Sign in to follow this  
Slugrage

PSA: 360-degree Firing Arc

Sure, this is a point of semantics, but it's important to remember when we're phrasing how things work in this game - especially when teaching new players - that all small and large ships have a primary weapon arc (or firing arc). Some have an auxiliary firing arc. Some have a turret primary weapon. But nothing in this game has a 360-degree firing arc.

This cannot be repeated enough: NOTHING HAS A 360-DEGREE FIRING ARC.

It would either invalidate or over-power so many upgrades if any ship were to have a 360-degree primary arc. A turret allows you to attack outside of the weapon arc, in addition to attacking inside the arc as well. Every turret secondary weapon has the qualifier on the card of: "Attack: Attack 1 ship (even a ship outside your firing arc)."

From the Rules Reference Guide, Page 19

TURRET PRIMARY WEAPON
    Some ships use a turret as their primary weapon.
    Each of these ships has a unique primary weapon
    icon, and each ship token shows a circular red arrow
    around the token’s center as a reminder. When
    attacking with a turret primary weapon, a ship may
    target an enemy ship inside or outside its firing arc.
    • A ship with a turret primary weapon still has a
    printed firing arc that is not 360º.

• When attacking with a secondary weapon, the
    ship must still target an enemy ship inside its
    firing arc (unless specified otherwise on its
    Upgrade card).

For example, if it was true that a ship did have a 360-degree firing arc, then Tactician would work ALL THE WAY around the ship in a giant Range 2 ring - "After you perform an attack against a ship inside your firing arc at Range 2, that ship receives 1 stress token." Then any attack, with a true 360-degree firing arc would always be in arc, and anything at range 2 in any direction would be subject to the card ability.

Autothrusters would rarely work as you would never be outside of the firing arc - "When defending, if you are beyond Range 2 or outside the attacker's firing arc..." Any ship with a true 360-degree firing arc would nullify Autothrusters from ever being outside of the arc.

It's a slight, but incredibly important, distinction for this game to function properly.

Really. Should I just call you Sheldon from now on. What a waste of network space to hold his message

How is it a waste at all ? It was a good post. Don't like it, then don't read it. 

We won't actually know it is a good or bad post until an idiot posts one of those memes with all the ships in a circle.

It might bug you that I say "all the way 'round" instead of "even outside your firing arc". ;)

I don't even know if I've EVER seen/heard anyone put it that way: "360 degree". I play more than I read the forums or teach newbies... so maybe people say "360", but I just don't hear it.

So if I'm teaching newbies, is this a good way to say it?:

Firing arcs are only printed on the ship tokens: front, auxillary or special. And ship's that can shoot their Primary Weapon all-the-way-around, have the circular arrow printed in the center.

Edited by dewbie420

Really. Should I just call you Sheldon from now on. What a waste of network space to hold his message

How is it a waste at all ? It was a good post. Don't like it, then don't read it. 

We won't actually know it is a good or bad post until an idiot posts one of those memes with all the ships in a circle.

Look what you've done, now he won't come here anymore :P

[oo]         [oo]         [oo]           [oo]           [oo]

&%^#%$# &%#8%&%^#%$# &%#8%&%^#%$#        <<<<<<<<<<<<< your dudes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by DariusAPB

I think it's a good post. If you go back and re-read somd of the threads explaining this mechanic, more than once you'll see someone using the expression "360° arc". Using the word "arc" becomes confusing in this instance. For a noobie this can be very frustrating.

Edit: Even in this example 360° arc is used. The 'arc' should be dropped and 360° just used.

Edited by Stoneface

There are lots of little rules and such that we experienced players take for granted and just sort of shortcut about when talking about the game. The difference between "a ship that can fire outside its arc", and a "ship that has a 360 degree arc" has enormous rules implications. For instance: Backstabber can't use his ability on a GR-75 Transport, as it has _no_ printed arc.

Similarly, we talk about "hit"s and "crit"s all the time in the context of dice. And that can 100% confuse someone new- in the context of dice, those terms don't exist in this game. They only exist in the context of canceled and uncanceled results. But we shorthand the dice symbols to what they might be if uncanceled all the time. Once you have a strong grasp of the game, it makes sense to do so. But it's totally understandable that a new player would- and usually do- have questions.

Oh! And I've had a _lot_ of new players ask me the difference between "maneuvers" and "movement". And why a "maneuver" is't an "action".

And _every_ player seems to have questions about the difference between "deal a damage card" and "suffer damage".

This stuff isn't complex, but it _is_ jargon. And as jargon, it masquerades as plain English. That adds a layer of difficulty to the learning process. It's absolutely worth taking the time out to make sure that we all know what we're talking about when we skip a few steps for the sake of brevity.