Sign in to follow this  
MegaSilver

New FAQs: For those Not Following the Rules Thread

So where in that do you see pilot abilities? You said how wrong I was, where exactly is it?

The fact that you don't get what precedence is... Doesn't actually help your argument at all. This is not a new ruling, it is simply extending the ruling we all really knew mattered to it's logical conclusion.

Okay, now I understand where he's coming from. But, that being said, I'm going to second VanorDM here. Precedent is a key part of any rules system, and a ruling taking precedent into account is perfectly normal.

Which is what worries everyone about the Raider-class Corv. and its illegal titles.

Is not allowing Astromechs to be taken in Salvaged Astromechs upgrade slots not also a logical conclusion? They may have different slightly different upgrade icons, but TIE Fighters and TIE/fos have different ship icons. The Salvaged Astromech Icon looks to contain the entirety of the Astromech Icon. It has the same colors... it has a little robot...

What? The astromech and salvaged astromech have very clearly different icons. Similar, but CLEARLY DIFFERENT.

The Raider has nothing to do with GSC's since it's not legal for those tournaments.

The TAP is unreleased and also not legal for said GSC's until such time occurs. That time of course will likely see a new FAQ to address the new ships and mechanics like we normally get when a new release takes place. Until those ships hit store shelves somewhere around 3 weeks +/- from now these emails help fill in some gaps.

I also believe that some rulings that are made via email responses may never make the FAQ. I could be wrong about that but these situations have been very much a part of this games history.

The example of the HLC's not converting to hits from crits when locked by OL is a great example of the main issue at hand. This is not by any means a rule change. The email response merely clarifies that the process of changing those critical hits to hits is considered a dice modification. Yes it happens outside of the normal window but that is of no consequence. This is nothing more than a clarification to something that never had a reason to be asked before.

This topic is only pertinent to rules clarifications in regard to GSC's. Anything else really doesn't matter at this point.

Edited by Galactic Funk

There is no errata needed for ship type restrictions

What they need to FAQ is the shiptype definitions of two-card epic ships

Both the gr75 and gonzati have ZERO issue with their titles

BOTH the cr90 and raider do

Epic is, however, a side show at best and we shouldn't making the shiptype definitions of other ships any less explicit. Either you contain the entirety or you do not. Simple and easy to remember

The TAPs ruling was obvious and intentional, at least to anyone who read the rules reference and/or knew anything about his broken tie/x1 is outside of literally THE least efficient ship in the game

As for Omega L v HLC, his ability blocks because clthe Golden Rules state card abilities and scenario rules with "cannot" trump everything. FFG is just clarifying that point

What was this so called nerf to big ships like the MF brobots , etc. I heard somewhere. Sorry, I have been focused on Armada for a long time.

It's a scoring change. Large-base ship give half MoV* when they are at half or fewer HP. So If I've done 5 damage to a 58-point Dash Rendar during the game, I get 29 points at the end of the game. The ruling was intended to make "Point-fortressing" with highly mobile and defensive large ships less attractive.

*Margin of Victory. It's used for determining who makes the final cut in the event people have the same number of tournament points.

Edited by Squark

What was this so called nerf to big ships like the MF brobots , etc. I heard somewhere.

If you do half of the ship's total "HP" (hull + shields) you get half the point value for that ship when it comes time to figure MoV and who wins if the match goes to time.

So a 54 point Han Solo that has lost all it's shields, and has 2 damage cards (7 total damage) is worth 27 points to the other guy.

There are so many rules questions answered through email. Would it kill him to just register an account and address those questions in the official community?

That would a) be great for community building and show some support, B) save him some trouble and time answering multiple emails on the same question and C) make his answers directly available to all, without any doubt as to the source.

All these rulings and still nothing about Palpatine versus Omega Leader. My gut says Palpatine can modify the dice of a ship locked by Omega Leader (because the locked ship is the one prevented from modifying), but I can see the arguments the other way. It would just be nice to have an official answer.

Would it kill him to just register an account and address those questions in the official community?

