Sign in to follow this  
TalosX

Force Speed?

Okay, we see this in The Phantom Menace when Qui-Gon and Obi-Won run from the droideka's at the start of the movie.  How would we simulate this power?  Personally, I think it should be covered under Enhance, but it's not mentioned.  You could just narrative down that Force Jump is also Force Speed, but you'd need the Range upgrade before it'd even have a point, plus it takes some of the awe out of the crazy Force Jumps.

Any idea's?

Enhance Force leap. Narrate it as running. 

Except you can have Force Leap, and still not have Force Speed.  Until you buy the range upgrade, it's normal movement speed.

I like the idea others have mentioned about Athletics.  So what Qui-Gon and Obi-Won did was represented more by "The Chase" mechanics on foot, using Enhance to boost Athletics and drastically outdistance the droideka's.

And then they never used it again.

Even though it would have been useful for Obi Wan to run quickly through through those force fields.

Force Speed in the movies was because the writers didn't know how to get the jedis out of that scene.

I think mechanics-wise they didn't want characters to act like the flash.

I don't think that's the issue.  Force Speed was in TPM and TCW.  It's been in the vast majority of SW video games.  It's been canon-ized for well over a decade now.  Regardless of what people might like, it is part of the setting.  I think it's easily handled by Enhanced Athletics/Force Leap narratives for the most part.  No need to create a new power when it is easily handled by what we have.  Just like Sith Sorcery is easily duplicated by Unleash/Misdirect/Move applications!

Yeah, an daunting athletics check or greater would perfectly represent a movement that could only be accomplished by extreme speed or stamina. It also might have more to do with the fact that the system is so abstract to begin with, that force powers themselves must also be created to be used in a flexable manner. Force push and telekenetic combat, to wield weapons like in your hands, for example could easily be accomplished by move object.

Enhance Athletics or narrative leap should do it. Flipping a destiny point.

Don't need a flipping destiny if it's already gained from narrative leap with the upgrade or just enhanced athletics.

Add in strain for an extra movement and even more movement.

Or upgrade of force leap to a movement instead of an action and then you can do two movements that are force leaps in one round to simulate

Edited by Kilcannon

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect we might see a power like this in one of the future career books. Currently it looks like they're putting out one new Force power per book, so this one is a good candidate. That would also explain why there's no speed upgrade under Enhance or one of the other powers.

There is also the "Quick Movement" talent in the Pathfinder tree which is one of the very rare possible ways to use 3 Move maneuvers in a single round. I would expect to see that talent pop up in some other trees sooner or later.

edit: Combined with a good Athletics or Coordination (the most thematic Skills for the OP's purpose) roll you may even recover the Strain cost that turn.

Edited by Richardbuxton

It's Enhance, and it's already in there. 

In this system, you can use Force Leap to move to any point out to Medium Range (with the right upgrade) as an Action. You may have the option to do it as a maneuver if you've bought up high enough, but you can always do it as an Action.  That leaves you still with two actual Maneuvers. 

So you Move (maneuver), move (2nd maneuver), Force "leap" to Medium range (Action); sounds pretty fast to me.

Well, since the FP from Enhance can be used to generate either successes or advantages on Athletics or Coordination checks, you can simply use those FP to help generate the two advantage needed for a free maneuver, which you then use to move an additional range band during your turn, and then narrating it as the Force user just simply moving incredibly quick.

Alternatively, what's come up in a couple games I've played in is my PC using Enhance to boost up an Athletics or Coordination check during a chase sequence, and if my successes massively outnumbered (double or more) what the person I was chasing rolled, then the GM would move me one additional range band closer.

So taking that bit, perhaps allow the PC to use their Action for the round to make an Athletics check with the Enhance power, and enable them to spend 2 Force Points to move an extra range band as part of their Maneuver that turn.  I admit it's still pretty good (since you don't have to spend additional XP for it beyond purchasing the base power), but you've still got to deal with difficult terrain and impassable terrain, where the Force Leap ability lets you bypass all that.

Edit: I remember from the days of playing OCR/RCR d20 Star Wars, and how silly the Force Speed chain of feats could get, especially Master Speed which effectively turned your PC into The Flash.  Saga Edition's surge power wasn't quite so bad, but then I most often used that to boost my PC's jumping distance than to cover a lot of ground in a hurry.  Though I did have one PC that used surge to quickly catch up to a villain that was trying to flee on a speeder bike.  The GM was rather surprised at that turn of events, though admittedly he probably should have had the bad guy do a double move.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

Fully upgraded Enhance allows you to move from engaged to Medium 3 times in 1 turn for just 2 Strain, or in other terms from Engaged to Extreme Range in a single round if nothing but moving is done... thats dam near close enough to the Flash for me, i cant see how a "Force Speed" power would differentiate itself enough from this to be worth a seperate Force Power.

And actually combining the Quick Movement talent with a Skill Check and 2 uses of Upgraded Enhance you could move from Short to Extreme and perform an Action, for 4 Strain!

These 2 methods of enhancing your speed require a decent XP investment, but so they should if they allow you to get into and out of range so fast it needs a cost.

So taking that bit, perhaps allow the PC to use their Action for the round to make an Athletics check with the Enhance power, and enable them to spend 2 Force Points to move an extra range band as part of their Maneuver that turn.  I admit it's still pretty good (since you don't have to spend additional XP for it beyond purchasing the base power), but you've still got to deal with difficult terrain and impassable terrain, where the Force Leap ability lets you bypass all that.

Thats better than the 20XP Quick Movement talent, so possibly 2 strain and a Destiny Point, but even thats borderline too close.

Not really.

Quick Movement is an incidental, which means that if no FPs are generated, the character's not out anything except the two points of strain (which can probably be recovered quite easily), where if they fail to generate an FPs with Enhance, they've used their Action and have nothing to show for it.

Of course, may depend on how strict you are with movement and range bands.  I'm not, so the difference between the two ideas isn't that great of one.  But for a GM that is strict about using Move maneuvers to change range bands, I suppose it could be more of an issue.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

But you do need to be making a check anyway to use QM, but i see where your coming from in tying it to a singe skill rather than any skill and the lack of flexibility. But for those times where the PC with QM wants to use Athletics and all the other players with Enhance do the same thing for less the QM PC is going to be saying "you did what?"

Just saying i think it needs an extra downside to avoid over use, a DP would work IMHO, but being a house rule it really just  needs agreement at the table.