Sign in to follow this  
mazz0

New Rey Theory (spoilers (as if anyone hasn't seen FA yet))

Wow.. Just wow. Everytime i see these theories about Rey being Luke's daughter, I think "what a boring and lazy option that would be".

Like I said, the guy that played as Star Killer was in SW ep 7, but last I check no one is sure who or what he played as in this movie, and knowing JJ if he did play as Star Killer he was given a false credit to throw off anyone trying to figure out the plot for the new new trilogy.

That is some facetious reasoning.. The actor, Sam Witwer, is a Star Wars geek. He has voiced Palpatine and Darth Maul in the animated shows. Him having a cameo doesn't mean a thing. Unless, we apply a similar leap in "logic" and figure that James Bond is a stormtrooper because Daniel Craig had a cameo, or that Scotty had an accident and was deformed because Simon Pegg plays Unkar Plutt.

Wow.. Just wow. Everytime i see these theories about Rey being Luke's daughter, I think "what a boring and lazy option that would be".

I am telling ya, she is the Daughter of Star Killer and Juno Eclipse. He may have left her on that planet because he was becoming to unstable and couldn't risk accidentally killing his daughter, and or he left to go deal with Snookie himself. I doubt he would have joined Skywalkers Jedi school and he probably just stayed as a powerful force user.

Like I said, the guy that played as Star Killer was in SW ep 7, but last I check no one is sure who or what he played as in this movie, and knowing JJ if he did play as Star Killer he was given a false credit to throw off anyone trying to figure out the plot for the new new trilogy.

Except Starkiller is a non-canon character that your average moviegoer doesn't know anything about, making him an extremely poor choice. It would be like revealing that Luke was Howlrunner's son - the majority of viewers won't have any idea of what's happening.

Although Howlrunner would actually make more sense - the TIE swarm she was supposedly in in ESB is canon, meaning she arguably is still canon, while Starkiller has no canon appearances at all.

Edited by Cybermat47

I hadn't thought about it but you could be right. Just got back from my first viewing. It was like a private showing. Less than a dozen people.

On reflection I'm not sure about the Palpatine connection. He was one ugly mf towards the end. Can't think of anyone who would willingly bed that beast.

Well from the old extinct EU, Ysanne Isard was willing to sleep with him after the lightning on his face.

Bad guy is son of the heroes of the rebellion, good guy is the daughter of the villain.

I could see that, her age doesn't really seem to line up though.

However Palpatine did have clones of himself...

She could be the offspring of one of his clones

Or she could be the result of some stolen/smuggled DNA by a loyalist but Snook found out and she had to be mindwiped and dumped on Jaku..

I don't like the Obi-Wan lineage idea. Yeah, it's cool to think of his line going on, but out of all the Jedi, he strikes me as the least likely to father a child. It was clear as day that he liked Satine and that Satine liked him, but he held to his vows to the Jedi order. Even after the destruction of the Jedi, I doubt Obi-Wan would abandon all he had learned. I doubt he'd form an attachment in the form of a child or spouse. It just doesn't fit the Obi-Wan we've been presented with.

I am, however, a huge fan of her being a "nobody." I love the idea of her just being another galactic citizen in whom the Force has awakened.

I like the theory that she's a Kenobi more.

The mind trick...I think we really only saw that used by Kenobi, at least used the most by him.

The symbolism of her giving luke that lightsaber...the same lightsaber that kenobi gave luke way back in A New Hope...

A lot of other subtle hints and connections too.

He hasn't taken yet. She only offered it to him.

I hadn't thought about it but you could be right. Just got back from my first viewing. It was like a private showing. Less than a dozen people.

On reflection I'm not sure about the Palpatine connection. He was one ugly mf towards the end. Can't think of anyone who would willingly bed that beast.

Well from the old extinct EU, Ysanne Isard was willing to sleep with him after the lightning on his face.

Unfortunately "I know nothing" of the EU. (Said in Schultz's voice) I joined this party late.

Switching off his own weapon, Ren extended an arm toward the device lying in the snow. It twitched and then began to vibrate as the Force called to it. Stretching out his hand farther, straining, Ren beckoned powerfully—and the lightsaber rose, to come bulleting toward his outstretched fingers.