It might get him fired... I know Alex has an account, I saw him in the list of people reading a thread once.

But apparently FFG has a policy of not posting on these forms. Plus given how the system works, you fill out a question and it gets emailed to someone, so naturally they respond via email. In fact they likely get asked a lot of questions that we never see because that person doesn't actually post here, and so they'd not see the answer.

Finally, while I take their answer as official it is still subject to change.

Would it kill him to just register an account and address those questions in the official community?

It might get him fired... I know Alex has an account, I saw him in the list of people reading a thread once.But apparently FFG has a policy of not posting on these forms.

Yeah, and that is rather... wasteful. They have a large community on a lot of their games here and it could easily be turned into a resource for them.

Ah well.

I do agree with you that these emails are a good resource, but that you should keep up with them, somehow. And if written rules contradict a mail, rules should always win out.

I think the best way to clean this up is to errata the X1 title to include a restriction that prototypes cannot equip the X1 title.  That way, they can rule that abbreviations are OK.

Frankly, it's an interesting choice that they wouldn't be. An abbreviation seems like it stands for the full word, but saves the cost of printing the entire word / makes it so you can fit the whole ship name on there.

From that perspective, it's not a rules thing. It's a practicality thing.

Maybe they realized they painted themselves into a rules corner and thought this would be a slick way out.....anyway...it is what it is.

Edited by loki_tbc

What was this so called nerf to big ships like the MF brobots , etc. I heard somewhere. Sorry, I have been focused on Armada for a long time.

It's a scoring change. Large-base ship give half MoV* when they are at half or fewer HP. So If I've done 5 damage to a 58-point Dash Rendar during the game, I get 29 points at the end of the game. The ruling was intended to make "Point-fortressing" with highly mobile and defensive large ships less attractive.

*Margin of Victory. It's used for determining who makes the final cut in the event people have the same number of tournament points.

Thank you

All these rulings and still nothing about Palpatine versus Omega Leader. My gut says Palpatine can modify the dice of a ship locked by Omega Leader (because the locked ship is the one prevented from modifying), but I can see the arguments the other way. It would just be nice to have an official answer.

Actually there was something although it didn't get picked up by the Reddit thread. It's in one of the posts in ficklegreendice's great post covering Omega Leader. I believe it came from a Facebook reply from Alex Davvy. The way it reads it basically said OL trumps the Emperor no matter what ship the Emperor is on.

So if Soontir gets TL'd by Omega Leader the Palpmobile is powerless to modify one of the Barons die results.

Again, some of these things could end up seeing tweaks but it is definitely the best info we have to go on.

Actually there was something although it didn't get picked up by the Reddit thread. It's in one of the posts in ficklegreendice's great post covering Omega Leader. I believe it came from a Facebook reply from Alex Davvy. The way it reads it basically said OL trumps the Emperor no matter what ship the Emperor is on.

So if Soontir gets TL'd by Omega Leader the Palpmobile is powerless to modify one of the Barons die results.

Again, some of these things could end up seeing tweaks but it is definitely the best info we have to go on.

If that's the intent of how it works then the Emperor really needs an errata from:

"Once per round, you may change a friendly ship's die result to any other die result. That die result cannot be modified again."

To:

"Once per round, a friendly ship may change one of its die results to any other die result. That die result cannot be modified again."

The current card text makes it clear that the ship Palpatine is in is the one performing the modification.

Of course. In fact, that one is much more clear cut; there's nothing special about the Mangler's timing, so it falls in with the rest of the attacker's modifications after the defender is finished.

If that's the intent of how it works then the Emperor really needs an errata from:

"Once per round, you may change a friendly ship's die result to any other die result. That die result cannot be modified again."

To:

"Once per round, a friendly ship may change one of its die results to any other die result. That die result cannot be modified again."

The current card text makes it clear that the ship Palpatine is in is the one performing the modification.

I agree that the use of the word "you" in the Emperors card does make that one murky. I don't think it needs an errata though, especially if it just a single case where you would have such a conflict of terms. There is a school of thought that when OL has a ship locked that it's dice can't be modified at all regardless of who the "you" is.

