Sign in to follow this  
mfairhu1

Best way to encourage new players?

Hi,

I'm trying to encourage some new players to this great game. We've already played the standard X Wing vs Tie Fighter set-up as per the starter pack, but it didn't really grip everybody.

Using the ships I have in my signature, what lists would you recommend to start people off with? I was thinking of teaming up two players as Scum and Imperials acting together against one player with the Rebels.

I'd like to stick with thematic ships from the original trilogy if possible as these people are a bit unfamiliar with the EU.

Cheers for any help you might have,

Falcon vs Tie Fighters is an option captures the feel of the escape from the DS in A New Hope. Could do a Falcon + Luke in a X, or Luke as crew and fewer Ties.

But the question is... Did they not like it because of the rules, the mechanics or because it doesn't feel like Star Wars? If they're more into RPGs, perhaps the co-op campaign might be more their speed.

Thanks for the ideas so far, fellas.

The people I'm hoping to get into the game are really into the Original Trilogy and have no knowledge of the EU. They've not played any RPGs just things like Risk and Axis and Allies.

We tried out the suggested scenario in the core set just using generic pilots to try and learn the games mechanics. It went down fairly well, but I'm looking to really show off the game at its best without confusing anyone too much.

Edited by mfairhu1

Wedge or Luke (no R2-D2)

Gold Squadron w/ ion

vs

Darth Vader

Academy pilot x 2

In my opinion this is the perfect intro game. It combines theme and simplicity, and represents the core gameplay well (also lightly introduces the concept of turrets, which any new player will have to come to grips with sooner or later).

I have played Han + Luke vs Boba Fett and Vader a couple times for people who really wanted to fly the big ships (mostly the Falcon), but I don't feel like it really makes a good first game.  It might also be helpful to just ask what aspect of star wars most interests the potential players, and try to tailor a game to that.  Classic OT matchups are usually a safe bet, but maybe there are some people who would be much more captivated by a TIE Defender or the Scum and Villainy faction.

Here's a Rebel list I came up with that's OT thematic, and should be fun to play. You may have to proxy a couple cards (Integrated Astromech, AutoThrusters), but eh. Don't worry about that. Similarly: I always prefer R5-P9 on Luke. But that's not _thematic_.

Han Solo (46)

Chewbacca (4)

Millennium Falcon (1)

Luke Skywalker (28)

R2-D2 (4)

Integrated Astromech (0)

Prototype Pilot (17)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

As a compliment to the Rebel list above, here's a suggested Imperial list.

You can't _not_ run Darth Freaking Vader! I mean. He's Darth Vader! And if you're running Vader, you need to have ATC and X1. Proxy them. Don't worry about it.

Next up are Backstabber and Mauler. Why those guys? Because those were Darth's wingmen in the Deathstar Trench. With that many TIEs on the board, you want Howlrunner, so she's next on our list. And that leaves 16 points left over for... Another TIE. Dark Curse.

Yup. There are better ways to build this list. Don't worry about that. This list should be _fun_. Lots of strong theming. Probably a lot of noob bumping into their own ships on accident as well. Because that's a lot of TIEs. :)

Darth Vader (29)

Predator (3)

Advanced Targeting Computer (1)

TIE/x1 (0)

"Backstabber" (16)

"Mauler Mithel" (17)

"Howlrunner" (18)

"Dark Curse" (16)

Total: 100

Do you have any ideas on why it didn't stick? For example, did it feel too complicated to them? Not complicated enough? If you can figure that out, you can find a way to enhance their experience. :)

2v2 tends to be slower, and for new players this can make it feel dull.  Maybe let them get some more 1v1 practice before doing big complicated battles. New players often feel intimidated when they don't understand the abilities on all the other cards the other players in a 2v2 have.

Do you have any ideas on why it didn't stick? For example, did it feel too complicated to them? Not complicated enough? If you can figure that out, you can find a way to enhance their experience. :)

2v2 tends to be slower, and for new players this can make it feel dull.  Maybe let them get some more 1v1 practice before doing big complicated battles. New players often feel intimidated when they don't understand the abilities on all the other cards the other players in a 2v2 have.

Cheers for the advice.