And past them.
Taken aback, he whirled—to see the weapon land in the hand of a girl standing by a tree. Rey appeared equally shocked that her reach for the device had exceeded his. She gazed down at the weapon now resting in her grip.
“It is you,” Ren murmured.
His words unsettled her: Not for the first time, he seemed to know more about her than she did about herself. But she had no time to ponder his comment, nor was she inclined to do so anyway; she was too consumed with rage. Holding the haft of the lightsaber in both hands, she ignited the beam—and charged.
Ren met her with his own weapon alight. Expecting weakness, he encountered only strength. Her skill with the device was raw at best, but it was backed by a fury that was as new to his experience as it was unexpected.
When the beams of their lightsabers crossed, the resulting burst of energy lit an entire section of forest.

So Kylo Ren knows who she is, according to the novel.

Ren held his lightsaber, poised to strike. “I could kill you right now. But there is another way.”

Breathing hard, Rey looked up in disgust at the man looming above her. “You’re a monster.”
“No. You need a teacher.” He was beseeching and insistent all at once. “I can show you the ways of the Force!”
Slowly she shook her head. “The Force?” That was what this was about? Instead of moving to defend herself, Rey closed her eyes. Ren hesitated, confused by her actions. A long moment passed, in which Ren sensed a change in the air, a change in her. Then she opened her eyes and attacked, viciously, in a way she didn’t know she was capable of, striking again and again as Ren was slowly driven back. The flaring energy from the interacting lightsabers was more pronounced than ever in the flurry of her attack. And—Ren went down.
He was up again in an instant, but not in time to fully deflect a following blow from Rey’s weapon. He succeeded in blocking it, but he still took the full force of the strike against the haft of his own lightsaber. The weapon went flying into the snow. Unarmed, he raised a hand and utilized the Force to fend off one slashing blow after another, until finally her fury penetrated his remaining defenses. Taking a glancing blow to the head and chest, he went down, a prominent burn slashed across his face. Weakened, he reached out toward his lightsaber, trying to draw it to him.
One downward cut, she saw. One quick, final strike, and she could kill him. The landing lights of a shuttle appeared in the distance, coming over the trees in her direction. She had to make a decision, now.
Kill him, a voice inside her head said. It was amorphous, unidentifiable, raw. Pure vengeful emotion. So easy, she told herself. So quick.
She recoiled from it. From the dark side.
The world shook beneath her as the ground began to split. Turning away from the injured figure, she ran back to where Finn lay badly wounded. A deep gully formed, separating her from General Hux and the arriving troopers. Utilizing the tiny position sensor emplaced in Ren’s belt, Hux had tracked him to this spot. He would have taken Rey and Finn, as well, if not for the command that had been issued by the Supreme Leader. That took precedence over everything. There was simply no time left.

There are a lot of missing puzzle pieces in the Novel.

I'm looking forward to the director's cut returning the hour of footage Disney cut away. 

That is some facetious reasoning.. The actor, Sam Witwer, is a Star Wars geek. He has voiced Palpatine and Darth Maul in the animated shows. Him having a cameo doesn't mean a thing. Unless, we apply a similar leap in "logic" and figure that James Bond is a stormtrooper because Daniel Craig had a cameo, or that Scotty had an accident and was deformed because Simon Pegg plays Unkar Plutt.

Sam Witwer is also Star Killer, an important part of the Rebel Alliance, and his clone 11XX should still be alive by this point in time in the SW Galaxy.  Also Ray shares some attributes with Juno Eclipse, they look kinda similar and they have the same accent.  Between the two of them, 11XX and Juno, it would have been Juno that probably took care of her for longer periods of time hence the accent, which is also an accent Luke Skywalker doesn't have.

Also its pretty symbolic having them both take powerful opponents lightsabers away in the same or similar manor.  You don't see anyone else do it in this way in any of the movies.

past 5:33 You see the original star killer disarm Darth Vader in a similar way Ray disarms Darth Caedus in ep VII.  Funny how history would repeat it self if true.  Star Killer disarms Vader and his daughter disarms Caedus in the same way.

I will also point out that Rey also kinda looks like Star Killer and they both have the same colored eyes why Luke has blue eyes, Rey and Star Killer have brown / hazel eyes.

Except Starkiller is a non-canon character that your average moviegoer doesn't know anything about, making him an extremely poor choice. It would be like revealing that Luke was Howlrunner's son - the majority of viewers won't have any idea of what's happening.

Although Howlrunner would actually make more sense - the TIE swarm she was supposedly in in ESB is canon, meaning she arguably is still canon, while Starkiller has no canon appearances at all.

He is still canon as is everything is SW every made, they have two levels of canon in SW primary and secondary which is legends.  To sum it up, they, LFL don't want Legends to be treated as if it never happened, and secondly its only the fine details of each character or event that can be changed, over all its still going to be canon.

