Sign in to follow this  
GrumpyMuffin

I'm Calling the Dual Card Ruling Now!

With the card name being "Adaptability," I've got my money on the rule being that you must verbally call an adjustment (-1/+1) of your Pilot Skill and turn the card to the appropriate side at the beginning of each Planning Phase before setting dials.

Edited by GrumpyMuffin

Or perhaps the two "copies" are actually a +1 card and a -1 card, and you must equip both of them in the same squad. It'd offset the 0 cost, and it would allow you to "move" the skill from one pilot to another. Make Wedge 8 and Poe 9, perhaps?

Edit: Based on the double-sided theory (supported by the expansion components shot), my supposition is likely incorrect.

Edited by superdave

Or perhaps the two "copies" are actually a +1 card and a -1 card, and you must equip both of them in the same squad. It'd offset the 0 cost, and it would allow you to "move" the skill from one pilot to another. Make Wedge 8 and Poe 9, perhaps?

Based on VI having a price of 1 squad point, a 1PS increase for only the cost of an EPT slot seems like a fair price.

I know that FFG articles aren't the same as seeing the actual rules text but the way that I read this makes me think that you'll only need to use one card at a time:

"The first zero-cost elite pilot talent in X-Wing, Adaptability allows you to either add or subtract a point of pilot skill from any of your pilots with the elite pilot talent slot. The card's introduction as a zero-cost upgrade means that players everywhere will soon have an elite pilot talent upgrade that they can add to any squad for which they previously had no upgrade options in budget. Accordingly, it is bound to make appearances nearly everywhere, and you will find two copies of the upgrade in the expansion."

Edited by WWHSD

So, by "now" you mean after everyone else has been talking about it, and offering that possible solution, for the last 90+ minutes?

Why are comments like this even necessary? I didn't see a thread dedicated specifically to this discussion.

I tend to agree with superdave as to its functionality, but WWHSD does bring up a good point as well. That wording in the article has me doubting my self.

With the card name being "Adaptability," I've got my money on the rule being that you must verbally call an adjustment (-1/+1) of your Pilot Skill and turn the card to the appropriate side at the beginning of each Planning Phase before setting dials.

Or might be at the beginning of the game. Don't forget it is a 0 point upgrade... can't be too good.

So, by "now" you mean after everyone else has been talking about it, and offering that possible solution, for the last 90+ minutes?

Just to clear up any confusion...

Before creating a new thread about the Dual Card, I actually did my due-diligence and read through the entire original article posting (6-pages at the time of my reading) as well as the ninja'd post (8 comments at the time of my reading).  If you need a reference, thats when conversation started about whether or not you could tractor beam your own ship for greater maneuverability.  There was little to no discussion, at that time, about the actual functionality of that card.  Only then did I decide to create the new post.  So, when you say, "for the last 90+ minutes," I'm sure it can be agreed upon that the timeframe is relative to when I read the thread vs. when you read the thread.  

Edited by GrumpyMuffin

I'd like to think:

1. Dual Upgrades have two opposite or variable effects... and two sides.

2. We choose an effect/side before each match. But no switchy-switch between rounds.

3. +1/-1 and +2/-2 reminder tokens will be more common on the play mat. (I use a +2 token for VI)

4. We're gonna get some pretty **** cool Dual cards coming from FFG.

(I'm trying to figure out why I would want -1 PS)

I believe the card will allow you to choose which side you want to use EACH ROUND of a game/match.  Perhaps during planning or end phase for balancing reasons.  Several reasons I see for this conclusion:

1. Its double sided.  If you had to choose ONLY at the start of a match then why not just print 2 separate cards.
  2. The name of the card is "Adaptability."  Choosing one time, at the start of the match doesn't seem very adaptable to me.
  3. They're introducing a new card type (Dual Card) into the game.  Again, if you can't use it during the match why bother adding an unnecessary rule/card type.
  4.  Limiting it to having to declare only at the start of a match seems to me that the card would therefore be specifically designed for tournament play because you're obviously playing multiple rounds.  Casual play is just one-offs so, again, why bother introducing all these new elements for one offs, just print separate cards and be done with it.
  5.  Given #3, I can't see FFG, from a business standpoint, designing/printing a card that only makes sense in a multiple round tournament environment.  I think we all forget sometimes that probably the overwhelming majority of people playing x-wing may never set foot in a tournament.
  6.   The suggestions about having to assign it to 2 of your ships and have opposite sides up contradicts the way the article is worded.  Now I know FFG articles often have their issues but I just don't see that.
  7.   Some have said that swapping it during a match is OP, given the 0 cost.  But, it does have a drawback of taking up your EPT slot, so I think that does matter.

