Sign in to follow this  
imprezagoatee

Mist Hunter preview!

So now the $64k question.  Can you tractor a ship into range one of his allies and then trigger Ruthlessness?

I don't believe so. Ruthlessness triggers the moment you hit a ship, we it would occur before the movement happens

Tractor Beam triggers the moment you hit a ship. The defender receives one tractor beam token, which triggers the mandatory movement on the Tractor Beam reference card. Ruthlessness triggers after you perform an attack that hits. The assignment of the tractor beam token and the mandatory movement occur as part of resolving the attack, therefore Ruthlessness would trigger afterward.

I'm stoked.

I was thinking the same thing. Brutal combo. Supporting ships become a complete liability to low HP aces, because it makes Ruthlessness into an almost 2-range effect. Less hilarious, but also useful would be Vessery moving targets out of ruthlessness range of friendlies.

Sure you can do that, but that's not nearly as fun as slamming Biggs into the pilot he was supposed to protect and then doing two Ruthless points of damage to him while Biggs looks on, helpless.

Has anyone else figure out the evilness of a tractor beam card in an epic game involving HUGE ships?

(Mentally picturing Mortal Kombat's Scorpion flying by roaring "GET OVER HERE" as he drags you in front of a Gozanti, or just slams a tie back into its mother ship after launching)

Only works on SMALL ships.

So after going over some of the discussion, here are my thoughts on Adaptability.

It is double sided because you can flip-flop it between rounds. So basically the rule card will outline it this way-

1- you MUST have 2 copies in your list.

2- At the beginning of the game, both copies must be on opposite sides of the card

3- At the start of the end phase (activation might be too powerful), you may flip BOTH cards to the opposite side

And there we have it folks! An awesome, awesome, AWESOME new mechanic in the game!!! ....If I'm right, of course.

Sure you can do that, but that's not nearly as fun as slamming Biggs into the pilot he was supposed to protect and then doing two Ruthless points of damage to him while Biggs looks on, helpless.

You can't actually slam him into the other ship, but you can hit him with your primary (where he'll be at agility 1) and as you say ruthless the other ship twice. Seems pretty solid. Vessery shoots before Biggs too.

Who uses Ruthlessness? Seriously.

No one, yet anyway. There's been talk about it lately because the TIE/D title lets you attack twice and thus get two triggers and potentially two, undodgeable extra damage a round, even from a weapon that doesn't normally inflict damage like the Tractor Beam.

So after going over some of the discussion, here are my thoughts on Adaptability.

It is double sided because you can flip-flop it between rounds. So basically the rule card will outline it this way-

2- At the beginning of the game, both copies must be on opposite sides of the card

3- At the start of the end phase (activation might be too powerful), you may flip BOTH cards to the opposite side

And there we have it folks! An awesome, awesome, AWESOME new mechanic in the game!!! ....If I'm right, of course.

This seems too complex and fiddly.  I agree that the card can most likely be changed during play, but I doubt that they are going to require two copies on opposite sides.  This would close off so much great design space if the cards were that limited.

It is simply a double sided card that you equip normally to a ship with a EPT slot.

Now the question that remain is:

When can you flip it?

1 - At the beginning of the game (based on player initiative I guess)

OR

2- Every round (either during End Phase or Activation Phase, but considering it is 0 point, most likely End Phase).

Edited by Wildhorn

Too complex. It's probably front/back and you decide which one you want in each round.

Come to think of it, is there an error in the article? Just checked the rulebook, and as far as I can tell you only roll to see if you suffer damage if you perform a maneuver that moves you over or onto an asteroid. Normally barrel rolls and boosts into them are outright disallowed, so the rules don't cover it.

No one, yet anyway. There's been talk about it lately because the TIE/D title lets you attack twice and thus get two triggers and potentially two, undodgeable extra damage a round, even from a weapon that doesn't normally inflict damage like the Tractor Beam.

Still hard to choose Ruthlessness over Outmaneuver or Predator for the same point cost. I just don't see Ruthlessness getting any more play than it currently stands.

Oooh. Barrel Roll Biggs out of range of the ace he is trying to protect. 

with Tie/D it doesnt say the second attack has to be against the same target...

Very true but!  Vessery will not have a target lock on the defender just waiting/wanting that second attack.

I'm pretty sure Adaptability works like split cards in MTG. My guess is that you choose which side of the card to use when the match begins (which lends itself to tournament play), but the implications of being able to adjust your PS round to round are fascinating. Especially when the only cost is the opportunity cost of your EPT.

Still hard to choose Ruthlessness over Outmaneuver or Predator for the same point cost. I just don't see Ruthlessness getting any more play than it currently stands.

Ruthlessness will let you do two damage to other ships in addition to the damage with the primary weapon with TIE/D and Tractor Beam.

If ships clump together, which they can do with tractor beam, you can spread around the damage without evades or defense dice.

Dual Cards open up a lot of neat design space, assuming that they can be flipped during gameplay. 

How about this?

Munitions pod.  Dual Card.  When a missile, torpedo, or bomb upgrade card instructs you to discard that card, you may instead flip this card to its other side. 

Munitions pod - reloading.  Dual Card.  You may flip this card over at the end of the next turn.

Come to think of it, is there an error in the article? Just checked the rulebook, and as far as I can tell you only roll to see if you suffer damage if you perform a maneuver that moves you over or onto an asteroid. Normally barrel rolls and boosts into them are outright disallowed, so the rules don't cover it.

There is no error in the article. The article mention "in the following round". It is easy to miss.

It all depends on the Pilot. Vessery, since we're talking TIE/Ds, doesn't want Predator as most of the time he'll be getting Target Locks for every shot. Outmaneuver vs. Ruthlessness is interesting though. If you're combining TIE/D with Tractor Beam Outmaneuver, while still being great against anything with 2-3 agility, isn't doing anything for you against a lot of ships that are currently popular(Y-wings, Falcon, Decimator, B-wings, Shuttle, etc.), and also things like the Ghost if it catches on. Granted, Ruthlessness isn't always going to be doing anything for you either, but Tractor Beam's repositioning effect makes it more likely you'll have valid splash damage targets and it can still come into play against those 1 Agility ships. I think it may be a bit of a tossup. 

I'm in the camp of being able to flip adaptability each turn if desired.  That will be a very fun mechanic.  I would be very surprised if you had to have both in your list, on opposite sides.  That's not very adaptable, but ultimately what if you only have one ship with an EPT?

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but the cards show the type of ship as "G-1A Starfighter" and the dial shows "G-1A Transport".

Let's not make an issue of this until we see what was actually printed. 

I'm not making any issue... I just noticed it, that's all. I know small mistakes like these have happened before in the previews and end up being corrected in the final products.