Sign in to follow this  
Underachiever599

Late to the game, but Omega Leader is Glorious!!

So, I finally bought two TIE/fo blisters last night, and got to try out a squad with the new upgrades today.

I went with Vader with TIE/x1, Advanced Targeting Computer, and Juke for 32 points, Omega Leader with Comm Relay and Juke for 26 points, and two Tempest Squadron Pilots with Accuracy Correctors for 21 points apiece, for a grand total of 100 points. 

The first squad I flew against, my buddy had Kavil with TLT, IG-88B with Autoblaster and Ion Cannon, and Palob Godalhi with TLT. Between Vader's Juke and ATC and the two AC x1's, I was able to strip IG-88B's shields in the first round of combat. Omega Leader wasn't in a position to shoot at that time, but did get a target lock and had the evade banked for the next turn. IG-88 ionized one of the x1's and caused it to fly onto an asteroid the next turn. Palob and Kavil chipped away the shields of the other x1. The next round, Vader and Omega Leader managed to finish off IG-88, while the two TLT carriers finished off the x1 that wasn't on an asteroid. After that, it was a long game of cat and mouse between two TIE/x1's with a TIE/fo and a Y-Wing/HWK combo. TLT did a lot of steady damage, but in the end, I outmaneuvered the two and finished both of them off in the same round.

The second game, IG-88B was replaced with Latts Razzi with a K4 Security Droid, and Engine Upgrades for the two TLT's so they could avoid range 1 from my ships a little easier. However, this became a non-issue when during deployment, my buddy had the idea to try something he's never tried out before. He set up the fortress! YV-666 parked in a corner with the two TLT carriers facing him, all doing 1 straights and going nowhere. I decided to go with a simple straight joust at the fortress, and it was surprisingly easy to crack with Vader and Omega Leader both getting evades and target locks to trigger their ability. 

At the end of the day, Omega Leader was probably my favorite ship to fly. So many times that he couldn't modify his dice when he desperately needed to, and sooo much damage getting through because of Omega Leader's ability paired with Comm Relay and Juke. I think after these two games, Omega Leader is easily be on of my favorite pilots now.

I too flew Omega Leader (same upgrades) for the first time last week and he basically solo'd half a Falcon in one match and annihilated Vader by himself in the next one. Definitely a budget ace hunter even with a lower PS than most aces.

long live "El Presidente"!

yeah, the FO's been a gloriously fresh experience. Even Omega isn't an ace in your typical sense, he's still a Tie Fighter i.t.o defenses and maneuverability, but his ability and build make him/her the patient assassin of far more "elite" pilots

the lower PS still makes things a slight challenge, but a combination of sloop and Juke + Omega letting a Tie fighter smack thrusters at range 3 (like, holy ****, did we ever expect that to happen :o?) make it a very realistic prospect

10560495_10156317763365142_8036042459085Jake Farrel Flees in Fear

886263_10156300755825142_233564743701371

Poe Pisses His Pants

906963_10156317763560142_418759938693770

Han Hates Having Had Heavy Upgrade Investment

but his ability and build make him/her the patient assassin of far more "elite" pilots

Perfectly stated. Omega Leader is a unique blend of being a deeply unappetising target while at the same time not representing any obvious, major threat. 2 attack dice? Pshaw, sir. I said Pshaw. OL's flaw, if any, is that 2 attack dice do still fluff quite often. But you should be invested in the long game with OL on the board.

And that dial. *Crosses fingers for FO Interceptors in Ep. 8*

I'm counting the days until the TAP is released, so I can play:

Omega Leader + Juke + Comm Relay (26)

The Inquisitor + PTL + TIE v/1 + Autothrusters (31)

Omicron Group Pilot + Emperor Palpatine (29)

Wampa (14)

There are a lot of lists out there against which Wampa is effectively Imperial Biggs. And Emp + OL is murder. 

but his ability and build make him/her the patient assassin of far more "elite" pilots

Perfectly stated. Omega Leader is a unique blend of being a deeply unappetising target while at the same time not representing any obvious, major threat. 2 attack dice? Pshaw, sir. I said Pshaw. OL's flaw, if any, is that 2 attack dice do still fluff quite often. But you should be invested in the long game with OL on the board.

Wampa (14)

There are a lot of lists out there against which Wampa is effectively Imperial Biggs. And Emp + OL is murder. 

I have that exact same list ready and waiting for The Inquisitor to arrive. :)

Wampa (14)

so did a lot of people, apparently :P

stack ALL the "**** your green dice"!

dude wampa.  is all manner of dope.  

