Sign in to follow this  
CrunchyDemon

Adding Hyperdrives

The players in my group stumbled across some old-as-hell-but-still-spaceworthy Delta-7 Aethersprite interceptors.  They don't have hyperdrives and there's no Hyperspace Rings left in our GM's game fiction.

That "Hyperdrive Generator" is in the book as an attachment, and it reduces your hyperdrive rating by 1.

Rules as written, we don't really have rules to set up the Hyperdrive Generator (FDCRB page 258, I think), to ships without a Hyperdrive rating, do we?

No I don't believe RAW exists for it.

Our troupe just jury rigged the system to account for it. I don't have the rules we came up with (wasn't for my fighter) but I recall us: increasing the HP cost, bumping the price significantly, needing a really good mechanic, and it started w a x3 hyperdrive rating.

Our end result was pretty harsh, but some of the ship's that don't have a hyperdrive are designed that way for a reason. It was to discourage abuse.

I'm curious what others think, now that I'm preparing to run my own game I need to make a "GM-Zypher Canon" ruling myself on the matter.

Why don't hyperdrive rings exist in the game? 

They do exist. It's in one of the Core Books for the Delta starfighters, but you can easily adapt it to any similar ship without hyperdrive capability.

We have rules for the hyperdrive rings in the F&D book.  "There aren't any left" was an in-universe call by our GM, the players in our group are totally cool with that.  One of our game's challenges has been old tech not working and the players trying to fix it.

I was just trying to verify that we don't have RAW for adding a hyperdrive to ships that don't have them. 

You guys have been helpful, thank you.

Edited by CrunchyDemon

I was just trying to verify that we don't have RAW for adding a hyperdrive to ships that don't have them. 

Yeah, per RAW you are supposed to use the rings. But I'm guessing that if your GM removed the rings from the setting is because he doesn't want you to have a starfighter with hyperspace capability yet.

In the EotE core rulebook, there's the option of an externally-mounted hyperdrive sled.  It's meant primarily for the CloakShape fighter in the same book, but the core mechanics of the sled could easily be adopted to a Delta-7 fighter.

However, the main problem is that the hyperdrive sled completely kills your handling and I believe also reduces your top speed.  I'm away from my books and not looked at the hyperdrive sled stats in a very long time, so I'll leave it to someone that can check their books to spell out the exact bonuses and penalties the sled provides.

In the EotE core rulebook, there's the option of an externally-mounted hyperdrive sled.  It's meant primarily for the CloakShape fighter in the same book, but the core mechanics of the sled could easily be adopted to a Delta-7 fighter.

However, the main problem is that the hyperdrive sled completely kills your handling and I believe also reduces your top speed.  I'm away from my books and not looked at the hyperdrive sled stats in a very long time, so I'll leave it to someone that can check their books to spell out the exact bonuses and penalties the sled provides.

Page 255 of EotE core. 10,000 credits for a Syliure-25 Hyperdrive Sled. Comes with an astromech (if reading correctly), gives class 2 hyperdrive but reduces handling by 2 and speed by 1. Can be jettisoned and reattached in space. It states it is, "good for five hyperspace jumps". I'm not sure if this just means the astromech has data for 5 jumps or the thing is actually worn out after 5 jumps? If so that's costly at 2,000 credits per jump.

Page 255 of EotE core. 10,000 credits for a Syliure-25 Hyperdrive Sled. Comes with an astromech (if reading correctly), gives class 2 hyperdrive but reduces handling by 2 and speed by 1. Can be jettisoned and reattached in space. It states it is, "good for five hyperspace jumps". I'm not sure if this just means the astromech has data for 5 jumps or the thing is actually worn out after 5 jumps? If so that's costly at 2,000 credits per jump.

I always read that as it was good for 5 hyperspace jumps before needing refueled/tuneup - it was just defining the consumables rating for the sled since it doesn't actually have a duration like 2 weeks or 5 months.

As for the "5 hyperspace jumps" limit, I'd see that as just needing to restock/refuel after the 5th jump instead of needing to buy the sled all over again.

Of course, there's nothing saying the GM couldn't allow the sled to be a permanent attachment for roughly the same credit cost.  The Delta-7 already allows for an astormech droid, so have the sled require a 1 hard point and then apply the rest of the modifiers to the ship, with a Consumables value of 1 week.  The loss of Handling and Speed for an interceptor-class fighter like the Delta-7 is enough of a trade-off for getting a permanent hyperdrive.

So from my point of view as a game master there is a reason for you coming across something as iconic to the Jedi order as an Aethersprite , it basically signals your allegiance and if you're not opened fire on right out of the gate by imperial forces you're at least going to get "pulled over" and have a long talk.

As for them not having any drive rings, well that's just a matter of you guys building them, if you know they existed you can maybe get your hands on the schematics or something similar and make them yourself at some silly, inflated cost.

But mainly this thing screams plot and that he's trying to keep you in the same system, so cool ship, can't jump... There be plot in these here waters laddy.

So from my point of view as a game master there is a reason for you coming across something as iconic to the Jedi order as an Aethersprite , it basically signals your allegiance and if you're not opened fire on right out of the gate by imperial forces you're at least going to get "pulled over" and have a long talk.

As for them not having any drive rings, well that's just a matter of you guys building them, if you know they existed you can maybe get your hands on the schematics or something similar and make them yourself at some silly, inflated cost.

But mainly this thing screams plot and that he's trying to keep you in the same system, so cool ship, can't jump... There be plot in these here waters laddy.

Nah, I mean, I wasn't going to get that granular, largely because I don't anticipate many folks on these forums being that interested in the plot of my group's game.

But what had happened was, GM said we found these Aethersprites, said they didn't have Hyperspace Rings, but the GM did say, "they do have hyper drives though, they got them from somewhere..."  And we players are happy and all is well. 

Then I went to OggDude's generator, added the Aethersprite to my character sheet, then went looking to add a Hyperdrive Attachment like my GM said we had, and realized the RAW didn't support adding a Hyperdrive to a non-Hyperdrive ship.  Hence I came here.