Sign in to follow this  
Rasseman83

Generic Tie Advanced in competetive environments

So. I've read some topics about which ships are competetively viable today.

And I've looked at most of the recent tournaments with 20+ players from worlds untill today.

And I have yet to see one Tempest Squadron Pilot with Accuracy Corrector in the top half.

Why is that? I find it a very durable and effective ship for 21 points.

A nationals winning list included 3x AC tempests with Fel (Canadian? correct me if Im wrong people!) so it is being used successfully at high level competiton, but I agree it doesn't  seem as popular as you might expect for a ship which is now highly efficient since the fix. I think at least part of that reason is its relatively clunky dial which has not much green and lacks either a 1 straight or 1 turn. If it had either of these moves available I think it would see a lot more play.

As a personal preference I would take an Omega TIE/fo (crackshot or juke/comms relay) over an AC tempest, mainly due to the fo's vastly superior dial.

Blame the meta rather than the ship.  

For whatever reasons, there's currently a hefty emphasis on highly repositional, reactive craft - Poe, Soontir, Vader and Miranda all figure heavily - and ships that shoot at them well - stressbots and TLTs in particular.

The generic PS2 AC TIE Advanced isn't especially well equipped to deal with these... but there's no reason they couldn't. Heck, with AC, they're actually a potentially useful pick against a Y-wing; the evade every round can often be used to negate a hit entirely, and their offense should burn down AGI 1 easily enough... just pair them with something that can actually kill Poe, Corran, and similar regenerating rebel aces; 2 hits a shot just doesn't cut it!

Give 'em a try. The meta really is pretty well wide open right now. Certain ships are hitting top notch... but Paul's world-winning list was hardly the inevitable result of a predominant archetype. It was 'merely' solid. :)

I'm going to be running a 3 Tempests and Soontir list at a tournament soon, mainly because I got 3 of the Advanced title cards as a Christmas present!

Haven't seen much of the Advanced even after the fix came out so I'm hoping to catch a few folk out with this list.

Or it could all go terribly wrong... :lol:  

I've been running 3 Advanced (Vader, Juno, Steele) but it's not working well for me, lost my last 9 matches in a row with it.  Even with ATC, they just don't put out the damage fast enough or consistently enough.

As far as the 3 Generics in a top Nationals list:  Which Nationals?  Cause, they weren't at GenCon last summer, we were the first to even get a chance to buy the Raider, and they handed out the vouchers after the matches started....

Try four advanced each with sensor jammer and proton rockets for 24p / ship. Additionally I added a twin ion engine, but the new guidance chip may also fit very well. When you can use your ships to block enemy aces, the sensor jammer makes them very hard to kill. Just ensure to hit with your rockets and your damage output is fine as well.

I think the meta has widened from where it was before, but I don't think it's really taken in everything.  I think there are a lot of viable lists these days, but I don't think the tournament players have really taken all the possible list types that are viable.  That's why I hate it when people point to tournament results to see if something is competitive or not.  Just because someone doesn't take it doesn't mean it's not viable. 

Yeah, I've got a tournament this Saturday and I'm currently planning on running Fel and three Tempests. I worry a bit that they won't output damage fast enough against 3 Agility / TLTs, but they're tough little buggers at 5 HP with an Evade every round and the FCS Brobots that are their Kryptonite aren't as big a part of the meta than they were a few months ago.

I just saw this take second at a local tournament this past weekend (19 players).  Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to fly against it myself, but the math behind it is intimidating.  The guy who flew it did a great job with it.

It's carrying 13 less hull points than accurate B's, though, so it's a bit more crunchy.

I believe it was a Canadian nationals list last year that had 3 TIE Advanced with AC and Fel.  

I like the idea of the build, though I've run Vader/Juno/Palpmobile and been intrigued by how it works.  Juno has AC, Mk II, and PtL while Vader is a standard EU, ATC, and VI.  I got shredded my first game out due to poor flying.  My second game was better and Juno did her job of mid range plinking.  I would evade with her and PtL barrel rolls in as needed.  I'm afraid that as I have my list there is too low of firepower to really be worthwhile, though Vader/Emperior dropping crits all over the place in my second game really helped, so I dunno.

Going to play it more this week and see what I think.

Tie Advance are nice reliable and sturdy

problem is teyll bounce off of enemy dice and tokens

need someone to calculate a quantity of ACs you need to nab soonts

TLTs are food to AC and a solid dial

I think the solution to this is chimps and conc missiles to give ac tempests a relatively reliable 4 dice burst on those ships they have a tough time wearing down.

Well do we prefer Concussion Missiles or Proton Rockets with GCs? I love the two free blank-to-hits on a 4-dice roll with Concs, but man I love blocking with my AC Tempests and feel like just throwing all four in close, take four Focus tokens, and wait to see who blocks what and then applying one or more 5-dice attacks with Focus + blank-to-hit? Concs still need that TL to set up and I'm always a little iffy about not taking an Evade...

Do we know which missile averages more damage like that?

Edit: I keep forgetting the Chimps are better than Autothrusters and let you change a die to a Hit from either blank or eyeball. Hm.

Edited by Tsiegtiez

I recently placed 4th out of 28 at a Store Champs with 2 AC Tempests, 1 ATC Storm, and Soontir with PTL AT and TIE Mkii

I wanted to run 3 Tempests but only had 2 copies of AC and decided to run with the cards I had instead of borrowing from a friend.

