Sign in to follow this  
imprezagoatee

Mist Hunter preview!

Come to think of it, is there an error in the article? Just checked the rulebook, and as far as I can tell you only roll to see if you suffer damage if you perform a maneuver that moves you over or onto an asteroid. Normally barrel rolls and boosts into them are outright disallowed, so the rules don't cover it.

There is no error in the article. The article mention "in the following round". It is easy to miss.

Article:

Forcing your opponent's ship through this boost or barrel roll does not count as an action or a maneuver, and you can force the ship to overlap obstacles, meaning that if you catch your opponent's ship in the right spot, you can potentially deny it the chance to fire and to perform actions in the following round. Moreover, you may get as many as two points of damage out of the collisions, depending on the results of your opponent's attack dice.

the only bold part is what your talking about but if you only roll a die if you manouver onto or over an asteroid it is not possible to have 2 damage(beside a double hit crit). forther more they are talking about collisionS. and in this case its only 1 collision, init?

Come to think of it, is there an error in the article? Just checked the rulebook, and as far as I can tell you only roll to see if you suffer damage if you perform a maneuver that moves you over or onto an asteroid. Normally barrel rolls and boosts into them are outright disallowed, so the rules don't cover it.

There is no error in the article. The article mention "in the following round". It is easy to miss.

There kinda is, it says "Moreover, you may get as many as two points of damage out of the collisions, depending on the results of your opponent's attack dice." Implying if you placed them right, they would roll for damage this turn and next. While that is also theoretically possible with overlaps or double damage crits, I don't think that's what they meant.

EDIT: For the love I've been ninja'd for like the 3rd time today, darn these popular threads! :P

Edited by imprezagoatee

So after going over some of the discussion, here are my thoughts on Adaptability.

It is double sided because you can flip-flop it between rounds. So basically the rule card will outline it this way-

1- you MUST have 2 copies in your list.

2- At the beginning of the game, both copies must be on opposite sides of the card

3- At the start of the end phase (activation might be too powerful), you may flip BOTH cards to the opposite side

And there we have it folks! An awesome, awesome, AWESOME new mechanic in the game!!! ....If I'm right, of course.

Too complex. It's probably front/back and you decide which one you want in each round.

But my issue with that is it negates the point of a 0 cost upgrade. All 0 point upgrades up to this point have been a fix or have an apparent down side. If it worked as you suggest, it would be purely beneficial at 0 points. 

I understand that this is entirely possible, but I believe what I suggest has the correct feel for a 0 point upgrade- You get a bonus (+1 PS), but you also get a negative (-1 PS).

Now, to make the mechanic more exciting, they made it double sided as well, allowing you to flip flop the cards between the two pilots, giving it more functionality and making it more exciting within (though limiting) in list building.

And lets not talk about being too complex. We just had a card spoiled which has you reduce a ships agility, and then you can either boost it or barrel roll it, but not into another ship, but it can roll or boost into an obstacle. All you would do here is at the end of each round say "I'm using Adaptability", and flip the cards. How is that any more cumbersome then remembering R5-P9 to regen a shield at the end of the phase?

I will say though that my second best guess is that you determine which side you want to use after you see your opponents list and/or between rounds. But, as mentioned, I feel that is purely beneficial and not reflective of the route FFG has gone in the past. They could very well change at any point though.

Edited by Kdubb

Article:

Forcing your opponent's ship through this boost or barrel roll does not count as an action or a maneuver, and you can force the ship to overlap obstacles, meaning that if you catch your opponent's ship in the right spot, you can potentially deny it the chance to fire and to perform actions in the following round. Moreover, you may get as many as two points of damage out of the collisions, depending on the results of your opponent's attack dice.

the only bold part is what your talking about but if you only roll a die if you manouver onto or over an asteroid it is not possible to have 2 damage(beside a double hit crit). forther more they are talking about collisionS. and in this case its only 1 collision, init?

Putting them on the asteroid is the first collision and they roll a die for damage. Then if their template touches it on the way off they roll again that turn.

It's never been possible before so the rules haven't caught up and there's sure to be a faq entry.

Article:

Putting them on the asteroid is the first collision and they roll a die for damage. Then if their template touches it on the way off they roll again that turn.

It's never been possible before so the rules haven't caught up and there's sure to be a faq entry.

They have actually, the rules state you roll for damage during a maneuver that overlaps. The tractor movement is explicitly not a maneuver.

Has anyone else figure out the evilness of a tractor beam card in an epic game involving HUGE ships?

(Mentally picturing Mortal Kombat's Scorpion flying by roaring "GET OVER HERE" as he drags you in front of a Gozanti, or just slams a tie back into its mother ship after launching)

Only works on SMALL ships.

Unfortunately it does not look like this, but it would have been cool, that in analogy to ion effect, the effect would occur when a large ship is hit successfully by another tractor beam in the same round, thus having 2 tokens.

And again, the Scyk looks a bit sad in its corner, they were probably to afraid of having really useful Scyk swarms.

At least it gets one more flanking role, and this time at least the -1 AGI effect is stacking, unlike the stress Scyk.

Article:

They have actually, the rules state you roll for damage during a maneuver that overlaps. The tractor movement is explicitly not a maneuver.

It's never been possible to land on an asteroid outside of a maneuver until now so the rules haven't caught up to the intended effect of this cannon based on the preview article. Expect an FAQ to clarify whether the article is correct and you will take a damage from tractor beam putting you on a rock, or an FAQ stating that the article is incorrect and doesn't.

