Sign in to follow this  
LightningGirl

So what is next?

FFG will do what they will do. They already have a plan of action. Whether or not that includes anything on the Clone Wars remains to be seen. I am doubtful as it doesn't fit their line at this time. If they consider anything in a dedicated format to the Clone Wars it will be far down the line when they have completed much of the work on the current line which is focused on the OT. Like it or not. Everything they've done up to this point is adaptable to any other timeframe. Clone Wars, TOR, Legacy. They even drop stuff in from those lines as well as from other parts of the EU. Cortosis gauntlets (F&D) and shield gauntlets (KtP) are examples of items drawn from the EU. Being that while they are focusing on the OT they are also creating a toolbox to run games in any era I find anything not focused on the OT to rather unlikely. Again though they are not averse to dropping reference material of various types from those eras into books.

Running a Clone Wars game really wouldn't take much more than have access to AoR and F&D and fluff material.

I think you rather massively overestimate the hate of the PTs.  Not to mention underestimate the popularity of The Clone Wars.

No not really. All I stated was that the general dislike of the PT would taint the sales of a Clone Wars era book. That would be true. It would have only massively overestimated it if I had speculated on how bad it could be, which I don't. 

For the record I don't think any era book would sale as well as what they are currently doing. Mostly because the rules were built to represent a specific time frame. They can't just cut and paste a new era without first tinkering with the base rules. For instance, to even remotely run a TOR game you're going to have to start PC's with at least 300 xp. At least. They would need to refocus how the Force works too, since the TOR setting plays a lot more lose with the whole darkside/lightside thing than the OT era does. I don't expect after all the tinkering is done that a TOR/KotoR book would sale better than what they are doing now. Why? Because the fanbase for it is smaller and I don't feel that this game can convince people to continue to buy $60 core rules to pretty much do the same thing over and over again. Nor do I think a TOR/KoToR book would be different enough to give over the price tag for some fans. The same logic applies to a Clone Wars book, with the added problem of a Clone Wars book has to also deal with PT hate. This makes the audience it would appeal to smaller. 

Based on how they designed this game I don't agree that era books are a good idea. And I think FFG agrees, based on their prior comments about why they picked the OT and how they designed, market, and sale this game. 

Edited by Kael

Honestly, I think the biggest way to make Era Books happen is for enough discussion and the likes to prove there is a demand.

Heck, for all we know Gen Con could see a NEW Core Rulebook, not Era, but an actual Clone Wars focused Rulebook that's stand alone.

Personally, I hope not, but I could see it happening.  I'd still buy the heck out of it for sure.  Yet I'd despair at yet MORE wasted space on duplicated material.  That's why I'd love it to be line neutral, so to say.

I personally very much Dislike this option. I very much disliked that they did that with the Current 3 core books instead of Making a Core Player/GM Rule book and then doing some Player Based books for the general areas of Edge/AOR/F&D. 

Like some one else pointed out, by the time they are done? What will the total Retail value of everything be for these three, just counting Core and Career Books? 

I don't mind paying for what I enjoy and Play, but there is a Point where I feel it is more just gouging the player base. 

One of the reasons I hated D&D 3.X, that and I very much disliked the game itself. But it just became a series of Splat books just to Squeeze more money out of the players. 

From the very beginning, FFG seemed rather cognizant that they could only repackage the core rules so many times.  And the main reason they did three core books was so that they could give each portion of the "Star Wars experience" the attention each part deserved, as opposed to WotC taking the "kitchen sink" approach and relying on sourcebooks to flesh out different settings.  The Saga Edition core rulebook was particularly bad at this, as the book itself had minimal info on the three eras it did touch upon (Clone Wars/Prequels, Rebellion/Original Trilogy, and New Jedi Order) to the point that a prospective GM was better off going to Wookieepedia for setting details.

There are folks that love EotE and AoR, but want nothing to do with Force users of any stripe, so they're happy that FaD carves the major Force-related stuff out so that it can be safely ignored by that part of the fanbase.

Mouthymerc has a valid point in that any era-based supplement runs a high risk of not selling well, and that risk increases greatly if said era-based book is a core rulebook.  There's been a vocal contingent of gamers that cried foul over FFG going the three core rulebook route, and there was a chance that going with three separate game lines could have backfired on FFG.  Of course, there were folks that pitched a fit when White Wolf did exactly that with their new World of Darkness line, with a core rulebook that was as generic as you could get, and then requiring people to shell out extra cash for the rules to play your supernatural being of choice.  So really, there was no way that FFG was going to please everybody, so they instead went with the approach that best suited their design vision.  Seems to have worked out pretty well for them.