I arrived at the tourney having never flown the list before, and hadn't run any of the ships in it more than 3 or 4 times in other games before - I'm very much a noob when it comes to imperials - hence TIE Mkii on Soontir, I fly him so badly I need as much green on the dial as I can get :)

I was very impressed with their reliability - you've got 2 shields and 3 hull behind 3 green dice, and you're taking an evade each turn because you don't need to worry about offensive actions. Stress isn't a major issue because your offensive modification is taken care of. When you need to you can just ignore stress,  pull a white maneuver and keep coming at your opponent - it's a great way to make sure the stresshog goes down as quickly as possible, and can really take your opponent by surprise sometimes.

Only game I lost was against a Vader-Fel-Palpmobile list and a guy who has won several store champs - so he was no slouch.

He won the initiative roll, and gave me initiative so was able to move Vader and Fel after my Fel - and that usually only ends one way for the Baron.

But he still wasn't able to table me and I managed to rattle him into making a few mistakes, nearly taking out Vader - had I moved second and been able to take his shuttle down a little quicker it would have been a much closer game.

As others have mentioned, the lack if a 1 straight and the stingy number of green banks is a pain - but the 1 green bank is a decent consolation prize, and TIE MKii will fix the second issue. So I've got another Punisher and Starviper making their way to me through the post to address that very issue.

So next time I think I'll try this:

99 points
Pilots ------
Tempest Squadron Pilot (22) x 3 TIE Advanced (21), TIE/x1 (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1), Accuracy Corrector (3)
Soontir Fel (33) TIE Interceptor (27), Royal Guard TIE (0), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

I believe it was a Canadian nationals list last year that had 3 TIE Advanced with AC and Fel.  

I like the idea of the build, though I've run Vader/Juno/Palpmobile and been intrigued by how it works.  Juno has AC, Mk II, and PtL while Vader is a standard EU, ATC, and VI.  I got shredded my first game out due to poor flying.  My second game was better and Juno did her job of mid range plinking.  I would evade with her and PtL barrel rolls in as needed.  I'm afraid that as I have my list there is too low of firepower to really be worthwhile, though Vader/Emperior dropping crits all over the place in my second game really helped, so I dunno.

Going to play it more this week and see what I think.

I've been running something very similar to this Savage however am trying out the ATC on both pilots.  I went 4-1 recently and think I'll run it again tomorrow at a local league night to see if it's got teeth.  Me being a gumby pilot however doesn't make an accurate representation if the list is good or not however keep in mind!  Can't help but feel however that Palps so a huge point sink for what he brings to the table.

You can try to fit in those nifty FO aces now.

Tempest Squadron Pilot (21)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Tempest Squadron Pilot (21)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Targeting Computer (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Wired (1)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 100

Would prefer to have SD on Fel but  Zeta Leader (High roller) with a good dial and firing 3 dice when he can helps with the damage output.

Wait until imp vets comes out and you'll see vessery and three AC advanced around.

BE STILL MY BEATING HEART.

The only problem with that list is that Vessery is SO obviously the first target. Soontir and 3 Tempests has the advantage that unless your opponent is running a Stressbot or a Vaderboat nobody really wants to be wasting shots on a tokened-up Soontir, which only leaves them the tanky little Advanceds as easy targets. Vessery's great but he's an obvious glass cannon to be focussed down ASAP, and once he's off the board the Tempests don't have enough gun to crack, say, Poe unless they get really lucky.

Edited by Rodafowa

Why is that? I find it a very durable and effective ship for 21 points.

Oh but it is, and the reasons (I think) is that the ship falls to TLT spam and aces who are quite prevalent, as well as its 2 attack dice.

Because even though they hit 100% it is still only a maximum of 2 damage and is often not enough to punch through a token stack/filthy regen platform.

Edited by Keffisch

Wait until imp vets comes out and you'll see vessery and three AC advanced around.

BE STILL MY BEATING HEART.

The only problem with that list is that Vessery is SO obviously the first target. Soontir and 3 Tempests has the advantage that unless your opponent is running a Stressbot or a Vaderboat nobody really wants to be wasting shots on a tokened-up Soontir, which only leaves them the tanky little Advanceds as easy targets. Vessery's great but he's an obvious glass cannon to be focussed down ASAP, and once he's off the board the Tempests don't have enough gun to crack, say, Poe unless they get really lucky.

Especially because Vessery is going to be running in a TIE/D instead of the much more durable x7. Vessery with a double-lock double-tap is a great source of damage but he still needs a lot of support overall I feel.

That's where vessery comes in he either lands a TB hit removing soontir's SD and knocking him down to two agility or he forces fel to spend his tokens to avoid the hit leaving him with naked dice.

Yes vessery is a priority target but he's got six hit points he's not that vulnerable at range three and by the time they are at two they will be down a ship.

Which is all well and fine, but Fel and Vader both moving after Vessery make it that much harder on him. He can only take a Focus for defense and that only goes so far, as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love him and both shiny Defender titles, but the TIE/D still has the same problem with taking damage as the vanilla ship.

Edit: Never mind things like Miranda or Poe with their regen shenanigans and positioning

Edited by Tsiegtiez