So after going over some of the discussion, here are my thoughts on Adaptability.

It is double sided because you can flip-flop it between rounds. So basically the rule card will outline it this way-

2- At the beginning of the game, both copies must be on opposite sides of the card

3- At the start of the end phase (activation might be too powerful), you may flip BOTH cards to the opposite side

And there we have it folks! An awesome, awesome, AWESOME new mechanic in the game!!! ....If I'm right, of course.

Too complex. It's probably front/back and you decide which one you want in each round.

But my issue with that is it negates the point of a 0 cost upgrade. All 0 point upgrades up to this point have been a fix or have an apparent down side. If it worked as you suggest, it would be purely beneficial at 0 points. 

I understand that this is entirely possible, but I believe what I suggest has the correct feel for a 0 point upgrade- You get a bonus (+1 PS), but you also get a negative (-1 PS).

Now, to make the mechanic more exciting, they made it double sided as well, allowing you to flip flop the cards between the two pilots, giving it more functionality and making it more exciting within (though limiting) in list building.

And lets not talk about being too complex. We just had a card spoiled which has you reduce a ships agility, and then you can either boost it or barrel roll it, but not into another ship, but it can roll or boost into an obstacle. All you would do here is at the end of each round say "I'm using Adaptability", and flip the cards. How is that any more cumbersome then remembering R5-P9 to regen a shield at the end of the phase?

I will say though that my second best guess is that you determine which side you want to use after you see your opponents list and/or between rounds. But, as mentioned, I feel that is purely beneficial and not reflective of the route FFG has gone in the past. They could very well change at any point though.

It is a fix though. It's a fix for pilots with EPT's that are left open or who are rarely flown at all.

It costs an EPT slot. Given how hotly contested the EPT slotis, it woulnt be worth even 1 point.

Article:

It's never been possible to land on an asteroid outside of a maneuver until now so the rules haven't caught up to the intended effect of this cannon based on the preview article. Expect an FAQ to clarify whether the article is correct and you will take a damage from tractor beam putting you on a rock, or an FAQ stating that the article is incorrect and doesn't.

Oh I fully expect an FAQ, it is a little confusing. But to date, the articles have always been wrong in these situations.

Article:

That makes sense; until now, the only way to end up on a rock was to perform a maneuver, so they never saw a need to have the rules read to reflect the possibility.

I imagine they'll update the obstacle rules to read "Whenever a ship ends any kind of movement on an obstacle" or something along those lines to open up the tractor beam to damage.

Article:

Roll a crit, draw Direct Hit. 2 damage right there.

I see a lot of rule cards in that box; six cards that are unnecessary to play granted they do provide reference.

Two copies each from a pair of upgrades when it's not possible to use more than one with the pack.

Two copies of an upgrade type the ship can't even equip normally; help for other ships but pointless for the ship you are buying.

It look like a ship whose sole purpose is to provide us with upgrades that get to be used on other ships to make them more powerful.  If "sole purpose" is to strong I think you'd have a harder time if I just said "Primary purpose."

Just something to point out.  The word "may" does not appear on the tractor beam token reference card.  You will need to adjust the position of the defender if you hit.

And since you can't bump ships, what happens if you can't boost nor barrel roll due to ships in the way... the game explode? :)

I see a lot of rule cards in that box; six cards that are unnecessary to play granted they do provide reference.

Two copies each from a pair of upgrades when it's not possible to use more than one with the pack.

Two copies of an upgrade type the ship can't even equip normally; help for other ships but pointless for the ship you are buying.

It look like a ship whose sole purpose is to provide us with upgrades that get to be used on other ships to make them more powerful.  If "sole purpose" is to strong I think you'd have a harder time if I just said "Primary purpose."

The only upgrade you can't equip normally is the Tractor beam, which you DO get to use with the title, so it's not a pointless upgrade.  And 2 copies of the upgrades is so you don't have to buy as many of them if you want extra copies,

I'm guessing dual means you need to equip both cards, not on the same ship. So you'd be stealing a pilot skill from one ship for another ship.

That makes the most sense since without that caveat it's a straight up better version of the most overused ept in the game.

It is a fix though. It's a fix for pilots with EPT's that are left open or who are rarely flown at all.

I would disagree it is a necessary fix.  I would say that, if we are using VI as a measurement, +1 PS would be worth 0.5 points, which is impossible in the context of the game, so 0 points would be fitting. But, if you are forced to bump another ship down -1 PS, which would essentially be worth -0.5 points, it evens out at the exact desired 0.

Opportunity cost is a real thing, and I understand that a pilot with an EPT slot without an equipped EPT upgrade is essentially paying for not using the slot. But to allow them to use that slot, for free, with no penalty in any way is, well, boring to me. Which shows that it is very possible my personal feelings are blinding me here. Anyways...- I believe by giving a small negative, it makes it a more exciting upgrade as players look to find positive ways to use the slight negative of the card to their benefit.

Also of note- The card art seems to clearly show a squadron flying together. This, to me, seems to say they are adapting together, not singularly.

Just something to point out.  The word "may" does not appear on the tractor beam token reference card.  You will need to adjust the position of the defender if you hit.

And since you can't bump ships, what happens if you can't boost nor barrel roll due to ships in the way... the game explode? :)

after-fatality-mortal-kombat.jpg

Well in that case it obviously fails and the ship stays put.  The real question is what happens if it can't barrel roll the way you want it to because it is blocked?  Are you forced to choose a different maneuver, or is one block enough to just leave it there if you like?