Indeed. He's my favourite of the new pilots - rack him up a targeting computer and it's amazing how nasty he can be for a pittance of points.

But yeah - Omega Leader is a brilliant ship for killing 'that one guy'. I've seen him with a Stealth Device as well as Juke/Comms Relay (one nice thing with the Tech slot is that it leaves your Modification slot free!) - that extra dice can be very nice when your opponent is stuck on unmodified dice!

To be honest, all the named TIE/fo pilots are badass. I got used to flying the TIE/ln all-stars, and I'm transferring to the First Order's new aces. You only get 4, not 6, but it's amazing how much difference the little tweaks the TIE/fo has made make when you sum them together.

Plus, Epsilon Ace. Costs practically nothing and bugs the hell out of people who use boost as a crutch because they've never learned to plan manoeuvres in advance....

Wampa (14)

so did a lot of people, apparently :P

stack ALL the "**** your green dice"!

This is exactly my issue with Omega Leader.  His point total is so awkward for me right now.  I had the same idea of Palp, Omega, Inquisitor, plus spare change.  

But I want to fly it now!

veruca-salt-now2.jpg?w=812

So how would this work?

"Omega Leader" (21)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Comm Relay (3)

Black Squadron Pilot (14) x5
Crack Shot (1)

Total: 100

Looking for a squad to fly at MM tourney next weekend and this looks attractive.  No Juke stinks but PS 10 makes it easier to target lock the correct foe.

Edit for slightly less annoying image.
Edited by gamblertuba

He's a true, blue "ace" in my book.  Really annoying when I faced him with Bossk and proceeded to have him harass my space lizard, preventing me from pumping out that "Bossk" damage.

Thankfully, I rolled with an insane amount of luck (crit crit hit hit TWICE in a row) to get him off the board, but without that luck it would've probably gone a lot differently.

He's definitely a pilot that punishes certain lists or ships.  Against a generic swarm, he's only "meh" (unless you can get him into the late game!).  Throw him against Darth Vader or the Falcon?  Then he's just brutal.  I look forward to flying him plenty in the future.  I'm also curious to see how he performs with a Stealth Device, though at 29 points he starts to become steep for what's meant to be a "budget" ace, and I can't imagine many situations where you don't auto-include Juke+Comms Relay on him.  Guess a cheaper build could throw PTL on him.

So how would this work?

"Omega Leader" (21)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Comm Relay (3)

Black Squadron Pilot (14) x5
Crack Shot (1)

Total: 100

No Juke stinks but PS 10 makes it easier to target lock the correct foe.

I think you're giving up too much on Omega Leader by omitting Juke. OL's damage output drops hard without permaCrack.

I'd replace a single Crack Shot BSP + VI  with Juke and either Wampa or Chaser.

TIE Fighter: Black Squadron Pilot (14)

Crack Shot (1)

TIE Fighter: Black Squadron Pilot (14)

Crack Shot (1)

TIE Fighter: · "Howlrunner" (18)

Crack Shot (1)

TIE/fo Fighter: · "Zeta Leader" (20)

Wired (1)

Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Weapons Guidance (2)

TIE/fo Fighter: · "Omega Leader" (21)

Juke (2)

Comm Relay (3)

-- TOTAL ------- 99/100p. --

Destroy all them rebel scum!

Since the FO-Fighter already is kind of a cross between the Fighter and the Interceptor, I'm hoping for something more like an Interceptor/Defender hybrid. Something really fast and hard hitting, with a full set of green 3-forwards, 4-5-straights and 3-sloops.

Since the FO-Fighter already is kind of a cross between the Fighter and the Interceptor, I'm hoping for something more like an Interceptor/Defender hybrid. Something really fast and hard hitting, with a full set of green 3-forwards, 4-5-straights and 3-sloops.

I was just taking the leap in awesomeness from the basic TIE to the FO, and imagining the frankly butt-clenching extrapolation of having an Interceptor as the base.

My butt was pretty clenched, let me tell you.

I would, however, totally settle for an Int/Def hybrid with white s-loops. Good thinking ;)

So, second night on the table with Omega Leader. I have to say, she is just nasty. I almost felt dirty when playing with her.

My buddy ran two Syndicate Thugs with TLTs and Unhinged, a Cartel Spacer with an Ion Cannon, and Palob with an Ion Cannon Turret, Moldy Crow, and Recon Spec for 100 points. I changed up my squad slightly, keeping Omega Leader with Juke and Comm Relay, along with Vader with x1, ATC, and Juke. However, I replaced the two AC x1's with Colonel Vessery with Heavy Laser Cannon. I figured, since he'll be flying alongside two ships that will perpetually have target locks, he'd have a pretty good chance of doing more damage than the x1's, in exchange for dying faster. 

