Sign in to follow this  
JP_JP

Saber Throw and multiple hits ?!?

I was thinking about maybe building an Armorer ; I thought about using Saber Throw with a Double-bladed Lightsaber and wondered if you could trigger the Linked quality when doing Saber Throw ?

I think that RAW, you could... but I'm not so sure...

I'm pretty sure the other players in my group would argue this combo if I ever used it.

So my question is simple...

Would you allow multiple hits from diverse source (Double-bladed Lightsaber or Sarlac Sweep) when using the Saber Throw action ?

Thanks

No I wouldn't allow saber throw and linked quality to be combined. Nor would I use multiple hits from diverse sources. So you wouldn't be able to Sarlac Sweep and then active link on the second target if you already used link on the first. Nor would you be able to saber throw and then active sarlac sweep.

At least that's how I would rule. 

Edit: Changed my mind. I would allow Linked and Sabre Throw together although sources of Linked don't stack, so it's either Double-Bladed(weapon Quality) or Sabre Swarm(manoeuvre) with Sabre Throw to get multiple hits at range.

Sarlacc Sweep on the other hand is its own Action, and you can only use 1 action per round. So Sabre Swarm which is also an Action and Sarlacc Sweep are not able to be used together by RAW.

Edited by Richardbuxton

To me linked on the double lightsabre is about how you control the weapon. And if you toss it then you're not maintaining the level of control needed to deliver a second hit. In theory, with saber throw, it hits the person as it passes by them. So unless you stop it there's no real way in my mind to deliver that second hit as the saber is going to continue on throw (unless you spend the pip to recall it). I feel the same way about Sabre Swarm, the blade hits once as it moves past the character. You're able to hit multiple times with linked and Swarm mostly because you're standing right there in front of the target and not moving through him with the weapon. One of the limiting, and balancing factors, to me for lightsabres is the fact that they are a close combat weapon and that people can gain the advantage of avoiding the worst damage by keeping Jedi at range. 

Granted I also think a double sabre attack thrown attack should be apart of a Ja Kari talent tree. 

I'd absolutely allow linked with throw. You took the time to purchase the throw talent, succeeded the roll with the proper success, advantage and force pip and it's not really overpowered especially with the risk of the weapon not coming back so why not. As for sense it works fine, throwing a light saber has always been portrayed not like a spear throw but rather the blade spinning around, thus it could be seen rather simply as a single complete rotation whilst passing the target causing both blades to hit or even the return of the blade if needs be.

I don't much agree with the above poster that there's any balancing issue considering this requires the purchase of a force talent not to mention an expensive blade, risks not returning and the production of a force pip on top of the two advantage, etc. Plenty of extra risk there especially considering that the same can almost be achieved with force enhance except there you have less risk.

Edited by Dark Bunny Lord

My general thoughts on stuff my players ask or try to do, if it doesn't break the game, I'll consider it.

One of my players though, I know if he asks, it must break the game somehow.

I'd probably allow Linked (either from a double-bladed 'saber or from the Saber Swarm talent, not both) to be used in conjunction with Saber Throw.  Yes, it's potent (especially if using Saber Swarm and you've got multiple Force dice uncommitted), but it's not an automatic thing either, as the player could very easily generate zero Advantages.

I do agree that Sarlacc Sweep is right out, since that's its own action.

For me? Totally allowed.

Not breaking the game? Checked

Being a Force Talent and thus all explanations related to be physically impossible being invalid? Checked

Taking the time and effort to purchase or use anything different than Heavy Blaster Rifle+Sharpshooter? Checked

Needing to roll 2 pips on the Force Dice? Checked

So yes, why not?

I would allow linked with Fine Manipulation of the Lightsaber (as in a character is actual using it to attack from afar) or Salarc sweep (just the one attack directed to everyone engaged. The character is willingly spreading his damage out rather then focusing on a target)

I wouldn't allow linked with a throw. It isn't a focused, multi hit attack. Because an attack narratively speaking is a flexible period of time, the narrative being is that a object is lobbed, will slice through something once as it passes through, then it's passed by the target. It's not available to make another attack. 

What I would offer however; is a boost dice or two to the check, because a rapidly spinning double saber; it simply has a bigger threat radius then a standard lightsaber thrown and balienced out by the fact that double sabers are generally massive. The difficulty in hiding it is something that shouldn't be ignored, but a character should also be rewarded a little for getting that far.

It's further balanced by the fact you use the Ranged Light not Lightsabre skill so you have to drop EXP into two Skills to be any good at it.

The Talent Saber Throw uses the Lightsaber Skill, not even specified which one, so you can use your Niman Technique or other form specific LS skill with it.

Unless I am missed something, Linked only allows you to hit one target multiple times. So your saber throw is only slicing and dicing ONE target as the rest of his/her friends watch in total disbelief and unharmed. 

So I do not seeing Salarc Sweep + Saber Throw being anymore powerful that what the game already allows.

Lets not forget that autofire is by far cheaper (can get jury rig for 30xp), more flexible (able to hit multiple targets) and does more damage than this. 

Allowable. 

Edited by Arrakus

It's further balanced by the fact you use the Ranged Light not Lightsabre skill so you have to drop EXP into two Skills to be any good at it.

The Talent Saber Throw uses the Lightsaber Skill, not even specified which one, so you can use your Niman Technique or other form specific LS skill with it.

Correct, I confused it with the Move Power.

Correct, I confused it with the Move Power.

Actually, the Move power uses Discipline.  While it's not stated under the power itself in FaD, it is cited in the description for Discipline in the Skills chapter.

Edit: Which admittedly is an odd omission since EotE and AoR both cite the Move power as using Discipline in order to attack someone with a hurled object.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

I was referring to this (which I think is the best way to handle Sabre Throw because it is consistent with this form of Force Move): F&D pg 298

CONTROL 
The Force user can hurl objects to damage targets, by making a ranged 
combat check combined with a Move power check, dealing damage 
equal to 10 times silhouette.

As for using Discipline I was under the impression it was if a PC/NPC wanted to Resist being affected by a power (F&D pg 283).

I double checked the Discipline description (pg120) and it uses "may" in all the examples. I'm guessing it is an option to simulate situations that are especially stressful or non-attack uses for the power (like moving allies).
Edited by FuriousGreg