Sign in to follow this  
MegaSilver

New FAQs: For those Not Following the Rules Thread

Right, Omega Leader is able to modify the dice because he is not the ship that he has target locked. That is the only ship on the board that is affected by his ability. A Shuttle with Palpatine is also not affected by his ability unless target locked by him. 

And attacked by or attacking OL

"you" = the ship the upgrade is on

"you" + palpie = the shuttle

"you" + juke = Omega Leader (his ability only specifies enemy ships that he has locked)

OL does nothing to stop Juke from working, as he is modifying his target's dice (as opposed to his target modifying himself)

And by the same reasoning the Emperor shouldn't be affected. 

If OL attacks Vader while having a target lock, the emperor should be able to change the dice. It specifically says so on the Emperor card that it is a different ship whose dice you are modifying, whereas OL only prohibits the defender from modifying their dice. External factors should be allowed to modify.

The emperor is worded differenty than, say, Etahn or Jan Dodonna. I should hope that that is for a reason.

this is correct, and I've written as much in my Omega L PSA

an errata will be needed to overwrite RAW

except in the case in which OL TLs and attacks or is attacked by the ship the emperor is on, in which case tough **** for the emperor

Edited by ficklegreendice

"you" = the ship the upgrade is on

"you" + palpie = the shuttle

"you" + juke = Omega Leader (his ability only specifies enemy ships that he has locked)

OL does nothing to stop Juke from working, as he is modifying his target's dice (as opposed to his target modifying himself)

And by the same reasoning the Emperor shouldn't be affected. 

If OL attacks Vader while having a target lock, the emperor should be able to change the dice. It specifically says so on the Emperor card that it is a different ship whose dice you are modifying, whereas OL only prohibits the defender from modifying their dice. External factors should be allowed to modify.

The emperor is worded differenty than, say, Etahn or Jan Dodonna. I should hope that that is for a reason.

this is correct, and I've written as much in my Omega L PSA

an errata will be needed to overwrite RAW

Is that worth it though? Wouldn't it just be easier to let it stand? It's a marginal case after all. 

Otherwise you'd have to rewrite the Emperor to something along the lines of 

Once per round, a friendly ship may change one die result to any other. 

Could be done but it would probably have farther reaching consequences and seriously take away from the fluff of the Emperor influencing the universe through the Force.

...but it has been ruled on, and Palpatine cannot modify the dice of a ship Omega Leader has target locked. 

Not in any FAQ that I've seen. 

And if during a tournament the opposing player would complain saying an email posted in a thread somewhere over on Reddit  supposedly shows that the Emperor doesn't work while the cards as written obviously show that it would, then what?

...but it has been ruled on, and Palpatine cannot modify the dice of a ship Omega Leader has target locked. 

And if during a tournament the opposing player would complain saying an email posted in a thread somewhere over on Reddit  supposedly shows that the Emperor doesn't work while the cards as written obviously show that it would, then what?

Then the TO rules.

"I never broke the Law! I am the law!" - TO

People on this forum seem happy enough to accept email rulings on other cases, so why is this any different?

I suppose it doesn't really matter until the FAQ is updated since the rulings will be made by the TO in each case, who should make impartial judgments as best he understands the rules, but I would expect them to follow the direction the designers have been quoted on, wouldn't you?

Where? I've seen several people claim this but I haven't seen the actual email yet.

but I would expect them to follow the direction the designers have been quoted on, wouldn't you?

Not if the designers are being stupid.

And so you go to tournament A where the TO has been reading random threads on Reddit and stumbled on an email and you get result A.

Then you go to tournament B where the TO actually has more to do in his life and isn't aware of the email, he looks at the cards and says B.

That's a load of fun that is.

There's a discussion on Nova Squad's FB page where one of the designers has been quoted on the ruling. I also saw another different source a while ago but I can't remember where...

Im sure with all the rulings that have had to be made an updated FAQ will be out p soon though, so our minds will be put at ease soonish. 

but I would expect them to follow the direction the designers have been quoted on, wouldn't you?

Not if the designers are being stupid.

And so you go to tournament A where the TO has been reading random threads on Reddit and stumbled on an email and you get result A.

Then you go to tournament B where the TO actually has more to do in his life and isn't aware of the email, he looks at the cards and says B.

That's a load of fun that is.

Well tbf, even if the designers are being stupid, if they make a ruling it is still a ruling (when it makes the FAQ to actually be enforceable I guess)

I also think it reasonable that the TO could not look at reddit or whatever and rule B anyway

There's a discussion on Nova Squad's FB page where one of the designers has been quoted on the ruling. I also saw another different source a while ago but I can't remember where...

How is anyone supposed to keep up with that? Follow 20 different channels in the hopes that somewhere, somehow you might pick up some relevant information?

And while you build your squad with that information, your opponent hasn't and so she is at a disadvantage.

That's no way to run a competitive game.