Sign in to follow this  
Underachiever599

Late to the game, but Omega Leader is Glorious!!

What do you guys think? Is Omega Leader a little overcosted? I mean, 26 points for damage that might be more reliable than TLT, firing at PS8. But for 24 points, you could get a PS2 Y-Wing with TLT, which gets to fire out of its arc. I'd say Omega Leader is pretty fair, but I'm still fairly new to the game compared to most of the people on this forum.

You get a lot for those 26 points - PS 8 and enormous damage resistance. A TIE with Advanced Targeting Computer can tear a Y-Wing a new one once the shields are down, but Omega Leader with a lock shuts down ATC entirely. Same thing for Soontir Fel's extra focus - worthless, Fire Control System - who cares, C-3P0 - countered, and other offensive and defensive buffs. 

Omega Leader gives you tremendous value for the cost to destroy ships one-on-one, that's his value and that goes far beyond the utility of just one TLT, but you can't take more than one OL. 

Plus, Imperials don't have the option to round out their lists with a TLT Y like the other factions. 

Sorry, I meant to type undercosted, not overcosted. Still new to using the phrase "undercosted" after flying Defenders for so long.

Well, on the flipside, OL's ability only works on one ship at a time - he's the most points-efficient closer in the game but he'll do little better versus a TIE Swarm than any other TIE/FO.

Omega Leader is only truly effective if you're good at swapping out Target Locks to whoever you're shooting/being shot by and moving so you're only attacked by that target. That takes some skill and the margin of error is thinner than for similar ships. Plus, even with Juke it'll take him forever to claw his way through targets with lots of health. I'd say he's fine where he is. 

What do you guys think? Is Omega Leader a little overcosted? I mean, 26 points for damage that might be more reliable than TLT, firing at PS8. But for 24 points, you could get a PS2 Y-Wing with TLT, which gets to fire out of its arc. I'd say Omega Leader is pretty fair, but I'm still fairly new to the game compared to most of the people on this forum.

You get a lot for those 26 points - PS 8 and enormous damage resistance. A TIE with Advanced Targeting Computer can tear a Y-Wing a new one once the shields are down, but Omega Leader with a lock shuts down ATC entirely. Same thing for Soontir Fel's extra focus - worthless, Fire Control System - who cares, C-3P0 - countered, and other offensive and defensive buffs. 

Omega Leader gives you tremendous value for the cost to destroy ships one-on-one, that's his value and that goes far beyond the utility of just one TLT, but you can't take more than one OL. 

Plus, Imperials don't have the option to round out their lists with a TLT Y like the other factions. 

Sorry, I meant to type undercosted, not overcosted. Still new to using the phrase "undercosted" after flying Defenders for so long.

Well, on the flipside, OL's ability only works on one ship at a time - he's the most points-efficient closer in the game but he'll do little better versus a TIE Swarm than any other TIE/FO.

Omega Leader is only truly effective if you're good at swapping out Target Locks to whoever you're shooting/being shot by and moving so you're only attacked by that target. That takes some skill and the margin of error is thinner than for similar ships. Plus, even with Juke it'll take him forever to claw his way through targets with lots of health. I'd say he's fine where he is. 

Thanks! That's basically what I've been telling my pal, yet he still acts like Omega Leader is unbeatable. I guess he's just one of those "Sky is falling"-type people. He loses to the same ship three times in a row, and insists it's because the ship is horribly undercosted and overpowered, rather than his builds, or flying, or even just plain bad dice. Honestly, I was worried about his last build until I one-shotted two of his ships right off the bat.

Thanks! That's basically what I've been telling my pal, yet he still acts like Omega Leader is unbeatable. I guess he's just one of those "Sky is falling"-type people. He loses to the same ship three times in a row, and insists it's because the ship is horribly undercosted and overpowered, rather than his builds, or flying, or even just plain bad dice. Honestly, I was worried about his last build until I one-shotted two of his ships right off the bat.

There's not one good build in this entire game that has only one ship, and so long as you have at least two ships then Omega Leader's ability can only affect one at a time tops. Like with Biggs, Carnor, Palob, Tarn + R7, and the rest of the "annoying" pilots, you have to understand what their limits are before you go into the game.

If he keeps trying to take Omega Leader one-on-one then he's just playing your game!

There's not one good build in this entire game that has only one ship, and so long as you have at least two ships then Omega Leader's ability can only affect one at a time tops. Like with Biggs, Carnor, Palob, Tarn + R7, and the rest of the "annoying" pilots, you have to understand what their limits are before you go into the game.

If he keeps trying to take Omega Leader one-on-one then he's just playing your game!

Precisely. I told him multiple times that his best bet was to focus fire on Omega Leader if he really felt she was that much of a threat. Then again, when the other two ships in my squad were a Defender with a Heavy Laser Cannon and the Dark Lord himself, I suppose I can understand why he'd be hesitant to do so. Still, I really hope that he'll have a more level attitude about it tomorrow when we play again. It's a lot less fun to play the game when your opponent is overreacting to a strong build. 

OL is one of my favorite pilots to play right now.  I am still trying to get the hang of her though.  This last game I played she actually survived, but I felt like my ability wasn't contributing to the rest of the squad as much as it should have been.  Essentially the ship I had TLed just ran away and played defensive (Poe).  My 4x Crackshot Omegas put down some damage but I lost one in the process and the game went to time.  I don't think this was OL's fault, but what I had paired with her...the thematic 5x TIE/fo Omega Squadron.  I probably should have dropped two of them to fit in Soontir for some extra threat.  

I think the key to OL is as a closer, like has been said, but also a sleeper early in the game.  If OL starts taking hits, she can play defensive and keep evades up.  If she is ignored, it's free Juke damage.  But the raw firepower has to come from other ships in your list to compliment her.

Sounds like your friend is a sore loser that wants easy wins with TLT. OL really isn't hard to take out and he isn't even that crazy. Just good consistent damage, which a TLT player should understand how his opponent feels because that is what he is doing aswell.

Couldn't a phantom have a chance against it because its got 4 attack dice without the need for modification and 4 defense dice(sometimes) 

It could in, but the average # of hits on 4 unmodified attack dice is 2 iirc.