Star Killer is great choice just because he would be an unexpected choice that is also an important character to the lore.  Really good movie are not supposed to be predictable, did you see JJs talk about move making?  Surprises are essential, and her being Lukes daughter would be to much of a non-shocker.  

Also again I will point out whatever Witwer or JJ have said about Witwers role in the movie can only be taken as a lie since JJ lies and makes his actors also lie, including during interviews, so that people will be surprised when said facts given during interviews never happen.

Heres proof of him doing the above.

Edited by Black Knight Leader

Switching off his own weapon, Ren extended an arm toward the device lying in the snow. It twitched and then began to vibrate as the Force called to it. Stretching out his hand farther, straining, Ren beckoned powerfully—and the lightsaber rose, to come bulleting toward his outstretched fingers.

And past them.
Taken aback, he whirled—to see the weapon land in the hand of a girl standing by a tree. Rey appeared equally shocked that her reach for the device had exceeded his. She gazed down at the weapon now resting in her grip.
His words unsettled her: Not for the first time, he seemed to know more about her than she did about herself. But she had no time to ponder his comment, nor was she inclined to do so anyway; she was too consumed with rage. Holding the haft of the lightsaber in both hands, she ignited the beam—and charged.
Ren met her with his own weapon alight. Expecting weakness, he encountered only strength. Her skill with the device was raw at best, but it was backed by a fury that was as new to his experience as it was unexpected.
When the beams of their lightsabers crossed, the resulting burst of energy lit an entire section of forest.

He had met her awhile before though, remember he tried getting information out of her but she resisted him with the force?

He is still canon as is everything is SW every made, they have two levels of canon in SW primary and secondary which is legends. To sum it up, they, LFL don't want Legends to be treated as if it never happened, and secondly its only the fine details of each character or event that can be changed, over all its still going to be canon.

And yet, major events in Starkiller's life have already been changed by Star Wars: Rebels.

In The Force Unleashed, Starkiller helps form the Rebel Alliance 2 years before Episode IV.

In Rebels, the Rebel Alliance is active 5 years before Episode IV.

Star Killer is great choice just because he would be an unexpected choice that is also an important character to the lore. Really good movie are not supposed to be predictable, did you see JJs talk about move making? Surprises are essential, and her being Lukes daughter would be to much of a non-shocker.

Also again I will point out whatever Witwer or JJ have said about Witwers role in the movie can only be taken as a lie since JJ lies and makes his actors also lie, including during interviews, so that people will be surprised when said facts given during interviews never happen.

Heres proof of him doing the above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMHrOivM5bI

Starkiller would be a terrible choice, because most people don't even know he ever existed, and Rebels completely overwrites The Force Unleashed. Edited by Cybermat47

And yet, major events in Starkiller's life have already been changed by Star Wars: Rebels.

In The Force Unleashed, Starkiller helps form the Rebel Alliance 2 years before Episode IV.

In Rebels, the Rebel Alliance is active 5 years before Episode IV.

[/i

Starkiller would be a terrible choice, because most people don't even know he ever existed, and Rebels completely overwrites The Force Unleashed.

The Rebel Alliance doesn't exist yet in the SW Rebels TV show, and again if it were, thats only one detail that would be different, just one change doesn't destroy the entire piece of work, as was basically said by LFL.

I bet you most SW fans know who Star Killer is.  Also if by having unknown characters in a story causes it to be  ruined, then I guess the whole new cast just ruined SWep7 since I had no idea who most of them were before going to the movie.  To be honest with you I did hate Finn and Rey.  Poe and Darth Caedus were good.

At this point Rey has more characteristic, both physical and personality wise, that make them more likely to be related than Skywalker and Rey.   I guess it would be mostly ok if she were related to Old Ben, problem maybe though is that he has grayish-blue eyes.

Edited by Black Knight Leader

The average movie goer wouldn't know who Star Killer was and, if they mentioned him, the audience would just be a bit confused on account of the Star Killer base. "What? She's the daughter of the third Death Star? Did they use the Force to get it pregnant?"

So I saw this thread at work and thought hey, I'll post a joke about Kenobi being Reys Grandad when I get home. So yep, didn't see that being a serious theory. Sooo, how about Count Dookus great granddaughter as a result of a drunken night on Nar Shadda?

Seriously, I'm on board with Rey being unrelated to any of the main cast, but I won't be surprised when it turns out she's related to one of them.

