

Nope.

Actually: I've not noticed any quotas recently. I've noticed that since the 1990s, the formal attempts at creating diversity through quota systems have decayed. But I've not noticed a new way of thinking that demands them.

And then we turn around, look at what the kids are fed with

"rebels" that is

and now, please, name the main characters.

and then name the antagonists. there are two of them, right?

and now divide them by gender, race and skin colour.

sadly, there are quotas.

we're just getting too used to them surrounding us that we stop noticing them without thinking about it.

that's the worst part of it  ^_^

And yet the "champions" of equality actively fight against equality.

As for Rebels. I'm pretty sure race is not a factor anywhere. Humans in star wars are identified by planet of origin.

Or "culture" in the case of Mandalorians. But Mandalorian is a culture than boasts members from many different species.

Complaining that there aren't enough Philippine islands natives on planet Tattooine is like complaining there aren't enough Brazilians in The Witcher 3.

Edited by Vulf

"rebels" that is

sadly, there are quotas.

we're just getting too used to them surrounding us that we stop noticing them without thinking about it.

As far as the Ghost crew, we have:

Ezra (definitely the main POV hero character.)

Kanan

Hera

Sabine

Zeb

Chopper

Depending if you count Chopper, we have either 60% (3/5) male or 66% (4/6) male.

So! Thank you for demonstrating another important point: men overestimate how much women are participating, to the point where 30% participation is felt as dominating a discussion.

As far as the antagonists go, there are many more than 2.

Citation Needed

Maybe keep your eyes open, I don't think it is my job to illuminate.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2013/04/two-dozen-women-urge-scott-to-veto-alimony-bill.html

here is a silly little example. Did you know out of the 400,000 divorced people receiving alimony in the United States, only 3% are men? Men are routinely denied from what they should be legally entitled to, and there is a cultural stigma against men seeking this form of compensation in the first place.

also, Chopper has "masculine" programming. You can count him as male.

The majority of the enemies are male. Faceless males (voiced by Stephen Blum I think!) crewing stations on the Destroyers and Cruiser of the Empire, seemingly there for the sole purpose of being eradicated through violent actions.  More of this violence against men being a socially accepted norm shoved down children's throats!

Or maybe it is just a fun science fiction show!

Edited by Vulf

Nope.

However! You seem to be confused about why quota systems exist. So let me explain it.

People tend to maintain the status quo, regardless of whether it's right or not. People tend to hire and promote less-qualified people who look, sound, etc the people they have always hired and promoted. The human brain just gets stuck in a groove and it requires a conscious effort to bust outside of that groove.

A quota is one way of attempting to force brains out of that groove. It's not the only way. But it's _a_ way.

Very specifically, a quota is not "insulting to women, as it creates a system were their own merits are put second to being a woman." Rather. It lets women who are equally qualified compete against the men who are getting an unfair advantage by virtue of being men.

How do we know men are being hired and promoted above what they should merit? Look at studies of blind auditions for orchestras. Gender got much closer to parity once orchestras no longer knew if they were hiring men or women.

Anyway. This has gone on a bit to long. :)

Pretty sure what All Shields Forward meant is the tendency for shows/movies using ethnically diverse casts to be accused of trying to meet a quota. There have been serious attempts at instituting racial quotas before but those generally met with failure. People making that accusation often fail to consider that people may have been hired because they deserved it and insist that certain people were hired to appease minority groups. 

Nope.

"rebels" that is

sadly, there are quotas.

Again, quotas used to be: 'We need X amount of white lead characters(or Will Smith) in order to fund this movie.'  Even Lucas had to pay for Redtails out of pocket because it had an entirely black cast and no studio would pick it up. The fact that non-white, non-Will Smith actors are finally getting leading roles is a positive thing, and in time it won't cause internet outrage or self-victimization.  

Oh dear.

here is a silly little example. Did you know out of the 400,000 divorced people receiving alimony in the United States, only 3% are men?

Oh dear.

Men are routinely denied from what they should be legally entitled to, and there is a cultural stigma against men seeking this form of compensation in the first place.

OH DEAR

Can we not get this thread locked because people are debating a political topic totally unrelated to the original intent? We've just recently had the mods make it clear that political discussion isn't allowed in the X-wing boards, and there's no need for this amount of vitriol besides. I mean, don't get me wrong, some of the topics brought up here are serious and worthy of discussion, but this isn't the place for an extended dialogue on a complicated political issue.