To:

I agree that the use of the word "you" in the Emperors card does make that one murky. I don't think it needs an errata though, especially if it just a single case where you would have such a conflict of terms. There is a school of thought that when OL has a ship locked that it's dice can't be modified at all regardless of who the "you" is.

It's not just a single card. Look at Juke. That card works just like Palpatine. It's an effect from one ship that modifies the dice of another. If Palpatine on a third ship can't modify the dice of a ship target locked by Omega Leader then it follows that Omega Leader can't use Juke on any ship he has locked. If Omega Leader somehow got the ability to equip R7 or Sensor Jammer, neither of those cards could work for him unless he didn't have a lock on his target.

An errata on the Emperor is the easiest way to make the Emperor not work while allowing Juke that doesn't require creating a new rule.

Edited by WWHSD

To:

It's not just a single card. Look at Juke. That card works just like Palpatine. It's an effect from one ship that modifies the dice of another. If Palpatine on a third ship can't modify the dice of a ship target locked by Omega Leader then it follows that Omega Leader can't use Juke on any ship he has locked. If Omega Leader somehow got the ability to equip R7 or Sensor Jammer, neither of those cards could work for him unless he didn't have a lock on his target.

An errata on the Emperor is the easiest way to make the Emperor not work while allowing Juke that doesn't require creating a new rule.

Omega-leader.pngJuke.png

OL is immune to his own effect and can use Juke any time he wants. Palpatine is trying to modify his friendly ship's dice, but OL has a target lock on that ship and therefore those dice aren't modifiable by OL's ability. OL isn't attacking OL or defending against OL so he can modify any dice he wants using Juke or any other means. The only ambiguity in OL's text is that it lists plural ships and there is currently no way for OL to hold more than one blue target lock at a time - that may change some day and OL will be ready.

"you" = the ship the upgrade is on

"you" + palpie = the shuttle

"you" + juke = Omega Leader (his ability only specifies enemy ships that he has locked)

OL does nothing to stop Juke from working, as he is modifying his target's dice (as opposed to his target modifying himself)

"you" + juke = Omega Leader (his ability only specifies enemy ships that he has locked)

OL does nothing to stop Juke from working, as he is modifying his target's dice (as opposed to his target modifying himself)

And by the same reasoning the Emperor shouldn't be affected. 

If OL attacks Vader while having a target lock, the emperor should be able to change the dice. It specifically says so on the Emperor card that it is a different ship whose dice you are modifying, whereas OL only prohibits the defender from modifying their dice. External factors should be allowed to modify.

The emperor is worded differenty than, say, Etahn or Jan Dodonna. I should hope that that is for a reason.

Agreed. He shouldn't stop Palpatine on a third ship from working either.

To:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxqm6htwcwk

Omega-leader.pngJuke.png

OL is immune to his own effect and can use Juke any time he wants. Palpatine is trying to modify his friendly ship's dice, but OL has a target lock on that ship and therefore those dice aren't modifiable by OL's ability. OL isn't attacking OL or defending against OL so he can modify any dice he wants using Juke or any other means. The only ambiguity in OL's text is that it lists plural ships and there is currently no way for OL to hold more than one blue target lock at a time - that may change some day and OL will be ready.

Right, Omega Leader is able to modify the dice because he is not the ship that he has target locked. That is the only ship on the board that is affected by his ability. A Shuttle with Palpatine is also not affected by his ability unless target locked by him. Both Palpatine and Juke are cases where the ship holding the upgrade perform dice modification on dice that are not theirs.

Omega Leader's ability to does not prevent the dice of the ship he has target locked from being modified . He prevents the ship he has target locked from modifying dice while they are either attacking or defending. There's a difference.

If the intention is for Omega Leader to stop Palpatine but not his own Juke something would need to change. They can change the wording on cards or they can change the rules. It would probably be easiest to tweak the wording on Palpatine in such a way as to let him permit a friendly ship to modify their dice.

Edited by WWHSD