Edited by avaktor

Unfortunately "I know nothing" of the EU. (Said in Schultz's voice) I joined this party late.

Ah good ol Hogan's heroes.

I haven't seen any of that in years...such good times

The average movie goer wouldn't know who Star Killer was and, if they mentioned him, the audience would just be a bit confused on account of the Star Killer base. "What? She's the daughter of the third Death Star? Did they use the Force to get it pregnant?"

And that's the point of a film is to develop characters. A bit of back ground info and now the average movie goer knows who he is too

Here is how I see it: Rey is related to none of the legacy characters. There is a reason for this. First off, we see Han take a shining to her, and this is probably because she reminds him a bit if himself and, likely, the child he lost. Han is feeling a bit empty and Rey makes him feel like a parent. Losing a child, in this case a different type of loss, a more metaphysical one, is the toughest thing ever I've been told. Han ran away from the only thing that likely made him feel he belongs. Rey rekindles that feeling.

Maz's comment about knowing the truth: has nothing to do with some force induced memory block and everything to do with denial. Rey wants to believe that her family is coming back, and they didn't abandon her. The truth is she knows they aren't coming. Her family couldn't and didn't care. You know who does care? The young stormtrooper that just met her. Who Chewie tells her it was HIS idea. The idea that someone she just met would risk his life to come back for her whereas her family abandons her is a huge, and important, point.

All this leads to the concept of "family". That it doesn't have to be shared blood that makes family, only that the people care about each other. What I see happening is there will be an epic showdown somewhere and Luke or Leia will choose to save Rey over their blood relative. Not in a vengeful way, but because this abandoned scavenger girl becomes more family than Kylo Ren did in his other life.

Bonus review: Leia and Rey's Hug. No blood connection there, but an emotional one. Leia is likely very empathetic and perceptive. She probably knew how Han had a fatherly ferling towards Rey, and seeing her so upset about the loss of the man she herself loved, she does the motherly thing and consoles Rey, another symbolism moment of family directed to this abandoned child. Leia was also not as affected by Han's loss as she had already Lost him years earlier, and this girl helped bring back, symbolically anyways, the Man that Han had become - the father.

Yes, i believe it would be a more poignant and interesting way to explore the family themed story by one of acceptance and belonging.

I couldn't agree more (in America do you say "I could agree more"?). I hope she's not related to any other character and her family isn't brought into it.

And past them.

Ren held his lightsaber, poised to strike. “I could kill you right now. But there is another way.”

Breathing hard, Rey looked up in disgust at the man looming above her. “You’re a monster.”
“No. You need a teacher.” He was beseeching and insistent all at once. “I can show you the ways of the Force!”
Slowly she shook her head. “The Force?” That was what this was about? Instead of moving to defend herself, Rey closed her eyes. Ren hesitated, confused by her actions. A long moment passed, in which Ren sensed a change in the air, a change in her. Then she opened her eyes and attacked, viciously, in a way she didn’t know she was capable of, striking again and again as Ren was slowly driven back. The flaring energy from the interacting lightsabers was more pronounced than ever in the flurry of her attack. And—Ren went down.
He was up again in an instant, but not in time to fully deflect a following blow from Rey’s weapon. He succeeded in blocking it, but he still took the full force of the strike against the haft of his own lightsaber. The weapon went flying into the snow. Unarmed, he raised a hand and utilized the Force to fend off one slashing blow after another, until finally her fury penetrated his remaining defenses. Taking a glancing blow to the head and chest, he went down, a prominent burn slashed across his face. Weakened, he reached out toward his lightsaber, trying to draw it to him.
One downward cut, she saw. One quick, final strike, and she could kill him. The landing lights of a shuttle appeared in the distance, coming over the trees in her direction. She had to make a decision, now.
Kill him, a voice inside her head said. It was amorphous, unidentifiable, raw. Pure vengeful emotion. So easy, she told herself. So quick.
She recoiled from it. From the dark side.
The world shook beneath her as the ground began to split. Turning away from the injured figure, she ran back to where Finn lay badly wounded. A deep gully formed, separating her from General Hux and the arriving troopers. Utilizing the tiny position sensor emplaced in Ren’s belt, Hux had tracked him to this spot. He would have taken Rey and Finn, as well, if not for the command that had been issued by the Supreme Leader. That took precedence over everything. There was simply no time left.

There are a lot of missing puzzle pieces in the Novel.

I'm looking forward to the director's cut returning the hour of footage Disney cut away. 

Jesus, that books sounds dreadful!