One of the things I've learned over my many years of gaming is that sometimes the universal approach to writing a core book is not the best option to go with. WEG and WotC did the universal approach. FFG saw how that worked out for those two companies, the general fan response, the quality of the supplements, rules holes, etc etc etc and they made a choice. They could have easily designed a universal Star Wars experience. What they went with though was what they felt was the definitive Star Wars experience. They decided to tell one kind of Star Wars and tell that Star Wars really well. 

And in general, it has worked. But it would be foolish to think that FFG could keep doing it over and over again with different era's and still meet with fan approval. 3 Books to tell the OT experience was a risky move. Frankly the more era's they latch on the risker this all gets. In part because different era's will require different mechanics. But there are only so many times you can sell people on that idea. 

Maybe, after they've finished all the career books and they've gotten enough feedback they'll rethink the era they wan to explore for a 2nd Edition. But right now, they are killing it with the OT, and the OT isn't even my favorite era to play in. 

Well, in WEG's defense, at the time they held the license, there really was only one era that had been established, that of the Original Trilogy.  It wasn't until they got to the 2nd Edition Revised & Expanded version of the core rulebook that things had really expanded beyond that point, and even then it only went about a decade or so past the Rebellion Era.

For the OCR and RCR, WotC had a bit more focus on the Prequel Era, since those were being made, with Lucasfilm even demanding a re-print of the core rulebook using as many photos from AotC as possible; the WotC staff simply decided to take that demand as an opportunity to patch up the OCR, which had been demonstrated to be woefully lacking in many areas.  Whether RCR was an actual improvement or just more of the same is up to the individual.

The thing i feel FFG did right with this system is publishing supplement books with something for everyone, PC's and GM's get something out of every single book. This means more groups are interested in buying every book as its more likely someone will find things useful. But the best bit is you could easily play multi year campaigns of a single Core book, there are enough options and adventure hooks for it, no supplement is actually required.

With L5R to work on now i can see a break coming up in the FFG releases. its probably over 2 years away, once we have all 18 Career books, 9+ adventures and 9+ region/world books. So there are a few years of work for them to get through, but they are surly not going to launch straight into 2nd Edition EotE. There may be an Errata before they consider this line complete, but so far there have been no hints of any other type of supplement.

2nd Edition? It would be sensible if it was written in the New Era time period, so i give it 6-7 years until we see a release. That way the New Trilogy will be complete, plus the lead time required for them to develop and write 2.0. the Dice mechanic probably wont change a lot, but there would need to be big enough changes to the rules for it to be worthwhile for them. Simply changing fluff wont cut it. So perhaps changes to the Career/Spec system, perhaps.

But this is all speculation, and a lot could change between now and 2023. Licences could change hands, businesses could be bought and sold, staff could move on and be replaced with people who's gaming styles are completely different.

FFG is sprinkling stuff from the Prequel trilogy and the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons throughout the Age of Rebellion and Force & Destiny books. The over the top stuff from the early Marvel and Dark Horse comics are either ignored or very lightly touched upon. The Yuushan Vong and New Jedi order stuff from the Extended Universe is completely ignored as it should be with the new movie trilogy coming.

Three sets of six career books is guaranteed. As for future Regional sourcebooks I think FFG will make a book mirroring Strongholds of Resistance featuring Coruscant and 10-12 of the most interesting Imperial worlds. For Edge of the Empire there probably will be a book featuring Tattooine and 10-12 Outer Rim worlds and maybe a book about the Corporate Sector. There will also be another Force & Destiny regional book.

I think there will be at least one more adventure book for each line.

The last career books will be published in 2018, anything beyond that even FFG and Disney don't know yet.

You're probably not far off in saying that the L5R acquisition will eventually cut into Star Wars.  Just like Star Wars pretty much meant the death of regular 40k releases.  Over in the Dark Heresy forum there's speculation about the next supplement being the last event.

You're probably not far off in saying that the L5R acquisition will eventually cut into Star Wars.  Just like Star Wars pretty much meant the death of regular 40k releases.  Over in the Dark Heresy forum there's speculation about the next supplement being the last event.

Well, as I understand it, a number of the folks that worked on Star Wars have since moved onto other projects.

Jay Little has left the company entirely (for health reasons), Andy Fischer is heading up the End of the World RPG series, and Kat Ostrander is working on something else (no official word that I've heard, but I'm hoping it's L5R-related given her love for the RPG and setting).  No real idea about Sam Stewart or the other guys, but they may also have been promoted or moved to other projects within the company.

So it does sound like FFG is starting to cut back on Star Wars RPG staffing, and quite possibly are looking at an end game of not publishing any new products once the last of the career sourcebooks (probably for Force and Destiny) has been released, and letting the RPG line lie fallow once they feel it's been "completed."

Of course, that doesn't mean FFG can't revisit the system after that point, especially if they think there's a market for a new edition.