The feedback was that it was fun, but there was too much k turning and so the flying became predictable. I guess that was partly my fault for not placing the asteroids in a better layout.

These are smart guys who I reckon could handle complexity if the learning curve was right.

And now the Scum.

Everyone likes the same pool of Imperial and Rebel people. But people who like Scum tend to have some deep favorites. I once knew a guy who only got into X-Wing when IG-88 rolled out- and he had the bare minimum stuff he could buy to run a pair IG-88s. You best believe that we set up an epic game for him so he could run QuadBots!

So! I hope you've got a friend who likes Boba Fett. You are almost guaranteed to need to proxy something. Ah well!

So: we start with Boba in the Firespray. Not just any Firespray, but Slave 1. Article 9 section 15 of the US Constitution clearly says you have to put the Slave 1 title on Boba Fett's Firespray, and I don't want you to go to Federal Game Jail.

Next: Glitterstim. Because Boba + drugs = theme. It's also a good upgrade on him. And finally: Veteran Instincts. That PS 10 will give fits to ships with repositioning abilities. Darth won't be able to Target Lock quite as easily, for instance.

And now: Kavil. With TLT. And the Agromech. Out of arc, he'll get 4 dice twice. And the Agromech means he gets to modify those dice. I know, right? Just remember that TLT caps damage at 1 per attack.

And finally: a pair of Z-95s. Opponent of this list will want to ignore them in fear of the other 2 ships. That is how and why they will live forever. Plink. Plink. Plink. 2 dice attacks after opponents have spent tokens trying to defend against other attacks.

This list is only really thematic in the sense of being a mishmash of a bunch of little things. I think it should be fun to fly, and have the sort of tricks that Scum are known for.

Boba Fett (Scum) (39)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Glitterstim (2)

Slave I (0)

Kavil (24)

Twin Laser Turret (6)

R4 Agromech (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Total: 98

Cheers for the advice.

The feedback was that it was fun, but there was too much k turning and so the flying became predictable. I guess that was partly my fault for not placing the asteroids in a better layout.

I didn't put asteroids down for my first several games. The game got _fun_ once I started laying them down. If you're the one setting up the layout, I recommend looking at some how-to guides, to see what interesting configurations there are.

Low ship numbers, and few upgrades is the best. I do like to use a few though so people can get a taste of the more advanced stuff.

So perhaps something like...

Han Solo (58) YT-1300 (46), Chewbacca (4), Luke Skywalker (7), Millennium Falcon (1)

“Howlrunner” (21)TIE Fighter (18), Stealth Device (3)

Academy Pilot (12) x 3

Both small lists, but gives both players a feel for how the game goes.

Best way in my book?  Have them witness a gaming night where lots of players are playing with passion.  Seing a few ships flying around is one thing.  Seeing a Falcon on one table, a Firespray on another, a Raider dueling a corvette and people laughing and throwing dice fanatically... it leaves a nice impression :)

New players only calculate their own efficiency. And thus assume a joust is the best thing to do.

But interestingly enough to avoid arcs you actually require a turning radius that slowly banks in. This radius reduction will continue for about 2 to 3 turns before you have to pick a new target or overall curve. Or Kturn.

The funny part for these smart fellas is that actually theoretically... Only one side actually should be attempting to joust. Because one way or another one list has been up front damage.

Try not to use PWT. That would give a kind of no-brainer image to the game.

No it really doesn't. First off PWT are not nearly that powerful, and second it takes time before the nuances of flying start to become apparent.

Also anyone who doesn't find Luke, Han and Chewie fighting off some Tie Fighters to be one of the more iconic things you can do in this game... They can't be much of a Star Wars fan.

Try not to use PWT. That would give a kind of no-brainer image to the game.

No it really doesn't. First off PWT are not nearly that powerful, and second it takes time before the nuances of flying start to become apparent.Also anyone who doesn't find Luke, Han and Chewie fighting off some Tie Fighters to be one of the more iconic things you can do in this game... They can't be much of a Star Wars fan.

100% agree with you, seeing Han, Chewie and Luke going pew pew pew against TIEs in an asteroid field is the most beautiful thing ever. Although I would prefer the Rebel scum died :P