Sign in to follow this  
imprezagoatee

Mist Hunter preview!

I'll wager that we will be enlightened with the Punishing One preview.  That has to have more of these Dual Cards in there.

I bet there will be some nasty nasty combos in these two boxes...

:)  What a great time to be a new X-Wing player!  I'm gonna go paint a Pikachu A-Wing so I can buy more ships!

Just be sure to give it to Luke so he can do force lightning and scream out "PI-KA-CHUUUU" just to get the full effect :D

Is it me or are the Mist Hunter and Scum HWK-290 pilots a match made in heaven?

Torkil+ Tractor => I lower your ace to PS0, then put him on a rock so it can't shoot

Palob + Zuckuss => Almost the same as the 4LOM crew, except you don't ion yourself. Palob was already fun against Poe, maybe we'll see him more.

Too bad the hawk doesn't have a system, would have been fun to have Dace + Baffle (IFor every ion that hits, you take an extra damage, and I do too)

Zuckuss crew seems very powerfull on a ship which is a target for stresshogs and such: if you ever get double or triple stress, you can just choose to say 'screw it, for the rest of the match I will stay stressed, but I will reroll all the defense dice of my opponent to punch as much damage through as possible!' It is almost the same as giving yourself target locks the rest of the game.

Sounds like a very fun kamikaze playstyle.. wonder on which ship this fits best (maybe BH? since it doesn't have that many red manouvres which you lockout with stress?)

All in all a super fun expansion!

Like others, I see no reason to print this card on both sides if you're stuck with one side for a whole game.

It would be a way of easing a new mechanic into the game.

We can all agree that +1/-1 PS isn't a meta-smashing upgrade, and the card is still worth its cost whether or not you pick the effect once per game or once per round. However, as new Duals come out in the future with more powerful effects the early institutionalization of the upgrade type will be appreciated.

5 points, Reroll all attack dice/Reroll all defense dice would be a pretty fair single-selection dual, but possibly OP as a per-round selection Dual.

Lastly, having an upgrade for which you pick the effect at the start of the game is a GREAT panacea against the rock/scissor/paper vibe that sometimes plagues X-Wing. If you can pick an effect that helps you against Whisper in one game, but as a flip-side effect that can also help you against a Trandoshan Slaver in the next game, overall balance achieves an evening-out.

Zuckuss crew seems very powerfull on a ship which is a target for stresshogs and such: if you ever get double or triple stress, you can just choose to say 'screw it, for the rest of the match I will stay stressed, but I will reroll all the defense dice of my opponent to punch as much damage through as possible!' It is almost the same as giving yourself target locks the rest of the game.

Sounds like a very fun kamikaze playstyle.. wonder on which ship this fits best (maybe BH? since it doesn't have that many red manouvres which you lockout with stress?)

I'm tempted to try a Trandoshan Slaver with Zuckuss, 4-LOM, Tactician and Tractor Beam. It's like a Swiss army knife of trolling! What's that, Soontir only has one token left? He's not using that! He rolled two evades on his four dice anyway? Better re-roll those. He's at range two? Take a stress token! He's in the front arc, maybe at R3, next to an asteroid? Let's deny him his extra die, take away his evade token and re-roll his dice, and put him on it!

It'll die soon enough anyway, so just pile up those stress tokens and do a couple of 1-forwards, while your aces and TLT Thugs go up the flanks. Add Palob for maximum token denial. If you spend another four points you can add Anti-Pursuit Lasers and Dead Man's Switch.

Tractor Beam is SO much more than we thought. Tie/D title is completely sick now.

I guess we know why they changed the rule about boosting and barrel rolling off the board lol.

First favorite tractor shenanigans:

Roll Biggs away from the ships he is protecting. Defender can then fire at actual targets.

Boost Stresshog so that he doesn't have arc on any aces.

What was the rule adjustment on boosting and barrel rolling off the board? Looking it up, but I'm not seeing anything.

You can't boost/barrell roll of the board anymore.

But Tractor Beam can potentially force a small ship near the edge to boost forward enough that they could potentially have no room to turn before leaving the board.

I can also envision a crazy scheme where five Tractor Scyks essentially daisy-chain a helpless enemy ship into doing the equivelent of a 9-forward.

You sir, have a sick and twisted mind.

I like it!

Tractor Beam is SO much more than we thought. Tie/D title is completely sick now.

I guess we know why they changed the rule about boosting and barrel rolling off the board lol.

First favorite tractor shenanigans:

Roll Biggs away from the ships he is protecting. Defender can then fire at actual targets.

Boost Stresshog so that he doesn't have arc on any aces.

What was the rule adjustment on boosting and barrel rolling off the board? Looking it up, but I'm not seeing anything.

You can't boost/barrell roll of the board anymore.

But Tractor Beam can potentially force a small ship near the edge to boost forward enough that they could potentially have no room to turn before leaving the board.

I can also envision a crazy scheme where five Tractor Scyks essentially daisy-chain a helpless enemy ship into doing the equivelent of a 9-forward.