Edited by Squark

Citation Needed

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2013/04/two-dozen-women-urge-scott-to-veto-alimony-bill.html

here is a silly little example. Did you know out of the 400,000 divorced people receiving alimony in the United States, only 3% are men? Men are routinely denied from what they should be legally entitled to, and there is a cultural stigma against men seeking this form of compensation in the first place.

In fairness, there are some areas where being a man really is a disadvantage. Mostly when it comes to divorce and custody. That doesn't mean we should overlook the many ways in which it's an advantage. Most of the people I know or have spoken to that have any involvement in women's rights campaigns admit this, they just focus on larger issues. The fact that several women are speaking out against a bill isn't really a great representation. It's similar to pointing at the few people that tried to boycott Fury Road because it had feminist themes and saying they're representative of anyone who notices and cares about double standards that hurt men. 

Citation Needed

also, Chopper has "masculine" programming. You can count him as male.

The majority of the enemies are male. Faceless males (voiced by Stephen Blum I think!) crewing stations on the Destroyers and Cruiser of the Empire, seemingly there for the sole purpose of being eradicated through violent actions.  More of this violence against men being a socially accepted norm shoved down children's throats!

Or maybe it is just a fun science fiction show!

tumblr_njl8ipTgKZ1qa0n48o1_540.gif

Before this thread gets locked I'd just like to say it's been fun and I'll see you all the next time we do this. 

Edited by McFoy

Before this thread gets locked I'd just like to say it's been fun and I'll see you all the next time we do this. 

Hey, if we're lucky we'll just get a lot of scrubbed posts and a reminder to stay on topic.

Either way, let's stop feeding the fire and let the mods arrive, shall we?

Edited by Squark

Can we not get this thread locked because people are debating a political topic totally unrelated to the original intent? We've just recently had the mods make it clear that political discussion isn't allowed in the X-wing boards, and there's no need for this amount of vitriol besides. I mean, don't get me wrong, some of the topics brought up here are serious and worthy of discussion, but this isn't the place for an extended dialogue on a complicated political issue.

Please continue the diatribe here for posterity and amusement.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/199043-vitriol-thread-spew-it-brew-it/

no shitposting below this line

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Edited by McFoy

Sevrance_tann.jpg

Savor your victory while you can, forum warrior! You and your kind are soon to be modded!"

Pity the most badass female character was created for a long and unrightfully forgotten game

about truly the most epic and glorious days of SW lore.

the days FFG denied even trying to implement into the game.

Edited by Warpman

Back on topic: we need moar PROMO CARDS with our ladies.

Luke is cool, Vader is epic, but hey, why not something that pleases the eye?

Guri isn't an unlikely choice, really. There have been very few Scum promo cards, and she's one of their most popular pilots. I'd prefer N'Dru, but I'd rather have Guri than Xizor, Bossk or Kavil.

Sevrance_tann.jpg

Savor your victory while you can, forum warrior! You and your kind are soon to be modded!"

Pity the most badass female character was created for a long and unrightfully forgotten game

about truly the most epic and glorious days of SW lore.

the days FFG denied even trying to implement into the game.

I was never overly fond of Tann. Not sure why.

Still, lots of happy memories of SW:GB. Granted, since I was even worse at RTS games than I am now, a lot of those memories involve Super-Ewoks* with laser staffs, but still. Fun times.

*Remember when cheat codes were a thing?

On topic, I've been working on an Alternate Blue Ace card with Jessika Pava's* name and art, but Strange Eons doesn't have a good template for Alt art cards.

*Other things alternate cards I'm working on: "Overclocked Processors" so that IG-88 will no longer do drugs, Alternate versions of Unique Astromechs so Corran Horn can fly with "Whistler," Wedge can fly with "Gate," and Poe can have BB-8 back.

Back on topic: we need moar PROMO CARDS with our ladies.

Luke is cool, Vader is epic, but hey, why not something that pleases the eye?

Guri isn't an unlikely choice, really. There have been very few Scum promo cards, and she's one of their most popular pilots. I'd prefer N'Dru, but I'd rather have Guri than Xizor, Bossk or Kavil.

Dat Xizor promo doe

500 hrs in ms paint

6o5ZQHo.jpg