So I think it's neat and opens up a lot of future possibilities.  Of course I could be completely wrong and that's OK too.

Edited by sinclair5150

To be fair it may have been your first 'call' but a few including me thought that while reading the article before even reading any posts.

But being the first to post/claim it is what counts.  If true good luck since I'm agreeing with you.

P.S. if you were not the firs then I'm still thinking this is the effect.

P.P.S.  It's effect right?  Not affect?

Yes. In general "effect" is the noun and "affect" and is the verb. They can however both be used as either.

You are affected by an effect.

You effect an affect.

Actually I was kidding.  But even so it wouldn't have been my first mistake if I had gotten it wrong.

But maybe the first one this year or so I've told my wife  :lol:

I'd like to think:

1. Dual Upgrades have two opposite or variable effects... and two sides.

2. We choose an effect/side before each match. But no switchy-switch between rounds.

3. +1/-1 and +2/-2 reminder tokens will be more common on the play mat. (I use a +2 token for VI)

4. We're gonna get some pretty **** cool Dual cards coming from FFG.

(I'm trying to figure out why I would want -1 PS)

I think "multiple choice" cards would be awesome.  Think of a card where, at a specific time, you were able to pick from two or three abilities printed on a singe card.  Or even a card where you rolled a red die and the action was based on what you rolled - Hit = Action A; Crit = Action B, etc, etc.  This opens up a lot of new possibilities.

Yes. In general "effect" is the noun and "affect" and is the verb. They can however both be used as either.

You are affected by an effect.

You effect an affect.

Actually I was kidding.  But even so it wouldn't have been my first mistake if I had gotten it wrong.

But maybe the first one this year or so I've told my wife  :lol:

swx41_spread.png

Notice both copies of adaptability look the same. Since the article shows two different cards the idea of a flip/ dual sided card fits this very well.

Edit: Based on the double-sided theory (supported by the expansion components shot), my supposition is likely incorrect.

I still think it's this

I still think it's this

The art on the 2 copies in the fan is the same, the art on the +1 is different than the -1. Thus pretty conclusively indicates they are double sided. The only reason to make them double sided is if you get to flip them back and forth, otherwise it works better if they are separate cards.

You know, the ability to pick between +1 and -1 is probably actually worth a point.

Either way, we can now expect a lot more PS 10 Vaders... who become PS8 to shoot after Fel (and help those crits punch through) if the enemy lacks aces.

PS9 isn't going to be the magic number to hit for Xizor any more, either; it used to be enough when you paid an EPT and a full point on pilots just to trump PS 9. Wes + Wedge will be thrilled, though.

Interesting times.

• Its double sided.  If you had to choose ONLY at the start of a match then why not just print 2 separate cards.
  • The name of the card is "Adaptability."  Choosing one time, at the start of the match doesn't seem very adaptable to me.
  • They're introducing a new card type (Dual Card) into the game.  Again, if you can't use it during the match why bother adding an unnecessary rule/card type.
  •  Limiting it to having to declare only at the start of a match seems to me that the card would therefore be specifically designed for tournament play because you're obviously playing multiple rounds.  Casual play is just one-offs so, again, why bother introducing all these new elements for one offs, just print separate cards and be done with it.
  •  Given #3, I can't see FFG, from a business standpoint, designing/printing a card that only makes sense in a multiple round tournament environment.  I think we all forget sometimes that probably the overwhelming majority of people playing x-wing may never set foot in a tournament.

It may well be that it can be flipped during a match (and that would be cool), but I don't see why flipping only at the start of a match would be suitable for tournaments only.

If you can only flip at the start of a match, then this is just as useful in a casual game as a tournament round... unless in casual games you get to wait until you've seen your opponents list before you build yours...

If flipping only happens at the start I can imagine there'd need to be an order of flipping (initiative based?) otherwise there could be a situation where both sides could be in "flip lock" :P

Whether it's flip turn by turn or flip at the start, given the "Dual Upgrade" card, I'm excited at the possibilities of what other Dual Upgrades we have to look forward to...

I would think that DUAL upgrade either means exactly what you imply, namely that two pilots must take it, one the -1 and one the +1, or it means the card has two sides with Text and no backside .In this case, however i really don't see why you would use the  -1. Nobody would do that if not forced to. I mean i could see it on a PS2 ship that wants to be a PS1 blocker, but then these ships usually don't have EPT slots!