You sir, have a sick and twisted mind.

I like it!

Unfortunately it doesn't work, since only the first tractor token per round applies the forced movement.

I'm tempted to try a Trandoshan Slaver with Zuckuss, 4-LOM, Tactician and Tractor Beam. It's like a Swiss army knife of trolling! What's that, Soontir only has one token left? He's not using that! He rolled two evades on his four dice anyway? Better re-roll those. He's at range two? Take a stress token! He's in the front arc, maybe at R3, next to an asteroid? Let's deny him his extra die, take away his evade token and re-roll his dice, and put him on it!

It'll die soon enough anyway, so just pile up those stress tokens and do a couple of 1-forwards, while your aces and TLT Thugs go up the flanks. Add Palob for maximum token denial. If you spend another four points you can add Anti-Pursuit Lasers and Dead Man's Switch.

Love this!  But I'd make it Latts and replace tactician with K4.  Yeah, you don't do the stress, but you'll really ruin your targets efforts to evade.  Reduced agility, rerolling evades, and no tokens - it's going to hurt.

Love this!  But I'd make it Latts and replace tactician with K4.  Yeah, you don't do the stress, but you'll really ruin your targets efforts to evade.  Reduced agility, rerolling evades, and no tokens - it's going to hurt.

I thought of that too, but at the end of the day it's still just a (very precise) 3 dice primary. Tactician adds a little extra utility. Still, Latts lets you add a couple of mid-PS fighters to take advantage of the target's reduced agility. Cartel Aces with Predator or Crack Shot? 

G-1A Starfighter: · Zuckuss (28)

Juke (2)

Fire Control System (2)

Stygium Particle Accelerator (2)

· 4-LOM (1)

· Mist Hunter (0)

· Cloaking Device (2)

Tractor Beam (1)

Deal huge damage, and if you ionized yourself and can't shoot anyone even with the barrel roll, cloak!

on "adapters": can we just leave it out of discussion atm?!

it really depends on the rule-card, which we don't have. could be very good, could be useless, could be ANYTHING.

really no point in clogging up this thread with bird-innards ;)

Dial slightly better than B-Wing.

Hull/Shield distribution slightly better than B-Wing.

Wait. What am I missing? Why is 4 hull 4 shield better than 3 Hull 5 shield? Except under some very narrow circumstances, I'd pretty much always rather have shield (crit mitigation) than hull.

If you would read all the post before replying you would notice that I already noticed my mistake.

True, but with a fat turretwing such as Dengar, it could work.

True, maybe you could make it work with a Bandit and a 50 point Dengar. Title, K-4, VI and Intertial Dampeners?

He's already PS9 and even not knowing his dial, I have to say that I would bet Unhinged Astromech is a better investment than VI.  Especially considering you gave him K4.

True, maybe you could make it work with a Bandit and a 50 point Dengar. Title, K-4, VI and Intertial Dampeners?

He's already PS9 and even not knowing his dial, I have to say that I would bet Unhinged Astromech is a better investment than VI.  Especially considering you gave him K4.

the merc problem known as "I CAN'T MAKE HARD 3 TURNS seems to be obvious. FFG won't give us teh Batman-PWT

with all 3- set

I think one of the things I am most appreciative about on this ship is it's colour scheme - I've been repainting my squad into Black Sun colours, and the Mist Hunter is going to only need the slightest touchups to get there.

That said, I basically love everything I've seen about this expansion. 4-Lom has a lot of potential to be my new favourite ship to fly, and really helps manage the downsides of the ship's dial.

I'll wager that we will be enlightened with the Punishing One preview.  That has to have more of these Dual Cards in there.

I bet there will be some nasty nasty combos in these two boxes...

:)  What a great time to be a new X-Wing player!  I'm gonna go paint a Pikachu A-Wing so I can buy more ships!

I'm intrigued. What does Pikachu have to do with buying more ships?

Nevermind, I figured it out. Gotta catch 'em all, right?

the merc problem known as "I CAN'T MAKE HARD 3 TURNS seems to be obvious. FFG won't give us teh Batman-PWT

with all 3- set

It could have one but not two? Would that be weird?

I think one Tractor Beam Scyk could make it in a list.  It would have to be the same PS or at least somewhat higher than most of the rest of the list. 

I'm thinking of the 3 Kihraxz w/ 2 Scyk w/ Ion list change to  3 Kihraxz w/ 1 Scyk w/ Ion and 1 Scyk w/ Tractor Beam

I don't think massing Tractor Beams is the way to go.  There are a lot of times when the Tractor won't really be worth it for most lists.  I think having one in a list is not bad at all.  It can move someone out of line and/or lower the defensive dice for an easier kill. 

I can even see Laetin as being a viable option for Tractor Beam in a list.  If you use the Tractor Beam well enough, then he will draw some fire.  Yes....he doesn't have PTL, but you can still last longer for only 21 pts.