The game started off slow, first round he banked two focuses with Palob, while I banked an evade with Omega Leader. Second round, we were just barely out of range to attack, by a matter of millimeters. He was hugging the asteroids, hoping to outmaneuver me in the asteroid field in the center of the map. His ships didn't last that long. 

In the beginning of round 3, I managed to line up a shot on Palob with both Omega Leader and Vessery, while Vader got into range one of his M3-A, then Vader target locked and evaded. Opening of combat, Vader rolled two hits and a crit, then added the crit through ATC. The Cartel Spacer rolled one evade. Which went to an eyeball from Juke. Aaand then Omega Leader rolled two hits, and used her ability to turn Palob's one evade into an eyeball. Then Vessery rolled three hits, and used his free target lock to reroll the last dice, for a total of four hits. He blanked on his evade dice.

After that, it was my three ships against two TLT Unhinged Y-Wings. The Y-Wings managed to burn down Omega Leader pretty quickly, but just didn't have a chance against Vessery and Vader working together. Vader lost his shields, and that was about it. 

A while after the game, we realized that Palob should've survived the first round of combat. He was in range 2 of Omega Leader, so he would have stolen her evade, meaning her Juke wouldn't have worked, and he could've used to the evade to survive Vessery. However, he would've just had one hull left, and we both agreed he was in no position to make any difference in the battle. If he'd ionized Omega Leader or Vessery, they still would've had shots the next turn, and Vader had an asteroid between him and Palob, in addition to his evade token. 

After that game, my pal started to get a bit distressed by Omega Leader. He's pretty convinced that she's sorely undercosted. I keep insisting that she's not too tough to burn down if he focuses fire on her in the first round of combat. A big part of his loss this game was sheer luck of the dice on my part. We're going to be trying again tomorrow with the same squads to see if his will do any better the next time around. 

What do you guys think? Is Omega Leader a little undercosted? I mean, 26 points for damage that might be more reliable than TLT, firing at PS8. But for 24 points, you could get a PS2 Y-Wing with TLT, which gets to fire out of its arc. I'd say Omega Leader is pretty fair, but I'm still fairly new to the game compared to most of the people on this forum.

Edit: I accidentally typed overcosted when I meant undercosted. Guess I'm so used to flying TIE/x1's and Defenders the the concept of undercosted is still too new for me.

Edited by Underachiever599

What do you guys think? Is Omega Leader a little overcosted? I mean, 26 points for damage that might be more reliable than TLT, firing at PS8. But for 24 points, you could get a PS2 Y-Wing with TLT, which gets to fire out of its arc. I'd say Omega Leader is pretty fair, but I'm still fairly new to the game compared to most of the people on this forum.

You get a lot for those 26 points - PS 8 and enormous damage resistance. A TIE with Advanced Targeting Computer can tear a Y-Wing a new one once the shields are down, but Omega Leader with a lock shuts down ATC entirely. Same thing for Soontir Fel's extra focus - worthless, Fire Control System - who cares, C-3P0 - countered, and other offensive and defensive buffs. 

Omega Leader gives you tremendous value for the cost to destroy ships one-on-one, that's his value and that goes far beyond the utility of just one TLT, but you can't take more than one OL. 

Plus, Imperials don't have the option to round out their lists with a TLT Y like the other factions. 

What do you guys think? Is Omega Leader a little overcosted? I mean, 26 points for damage that might be more reliable than TLT, firing at PS8. But for 24 points, you could get a PS2 Y-Wing with TLT, which gets to fire out of its arc. I'd say Omega Leader is pretty fair, but I'm still fairly new to the game compared to most of the people on this forum.

You get a lot for those 26 points - PS 8 and enormous damage resistance. A TIE with Advanced Targeting Computer can tear a Y-Wing a new one once the shields are down, but Omega Leader with a lock shuts down ATC entirely. Same thing for Soontir Fel's extra focus - worthless, Fire Control System - who cares, C-3P0 - countered, and other offensive and defensive buffs. 

Omega Leader gives you tremendous value for the cost to destroy ships one-on-one, that's his value and that goes far beyond the utility of just one TLT, but you can't take more than one OL. 

Plus, Imperials don't have the option to round out their lists with a TLT Y like the other factions. 

Sorry, I meant to type undercosted, not overcosted. Still new to using the phrase "undercosted" after flying Defenders for so long.